Profile for Mr. R. J. King > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. J. King

Mr. R. J. King (Cambridge, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Lenovo T440p 14-inch ThinkPad Laptop (Intel Core i7 2.4 GHz Processor, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB HDD, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit)
Price: £1,190.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly awesome, 18 Oct. 2014
Purchased this laptop to replace my ageing Toshiba Satellite Pro. Very happy with most aspects, but a couple of annoyances.

First the good stuff. This is very obviously a professionals machine. It's sturdy and very solid with a great keyboard that offers very clear tactile feedback. The keys don't feel cramped and it's possible to type quickly and accurately.
The screen is excellent. It's very bright and clear and displays colours clearly. Battery life is excellent. I routinely run may laptop off battery for four or five hours between charges, and it also appears to charge very quickly when connected to the mains. The mains connector is rectangular and similar in format to USB, and is very satisfying to use. Again, this gives a feel of solidity and robustness.

Performance is excellent. I selected this device because I wanted to use Ubuntu as my primary OS, and it works really well. I've been tempted to replace the spinning HDD with an SSD, but not sure how much benefit I would see.

Now the bad. This laptop doesn't have an HDMI connector. I was so sure that it would when I purchased it that I never even checked. As most laptops, and even desktop PCs, have this as standard it seems like a major omission. This is not a small device and there's plenty of room for an HDMI socket. I'd certainly have been happy to loose one of the four USB sockets for this.

My biggest annoyance by far with this laptop is the touchpad. Lenovo have copied the Apple 'rocking' mechanism which sees the whole pad respond to a hard press. It's far too easy to inadvertently do multi-touch and move the cursor unexpectedly on the screen. It's also hard to right-click unless you press the pad right in the bottom corner. A simple flat pad with two buttons would have been much easier and more satisfying to use. I've persevered with the pad, expecting that at some point I would see the benefits, but a month into using this device I still dislike it.

Fantastic Mr Fox (Colour Edn) (Dahl Colour Editions)
Fantastic Mr Fox (Colour Edn) (Dahl Colour Editions)
by Roald Dahl

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Classic, 21 July 2014
I read this book way back in the 80s when I was a young child and I loved it. My kids are at an age where we can read together and have outgrown the Julia Donaldson books. This was exactly the right thing to move on to. I remember this book being quite long, but you could comfortably read it in under an hour with children.
My kids loved it. The story is classic Roald Dahl, with humor and a little of the darkness that seems to engage children without scaring them. Quentin Blake's illustrations are instantly recognisable and add a lot to the story.
We finished it in a few evenings and they want it again!

Philips HTL2150/12 Soundbar Speaker 60W with Subwoofer (New for 2013)
Philips HTL2150/12 Soundbar Speaker 60W with Subwoofer (New for 2013)
Offered by SKYWISH

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor first impressions and eventually abandoned, 21 July 2014
Purchased this about a week ago and I'm not that impressed. Connected to my TV via the stereo connection (red/white) rather than optical and the sound was obviously better than my Sony flat screen, but it's hard to control it. The remote is small and insubstantial with annoying blister buttons. Not what I would have expected from Philips. What's more, it doesn't seem to work that well. It takes several button pushes to turn it on, and it's very reluctant to alter the bass, treble or volume. Lots of pressing and watching the amber light flicker, but nothing seems to happen until I stand up and change the volume manually using the control on the top of the bar. This might just be a dodgy battery in the remote, so I've ordered a replacement, but not a good start. Also, when I turn it on it doesn't remember the input, so I have to frustratingly click through to AUX before there's any sound at all. Lastly, I pressed the 'surround' button on the remote to see what happened. The audio gained a lot of echo, and even when I turned surround sound off there's now a noticeable lag of a few tenths of a second in audio between the TV and the sound bar. It's fine if you mute the TV, but still quite irritating. I've ordered a replacement battery and an optical lead to see if that makes it usable, but first impressions are not good.

Edit: I purchased an optical connection and replaced the battery in the remote. The optical lead didn't make much difference, but with a new battery the remote now lets me increase the volume and turn the bar on and off consistently. Little disappointed that Philips allowed the device to ship with a flat battery, but now working better.

Another edit: I've now abandoned the sound bar and replaced it with an AV receiver. Really disappointing and I would have expected much better from Philips. The requirement to cycle the input back to AUX every time it's turned on was annoying, but the deal-breaker was the incredibly poor response to the remote. Taking fifty or more presses of the button to move from minimum to maximum volume, and the failing to respond reliably to the mute button, made this unusable.

Roberts Stream 83i Stereo DAB/FM/WiFi Internet Radio with 3 Way Speaker System
Roberts Stream 83i Stereo DAB/FM/WiFi Internet Radio with 3 Way Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars Good all-round device, 10 Jun. 2014
I bought this radio for our kitchen as a general purpose machine that would let us listen to normal DAB, audiobooks, iPod collections and Internet stations, and it does all these things extremely well.

It is well build and robust ad does not take up much room. The sound quality is excellent and the display is bright and clear. I haven't tried the Last.FM function yet, so can't speak to how good that part is. Getting it on the wifi was easy, and like the fact this has an Ethernet port that would allow direct connection to my DSL router if I needed to.

I have a few (reasonably minor) gripes with the device. Firstly, I frequently plug in my phone via the AUX connection so I can listen to audio books or Podcasts. This means that I frequently switch between modes, and I find it frustrating that I have to do this using one of the small circular buttons on the front. It's easy to go past the mode you need and have to cycle round again. I find this a little frustrating. I would prefer to have had large buttons similar to the presets to do this. More preset buttons would also be nice, but I understand that five is pretty much the industry standard. Lastly, I don't find this Stereo very useful for Podcasts. There's no ability to pause, forward or rewind what's playing, which I appreciate is probably a limitation of the way the material is being streamed, but I find this frustrating as I like to be able to skip ads or pause what's playing.

Would recommend this device. Very happy with it.

Anker® Screen Protector for Google Nexus 5 [3 Pack] Highly-Transparent Anti-Glare Anti-Fingerprint (Matte) with Lifetime Warranty
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 April 2014
I've had differing experiences with screen protectors on a variety of Apple and Android devices. Normally the sight of a tiny bubble or speck of dust trapped under the screen is enough to make me tear it off and throw it away. These Anker covers come with all the things you need to do the job properly. A little cloth to clean the screen with. A lightly adhesive sticker to pick up the dust that's left, and a small plastic card to help you push any bubbles out. Also like the fact it comes with three protectors, so you don't have to get it right first time. The matte finish is nice, and gives the screen a pleasing tactile feel under your finger and reduces reflections on the screen.

Homecraft Cast and Dressing Leg Protector
Homecraft Cast and Dressing Leg Protector

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and useful, 20 Feb. 2014
Bought this for my wife when she broke her foot. It's made of tough and good quality material and is very durable and well made. The seal at the top works well. Made showering and bathing much easier, and was certainly an improvement over cling-film.

TePe Interdental Brush Red 0.5mm Pack of 6
TePe Interdental Brush Red 0.5mm Pack of 6
Offered by Medideals

4.0 out of 5 stars Cleen teeth, 17 Dec. 2013
They feel pretty uncomfortable when you first start to use these interdental brushes, and to being with, I had quite a lot of blood from between my teeth, but if you persevere they do work.

Anker® 2nd Gen Astro E5 16000mAh 2-Port (3A Output) Portable Charger  External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets (Black)
Anker® 2nd Gen Astro E5 16000mAh 2-Port (3A Output) Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of power on the move, 17 Dec. 2013
I bought this charger for use on flights, to make sure my iPad and phone don't run out of power. I chose it because at the time it was the one with the highest capacity. For my needs it works flawlessly, delivering enough juice from the 2AMP socket to charge either device quickly.
The design is solid and pleasing. The button is perhaps a little bit too recessed and not as satisfyingly "clicky" as some other devices I've used.
It comes with a small black drawstring bag to keep it protected. Would recommend this to anyone who needs a lot of additional power to mobile devices.

Panasonic All-in-One Nose & Ear Hair Trimmer with Built-in Light, Wet/Dry Operation & Dual-Edge Stainless Steel Blade
Offered by PADNOTE

5.0 out of 5 stars No more unslightly hair!, 3 Aug. 2013
I've reached an age where ear and nose hair have become an issue in my life. Worse, the hair in my nostrils has started turning white, and so I urgently needed a way to remove it. First I purchased a non-branded trimmer from my local supermarket. It did the job, but with a lot of effort, and it frequently missed hairs. When it broke after a few weeks I decided to go to the premium end of the market.

The Panasonic trimmer was the most expensive one on Amazon, but still less than £20. The blade is very sharp and the orientation of the cutting holes means it doesn't seem to miss much hair. I'm not sure about the light, which neither points in the right direction or casts enough light to be helpful. Other than that it's an excellent product.

It's a much better product than it's unbranded predecessor and I'd heartily recommend it to anyone who's life is blighted by unwanted orifice hair.

12 Kelso Tea Spoons Cutlery Dining Set Canteen
12 Kelso Tea Spoons Cutlery Dining Set Canteen
Offered by RightPrice Catering Equipment

3.0 out of 5 stars What can you say about a spoon?, 3 Aug. 2013
It's hard to write a review of a spoon. They are adequate. Not especially expensive, they are quite flimsy and bend. We bought them for the kids to take to school in their packed lunches, knowing they'd get lost. For this purpose, they excel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3