Profile for Rococo Choufleur > Reviews

Content by Rococo Choufleur

Rococo Choufleur "Ciao" (Eddleston, Peebleshire)

No Matter What: An Adoptive Family's Story of Hope, Love and Healing
No Matter What: An Adoptive Family's Story of Hope, Love and Healing
by Sally Donovan

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest & impressive, 28 July 2013
In this memoir, Sally Donovan shares her family with us. Having explained why she and her husband chose to become adopters, she relates in detail how that decision changed their lives: a young, traumatised brother and sister became their son and daughter, bringing both joy and ongoing challenges to the couple.

This book doesn't gloss over the recurring trauma that children who've been neglected and abused bring with them; nor does it skirt around the fact that post-adoption support is often lacking and that the schools system can be ignorant and dismissive of adopted children's needs. Sally and Rob's feelings of exhaustion and sometimes loneliness are laid bare.

Ultimately, though, No Matter What is about love, and the dedication of a resourceful mother in fighting for her children and learning how to redress the damage of their early experiences. Donovan argues persuasively that children who've been starved of care as babies can't just be expected to slot into normal family life. A more radical, elemental form of parenting is needed.

Donovan writes well, concisely, honestly and often with humour. As the (albeit non-adoptive) parent of a child with special needs, I found her descriptions of feeling adrift from the 'normal' mums in her community particularly resonant.

I would recommend this book to anyone keen to gain an insight into adoption or just to enjoy Donovan's eloquent writing.

Alan Titchmarsh Fat Balls (Pack of 50)
Alan Titchmarsh Fat Balls (Pack of 50)

5.0 out of 5 stars As lovely as you'd expect, 3 Dec. 2012
It's long been an ambition of mine to get my hands on Alan Titchmarsh's fat balls. Throughout his television career, I've fantasised about doing so. Now I have, and I can honestly say I'm not disappointed. Alan Titchmarsh's fat balls feel and smell exactly as I dreamt they would. Their texture is sublime. I like to rub them on my face. Surely any bird would adore Alan Titchmarsh's fat balls.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2013 9:43 PM GMT

A Billion Jokes (Volume 1)
A Billion Jokes (Volume 1)
by Peter Serafinowicz

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 3 Nov. 2012
Bought this as a Christmas present. Very funny, plenty to keep you engaged -- a solid wodge of humour from the consistent Serafinowicz.

Trademark Collections Spiderman Movie Umbrella (Red)
Trademark Collections Spiderman Movie Umbrella (Red)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 17 Aug. 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars
This fell to bits literally the first time it was used - spoke detached and pierced the umbrella. Very disappointing indeed.

Good Moaning Brattan: A Gade To Loving In Brattan
Good Moaning Brattan: A Gade To Loving In Brattan

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mosterpiss, 22 July 2012
I lick this boak. I lick it a groat dole. Its arthur is foully boylungual and shores his bread nailedge of loaf in the Yourknitted Kongdom of Groat Bratten and Nithen Oarland. As a Frinch spoker, I hid now odear befar noo whit loaf oz treely lick in Bratten, bit noo I dow, and wool be oble to cownfiduntly sexchange chat-chit and tattle-tittle with Onglish sparkers when I'm noxt in Borminghim on buzzness. Thonkyou, Efficer Cribtroo, thonkyou.

Gren Peppard and the Lost Boy
Gren Peppard and the Lost Boy

5.0 out of 5 stars A great yarn, 7 May 2012
I really enjoyed this warmly-told story. I found the plot pacey and gripping, the characters sympathetic and the writing humane and incisive. Would definitely read another book by this author.

Pokemon Annual 2011
Pokemon Annual 2011
by Pedigree Books Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Sold as new but used, 30 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Pokemon Annual 2011 (Hardcover)
I bought this as new, but it is used. The colouring-in pages have already been filled in. Daughter it was bought for very disappointed.

DEAN GAFFNEY - Canvas Clock (A4 - Signed by the Artist) #js001
DEAN GAFFNEY - Canvas Clock (A4 - Signed by the Artist) #js001

5.0 out of 5 stars Nought to sixty, 20 Oct. 2011
Thanks to this wonderful product, I've been able to combine my two hobbies (clock-watching, and fantasising about former soap stars) and now know that it takes me 2 minutes and 12 seconds PRECISELY to achieve a personal apogee of underwear-based excitement. Thanks, Deano.

Playmobil 4826 Wildlife Care Station
Playmobil 4826 Wildlife Care Station
Offered by Toner Inc Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Popular toy but expensive, 2 Jan. 2011
My almost-four-year-old loves this toy, which has plenty of wee bits and animals to play with. It's very fiddly to put together though, and is a bit overpriced for the amount of toy you get.

Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars Drill me like Texas., 17 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
As a busy working mother of two, who's a mother, and a businesswoman, and busy, I don't have time to mess around. I need food on the go, and a toothpaste I can trust. I also need to know that, when I need to know that my Paul Ross print is over the mantlepiece, it really IS over the mantlepiece. This one is. Which is what I like about it. My husband, meanwhile, who's a busy working father of two, who's a father, and a businessman, and also busy (except every second Tuesday when bellringing practice from 4pm-5pm is his only commitment) likes the fact that this Paul Ross print is wipe-clean. (My busy working husband has occasionally spilled his yoghurt over Paul's jowly mancheeks.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2013 8:48 PM BST