Profile for PhillyJQ > Reviews

Content by PhillyJQ

PhillyJQ (Bedfordshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Hershey's Cookie 'n' Creme Cereal 10.9 OZ (309g)
Hershey's Cookie 'n' Creme Cereal 10.9 OZ (309g)
Offered by SOUTH AFRICAN FOODS

5.0 out of 5 stars More like vanilla than chocolate, 3 Aug. 2015
A great cereal for me because I prefer vanilla over chocolate. I LOVE them!

Predator 3D [Blu-ray]
Predator 3D [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film let down by mediocre 3-D, 30 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Predator 3D [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Great action film with brilliant special-effects (how does one show an invisible creature? Well, they did it to my satisfaction!). Ably directed by John McTiernan, a year before his acclaimed success with DIE HARD (1988). The film deserves at least 5 stars, but the 3-D deserves around 2 stars. Most of the scenes look like cardboard cut-outs stuck in front of each other (which I was warned about by other reviewers, but took the chance because of my LOVE for 3-D films!). The actors had depth between one another, but there was no fullness or solidity to them.

In case you're wondering, I have a high-spec Panasonic 4K 3-D Blu-Ray player, less than a year old, & a 55" UHD Sony 3-D TV (55X8505) only 6 months old. All my HDMI cables are v2.0, not 1.4 ...so my hardware shouldn't be wanting. Great film, but the stereoscopic work is disappointing.

The Big Easy (Blu-ray)
The Big Easy (Blu-ray)
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, but still great!, 30 May 2015
This review is from: The Big Easy (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
I never saw this film with the legendary 'missing scene', so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. If I did, I might give it only 4 stars, or less, but I don't, so it still gets 5 stars (missing scene or not, it's a great film...a flawed masterpiece!).

I must admit that the missing scene, between the explosion & the very last scene of Quaid & Barkin, does makes more sense of the closing events and it's removal makes no sense at all! The original film ran for 104 or 108 minutes (depending on what source you read); this Blu-Ray is only 100 minutes, alas. If you've never seen the full-length version, get this one, you won't feel that you're missing anything (even if you are).

This is a German R2 disk which plays easily in a UK machine. After it goes through the usual copyright warnings, 3 German options will be displayed. Click on the first highlighted option, and the movie will start playing normally in English. Good quality transfer, and a noticeable improvement in resolution compared to the DVD.

Hama Double DVD Jewel Cases - White
Hama Double DVD Jewel Cases - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 28 April 2015
High quality double cases. Great for storing special films so that they stand out from the crowd!

Syba 2 Port eSATA 6Gbps PCI-Express x1 RAID Controller Card
Syba 2 Port eSATA 6Gbps PCI-Express x1 RAID Controller Card

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me!, 5 April 2015
I don't know how one is suppose to plug a cable into this adapter (or any of the other e-SATA adapters that I checked). You'll notice that the slots are very off center. How does anyone push an e-SATA plug in, if the slot is so far over that the computer casing is obstructing a bit of the aperture? My case has never proved difficult with any other plug (e-SATA, USB, printer cable, graphics card, PS/2, etc.).
Even when I managed to get the e-SATA cable in (tenuously!), I could see my external drive only in Windows 7, not in XP. The supplied driver did not help any.

Event Horizon [Blu-ray] [1997] [US Import]
Event Horizon [Blu-ray] [1997] [US Import]
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars Great visuals, and a creepy scenario which should keep ..., 3 April 2015
This is in my opinion, an underrated film. Great visuals, and a creepy scenario which should keep most sci-fi fans interested!

The Authoritative Calvin And Hobbes: The Calvin & Hobbes Series: Book Seven: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
by Bill Watterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the jokes and the artwork, 3 Mar. 2015
I bought this for my son because I knew that he & his wife would enjoy it very much. So do I! The jokes are very clever, and I like Watterson's artwork very much. There's a lot of talent behind those simple cartoons!

Babe - Pig In The City [Blu-ray] [1998]
Babe - Pig In The City [Blu-ray] [1998]
Dvd ~ Mickey Rooney

5.0 out of 5 stars A very successful sequel, 3 Mar. 2015
This sequel is different from the first "Babe" film, but just as good in my opinion (flawless special-effects). Almost surrealistic in parts. Just as charming & funny as the original.

Vanilla Chex 382g 13.5oz
Vanilla Chex 382g 13.5oz
Offered by SOUTH AFRICAN FOODS

5.0 out of 5 stars A great vanilla cereal!, 3 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Vanilla Chex 382g 13.5oz (Misc.)
There aren't many vanilla cereals around, so if you really like vanilla -then buy this one! I love it, but like all American cereals, it is a bit expensive, but the postage is reasonable. Take a chance -treat yourself!

NO. 1 LADIES DETECTIVE AGENCY
NO. 1 LADIES DETECTIVE AGENCY

5.0 out of 5 stars The ONLY edition to buy, if your player accepts Region 1 disks (USA), 16 Feb. 2015
This is the only COMPLETE series of the program. It runs for 451 minutes, as opposed to other 'complete' series which run for only 350 minutes (usually missing the pilot). It contains the original BBC 2-hour pilot episode (directed by Anthony Minghella) and the 6 subsequent 1-hour episodes.
To get the complete series (without buying this Region 1 set), you would have to buy the pilot episode & subsequent episodes separately.

This is a great BBC/HBO series which I love!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12