Profile for HD > Reviews

HD

Harman/Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1 Channel Multimedia Sound System
Harman/Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1 Channel Multimedia Sound System

5.0 out of 5 stars One word: Amazing, 1 Dec. 2010
After hearing the Harman Kardon II's a few times from my friends, and in the Apple store, I was intrigued and wanted to give these a shot.

It's worth noting that this model is an upgrade from the previous Harman Kardon Soundsticks II. There a few differences:
1. Black base on the HK3 instead of the previous white. Personally I think the black looks much sleeker.
2. The audio cables are detachable rather than attached directly to the subwoofer. It's also worth noting that the cables are not detachable from the satellite speakers however.
3. Instead of the blue LED light that featured in the previous version, this one shows off a white LED light. Which one is `better' is down to personal preference, I like the white one myself.

Thoughts:

These speakers are really something special. The sound clarity is so accurate and crisp that I have noticed some of my songs in my collection have a `hiss' sound that I have never heard before, indicating they are poor quality versions. Furthermore, I hear sounds in songs that I've not heard before on my late Logitech Z-2300's. The louder you play these speakers the more beautiful the sound is. They are also superb for movies, the bass can easily be turned down preventing it from drowning out the vocals in films. Overall in terms of sound they are easily the best I've heard in this price range, and I honestly think they are not far off the Bose Companions.

In terms of physical build, despite the sensational design, no compromises on quality were made. They feel so solid and quality. The speaker's angle can be adjusted depending on how you prefer them. Just a word of advice, the angle of the speakers and their location can have a big influence on the quality of the sound produced. It's something that's worth getting right. The subwoofer is beautiful with three wires coming out from the back, all of which are detachable. The wires feel strong and are also a similar colour to the system making them fit in perfectly.

The Good:
- Amazing sound quality and bass
- Easy on the eyes
- Solid build
- Priced well

The Bad:
- Too many bulky cables come from the back of the subwoofer

I've owned these for two weeks now, and will add more details if anything relevant comes up. So far, so good though!

Prior to purchasing these speakers I owned the Logitech Z-2300 set. Here is a quick comparison between the two, if you are deciding between these two speaker sets:
1. The Logitech has much deeper bass than the HK3 set, but excessive bass that drowned out the rest of the sound. That makes the Logitechs poor for movies.
2. The HK3 is obviously much sexier, smaller, and more desk friendly.
3. Although the Logitech Z-2300's are obviously much louder, the HK3 provides more than enough volume for the average user, even if it's for a house party.
4. Finally the quality of the sound and its clarity is far more superior on the HK3.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2012 12:06 AM GMT