Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

The Road Headed West: A Cycling Adventure Through North America
The Road Headed West: A Cycling Adventure Through North America
by Leon McCarron

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just your average travel book..., 17 Oct 2014
I thought this was written in a very easy to read way. Having seen McCarron at a travel film festival he writes as he speaks, with wit and clever observations of human behaviour, all without the cynicism that can affect travel writing.
I think that this book will not only appeal to those interested in travel but also those who wish to read a book that is not just about a physical journey but also the adventure of discovering one's self and wonder in the world around us.

The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English: Complete Edition
The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English: Complete Edition
by Geza Vermes

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good., 30 April 2012
This translation got me through my DSS module. Vermes' ideas about the texts are clear and very insightful; this translation provides an excellent base for study of the DSS and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to learn/study the DSS without being lost in scholarly waffle.

How To Be a Woman
How To Be a Woman
by Caitlin Moran

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book!, 30 April 2012
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Paperback)
I loved this, it's funny and witty and describes situations that every woman can empathise with even if they haven't been in exactly the same situation yourself, the lads aren't excluded in this as C.M manages to write and reveal a very easy and down to earth feminism without being 'ranty' and as such is very accessible.

I would recommend this to any and everyone, I laughed out loud (and got funny looks from strangers on the train) and even cryed at some bits, a must read for everyone I think.

The Warlord Wants Forever (The Immortals After Dark Series Book 1)
The Warlord Wants Forever (The Immortals After Dark Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, but I'm biased ...., 30 April 2012
I must say at the beginning of this review that Kresley Cole is one of my favourite authors in this genre. As the first book in the series Immortals After Dark (it was originally released in the anthology Playing Easy to Get (Immortals After Dark 1)) This book, The Warlord Wants Forever introduces a great world and cast of characters and I personally couldn't wait to see what came next.

As to the book itself, I must have read it about 10 times since I got it last year and every time it's still entertaining. It manages to give the reader a little bit of everything without compromising and falling short on what makes a really good story. The characters are developed and you can't help but empathise with them, the plot draws you in and there's even humour scattered amongst the hot scenes and the drama; I would say read this if you like to read about feisty females and scorching-hot alpha males in fantastic stories and settings, K.C manages to deliver the above without resorting to the usual paranormal clichés and as a result this book (and series) is really rather good and very entertaining.

As I said before, I really recommend this book and Kresley Cole as an author, you'll see what I mean if you read it, you can't help but want more.

Arctic Winds (Alpine Woods Shifters Book 1)
Arctic Winds (Alpine Woods Shifters Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice read., 30 April 2012
Arctic winds is ok, I feel the length means that the development of relationships between characters is rushed. The whole thing could do with being longer to allow for a connection to the characters and to care about what happens.
Overall it's a fluffy shifter romance novel, not bad but it didn't blow me away either.

The Battle Sylph
The Battle Sylph

4.0 out of 5 stars Tricky one this ...., 28 April 2012
This review is from: The Battle Sylph (Kindle Edition)
Overall I liked this book and will probably buy the rest in the series as well, however, there are a few issues I think people should know if they want to buy this; the main couple in this book while fairly developed and engaging are very young (teen-aged), and as such I found it not difficult but odd to connect with them. (I'm not much older myself but it still felt weird.) The world the books are set in is good and this book sets the scene well for the ones later in the series, I want particularly to read the story of a secondary character(Ril).

I found this book a good read and I enjoyed it but if you're looking for a story with strong male characters then it probably won't do it for you. However, the story flows well and is very entertaining, overall I would recommend the book.

Darkness Dawns (Immortal Guardians Book 1)
Darkness Dawns (Immortal Guardians Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not your normal Vampire story ..., 28 April 2012
I was recommended this book by Amazon as it fits in with my usual kindle purchases. It starts off promising with the requisite drama and blood-shed followed by the devastatingly handsome hero meeting the spunky heroine. However, after this it goes down-hill, don't get me wrong it was enjoyable and there are some good emotional moments as well as some hot(ish) scenes, but I feel the overall book was ruined by the 'preachyness' of the organics and environmental content.

Although the environmental issues brought up are important, personally I read to escape the real world and don't want to have to worry about the 'greenness' of washing-up-up liquid when I'm reading about Vampiric escapades. Oh yes, and really, a sexy alpha hero driving a Prius? I laughed at that one!

As to characters and plot, while nothing was wrong with them they simply failed to connect or present much depth. The same with the plot, it felt rather convoluted and slow to unfold, as well as the seemingly major hurdles that were brought up were all overcome almost immediately with no real effort.

Overall I found this book to be OK but nothing special, if you're looking for entertainment with depth of characters, a well developed and coherent world containing some sexy lead characters and scenes, I'd look elsewhere.

However, if you want something fairly light and don't mind being preached to a bit then try it, you may well like it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2012 10:12 PM GMT

Taunting Krell (Cyborg Seduction, Book Seven)
Taunting Krell (Cyborg Seduction, Book Seven)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum, Cyborgs ... Krell, 18 April 2012
I love this book (and this series) and if you like seriously ALPHA-males then Laurann Dohner is the right author for you! There's enough hot stuff and emotion to make this a really good read, and it links in with the previous books so make sure you read them in order.

Caine
Caine

2.0 out of 5 stars Caine, not for me thanks., 18 April 2012
This review is from: Caine (Kindle Edition)
Basically I didn't enjoy it, it seemed overly complicated and too simple at the same time. (That's all I can say without spoilers.) But if you want something away from the norm you might enjoy this.

Immortal (Immortal Trilogy Book 1)
Immortal (Immortal Trilogy Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well..., 2 Dec 2010
Although this was a good read I found myself annoyed at times with the blatant similarities to both Twilight and Vampire Diaries. There seemed to be too much influence from both and not enough of something unique. Still enjoyable though.