Profile for Kryptonix > Reviews

Koss UR-20 Stereo Headphones
Offered by Gee Gadgets
Price: 17.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Headphones for the money, 4 July 2014
These are exceptionally good headphones for the money. They are big and look a bit stupid (though I think they look quite cool) but they are very comfortable for extended use. Very well cushioned and cover the ear nicely. The cord is straight and not too long, but of adequate length.

The only problem with these is that they sound so good, that you end up using them more than you should. I have a pair of Sony MDR-7506 that cost over a hundred quid and a couple of pairs of cheap Sennheisers, to compare them to, and these sound fantastic.

They are 32 ohms, so that means they are quite loud compared to other headphones, so no complaints there. They are a closed back design which means that you can blast them out as loud as they go and people around you won't be able to hear. This also means they block out sound from outside too as a bonus.

There really isn't anything in this price range that compares with the comfort, loudness and sound quality of these cans. The bass is full and pronounced but not over emphasized, giving a truly wonderful listening experience. They are also solidly built and can take a lot of punsishment, again, for the price. Mine gave up and fell to bits after 2 years of wearing them to bed at night whilst sleeping! I have just bought my second pair.

If there is a better pair of cans out there for the money, I'd like to know about it.

D'Addario EJ16 Phosphor Bronze Light  (.012-.053) Acoustic Guitar Strings
D'Addario EJ16 Phosphor Bronze Light (.012-.053) Acoustic Guitar Strings
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A very unusual type of string, 4 July 2014
These strings take a few days to play in. Quiet frankly, they sound terrible when you first put them on - tinny and harsh. However, after a few days, they mellow out. Usually it is the other way with strings - they sound great when you first put them on and after a few days they deaden and lose their life. These strings work totally in reverse. If you put them on your guitar and it sounds bad, just play them in a bit.

The truly amazing thing about these strings is that, even though they may not end up sounding like the best strings in the world after you have 'broken them in', the tone you get at that point wil last years, literally. I have had a set on an old acoustic for 2 years, and they still sound great! Unbelievable. But true. Any other set of strings would sound really really bad by this point. But these just keep on sounding good.

If I could just have one set of strings for the proverbial desert island, it would be these. Exceptional strings - maybe not the absolute best tone in the world, but once played in, they are very good and last absolutely ages without losing their tone.

Samsung S24B350BS 24 inch Widescreen LED Monitor - Gloss Black (1920 x 1080 Full HD, 5ms, VGA)

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice monitor, 13 July 2012
Ordered from Amazon and arrived within three working days. Great! Opened it up and set it up after having a quick glance at the info it came with. Didn't install the Samsung Software that came with it, as I already have Software installed for a Samsung 22" I recently bought. Worked perfectly well after having to turn it off and turn it on again, to get rid of the 'Check Connection' that came flashing on the dead screen. Then worked like a charm, with it being recognised and even set to the correct resolution without me changing it.

The base is sturdy enough, but does NOT tilt or adjust in any way. The singular small red LED in the corner is subtle and does not stand out in the dark.The touch controls work well and are straightforward enough. You will probably have to take the brightness down from 100 to about 10 unless you wear welders goggles when viewing. Works in Linux too, again with resolution being auto-detected.

It is a fairly light monitor for it's size and nice and slim, but best of all it does not have that annoying reflective edge that my 22" has which can be a bit distracting. I'm not an expert, but it has a great picture and it is a joy to do graphic design on. I suppose there would be better monitors out there, but for the money, at this size, I don't see what could touch this particular model at this price.

Only one niggle, but it's a major one. Samsung really let the side down by giving a really short power cable that you will have to find an extension for, from somewhere else in the house or buy a new one. This is such an annoying and pointless omission that I am giving this only three stars instead of five. Really, an extra few feet would make all the difference. You get a vga cable and plug for euro sockets, but it comes in two parts and the other half is not long enough to stretch halfway across the width of a tiny room. You may want to buy one if you plan on setting up and using this monitor out of the box.

PreSonus AudioBox Studio Complete Hardware/Software Recording Kit
PreSonus AudioBox Studio Complete Hardware/Software Recording Kit
Price: 149.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Some feedback on this, 8 Jun 2012
First of all, I haven't bought this package, but just want to make a comment about a couple of things included.
I bought the headphones the other day, and they are really great. They even sound better than my Sonys which cost over a hundred pounds. They are comfortable and easily adjusted and look great.

As for the software, I used Artist for a while before upgrading to the full version. It is limited, yes, but check out it's limitations before buying and you will probably not be disappointed. The program was written by the lads who wrote Cubase and many functions are similar if you are familiar with that program. It also has a few tricks from the Ableton school of things as well. I have about 5 or 6 D.A.Ws and this is probably the most elegant and powerful of the lot.

As for the other bits and pieces, I can't honestly say, but seeing as it is Presonus who have a reputation for great quality gear and the price it is going for, I would say - go for it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2012 11:47 AM BST

Keysonic KSK-6001UELX Compact Gaming Keyboard with Blue Backlight UK Layout
Keysonic KSK-6001UELX Compact Gaming Keyboard with Blue Backlight UK Layout
Price: 28.74

3.0 out of 5 stars Problematic Installation - This is how you get it to work, 8 Jun 2012
I just bought one of these and just spent a little over two hours last night installing it.
There is a website you can go to, to download the drivers and instructions. Their instructions are no help - it says: Install the software. But does not tell you how.

This is how I did it in win7. Run the setup file as they so helpfully say, then navigate to where you installed it. There will be a DRIVER setup program there that you need run or this will NOT work. No wonder so many have had problems with it. I build computers and am educated to degree level, but it took me two hours to figure out, restarting and waiting for windows to update etc..

My win7 is 64-bit and the drivers were tucked away in a folder in there. You still need to read the .pdf that comes from the site and run the configuration software if you want to set it up how you like it. But getting it to work at all was a major hurdle, so I'm going to leave that for later on.

Ok, rubbish installation instructions aside, what it this keyboard like?
Well, in short, it is superb - it would have got one star from me otherwise. The action is swift and smooth, not too clicky, but with just the right amount of spring and feedback. At least for me anyway.
The backlight can be switched off easily and it is not too bright. It provides a beautiful glow, with everything easily seen in the dark.

It is compact and has a standard setup with everything you would expect. The customization features seem to be absolutely immense, but I have not used them yet, so can't comment.

Great keyboard let down by very poor installation instructions.

So in short: You need to navigate to the folder where you installed the sofware for the keyboard, then run the driver set up program (which took ages btw). The program they tell you to run only configures the keyboard, it does not set the drivers up. If you don't run the driver setup program this keyboard will NOT work. They could have mentioned this. Still it is a really great keyboard once set up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2013 4:04 AM GMT

OCZ ATV USB Drive 4GB OCZUSBATV4G
OCZ ATV USB Drive 4GB OCZUSBATV4G
Price: 10.80

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 8 Jun 2012
First off, I just want to say, this is my favorite usb stick ever. Well, it used to be. I have a couple of these still going strong from a few years back. They are rugged, waterproof and very fast. I run Linux distros off them. But this is a new version. The rubber end of it bends and feels flimsy - totally unlike the originals.
The led is a different colour too, so it is a different product altogether. Mine lasted a week.

Kikatek were really great and refunded me the money that I paid for it. But I lost out a fiver on the postage and packaging. Oh well, won't be buying one of these again.

Just bought a Kingston Data Traveller DTR-400 from Scan for a fiver and I tested it in HDTune and it is as fast as the OCZ - though it claims to be slower speed. It comes in red rubber too.

I won't buy OCZ any more - really shoddy of them to do this.

Gigabyte GM-M6800 - Mouse - optical - 5 buttons - wired - USB - noble black(GM-M6800)
Offered by ADMI Limited UK
Price: 9.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little mouse, 8 Jun 2012
Just bought my fourth or fifth one of these. I can't remember - I have bought a couple for family and friends. I was a bit disappointed that my last one only lasted about 18 months, but it did get a lot of use and I kept using it from the side so the extended cable was always being pulled in that direction. So the lead eventually broke coming out of the mouse. This time I am wrapping a little bit of black electrical masking tape around this area and that should ensure that the same does not happen again.

I also have the Gigabyte GM-M6880 Gaming Laser USB Mouse and that is a really nice mouse in the same price range. It is a little heavier and feels a bit more substantial than the M6800, but for that reason I use it on my desktop and use the M6800 on my leg when I am being lazy and using my laptop at night. Even though it is light it is like stroking silk with it's action. If anything the GM-M6880 seemed a bit heavy while I used it as a replacement, waiting for this one to arrive.

The tracking is superb. I use X-Mouse Button Control - a free utility - to set the five buttons as I want them, quickly and efficiently. I can't recommend this program highly enough. It gives you much more scope for using the mouse however you want.

The mouse gives off a slight red glow which I like, but maybe would annoy somebody. The only other thing which disappointed me was the fact that the rubber grips are held on with adhesive and come a bit loose after pro-longed and sweaty use. It is just a case of sticking it back on and it seems to stay there till the next sweaty session.

So apart from those couple of niggles, I would say you won't get a better mouse for your money in this price range. So, four out of five stars from me, all considered.

USB 2.0 / eSATA HDD Enclosure For 2.5" SATA Hard Drive With "One Touch Button" Instant Backup In Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Stuff, 24 Jun 2011
Arrived the next day from the 24HourShop. Great service. Just had a couple of old 40Gb HDs that were kicking around, so didn't want
to spend much money on a caddy for them - wasn't even sure if they working after all this time. Anyway, got them fixed up with the kit
they gave (screwdriver etc.) and fired them up - perfect. For the money, these are great units. As has been mentioned, they do 'rattle' ever
so slightly in the caddy, but for the money and just for some old drives they are excellent. If I had a more recent drive with more gigs, I
would probably buy something a bit more 'high quality', but I am very happy for what I wanted them for. Oh and the Green and Red L.E.D.s at
the front give some nice feedback when the drive is in use.