Profile for Oxchris > Reviews

Content by Oxchris

Oxchris (Oxford, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Family Tree Maker for MAC v2 (Mac)
Family Tree Maker for MAC v2 (Mac)
Offered by RAREWAVES

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes managing family trees so easy!, 22 Jun 2012
This software makes managing my family trees on the Ancestry website so much easier and keeps them in sync. I am very impressed with its features and it is very easy to use. Best of all is the free 6 month subscription to Ancestry. I've not had any issues with it so far but do install the software update.

Fake Tan
Fake Tan

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a soap - leaves you wanting more., 31 Jan 2011
This review is from: Fake Tan (Kindle Edition)
I read about this on Twitter and as it was a reasonable price I thought it would pass the time on my commute to work. Well, I got to read it on the way home from work and it certainly put a smile on my face after a long day. I was chuckling on the train to myself.

Very funny writing but with a serious edge to it that, like a soap opera, could run and run. This sort of short story is perfect for the Kindle or Kindle iPhone app and I'd definitely buy a follow up.

Adobe Dreamweaver CS5, Student and Teacher Version (Mac)
Adobe Dreamweaver CS5, Student and Teacher Version (Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars The gold standard in web editing., 27 Jan 2011
I have used Dreamweaver since it was owned by Macromedia and despite having tried other products, I always return to Dreamweaver. It makes managing, testing, and editing web sites extremely easy and newcomers to web development can get to grips with it quickly. With the educational discount, it is definitely worth the money.

I found CS5 a worthwhile upgrade and improvement on CS3 - it displays websites better and the live code feature is extremely useful.

Do note, however, that you can only buy one discounted Adobe product a year, so you may want to consider one of the Creative Suite packages.

Pyrex 3-Piece Round Casserole Set, 0.75 L, 1.25 L, 2.0 L Casseroles
Pyrex 3-Piece Round Casserole Set, 0.75 L, 1.25 L, 2.0 L Casseroles
Offered by Dealsdirect247

4.0 out of 5 stars Expect slight damage, 23 April 2010
The items themselves are such a bargain and very well packaged by Amazon, however the manufacture has not packed the items particularly well for distribution by post (mine was delivered by CityLink) and as a result one of the lids had a chipped lip.

As the items were so inexpensive, it was not worth sending them back so you need to order at your own peril based on the reviews on this page.

Rome: The Complete HBO Season 1 (6 Disc Box Set) [DVD] [2006]
Rome: The Complete HBO Season 1 (6 Disc Box Set) [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Kevin McKidd

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing!, 27 May 2009
I must say I wasn't taken by the programme when it was originally on TV, but after a recent classics course I was tempted to look again, and I am glad I did!

I have never seen such a lavish, funny, and dramatic programme in a long time. It is one of my firm favourites now. It is no documentary but the history is generally correct and there are some tasty Latin idioms to be learned.

Quantum of Solace (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2008]
Quantum of Solace (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to classic Bond, 23 Mar 2009
I am pleased to see this is a return to classic Bond! Car chases, aeroplane chases, shoot-outs at the opera, dead women covered in oil!

Much more fun in the old-fashioned sense of Bond than "Casino Royale", which I found quite dull. A lack of gadgets, though, but there were some interesting computer screens. I think any fan of Bond from the 80s and 90s should enjoy this.

Spore (Mac/PC DVD)
Spore (Mac/PC DVD)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hours of fun, 8 Mar 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Spore (Mac/PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Well I have played a few games in my time and always enjoy The Sims type games so I really enjoyed this. I thought it was a clever idea to be able to see your creature evolve and see the decisions you make affect the final behaviour of your creature.

I didn't expect a lifetime's enjoyment from the game but just to pass a few hours here-and-there, and I think it fits that purpose. I am not bothered about completing it but can have fun creating an almost infinite amount of different creatures and seeing how they behave and using them to fight or make friends with other creatures.

The graphics are very good but I had to give up when my Mac started to grind to a halt after a few hours playing.

It may not be everybody's cup of tea, especially hardcore gamers, but for the casual gamer and those who appreciate the concept or just like customising their own creatures and seing other peoples', I think it is worth the money - a nice distraction and quite addictive.

One warning though, it will ask you to download a patch when you first start the game, but this does not seem to work on the Mac and caused me to reinstall twice - something to avoid if possible due to the apparent restrictions on installing multiple times (I believe the publisher has relaxed this measure slightly and details should be on their website). I don't know what adverse impact not installing this patch will have though.

Beowulf and Grendel [2005] [DVD]
Beowulf and Grendel [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stellan Skarsgard
Offered by DVDBayFBA

2.0 out of 5 stars An atmospheric version, 7 Mar 2009
I watched this after watching the recent remake Beowulf (Director's Cut), and was quite disappointed as I expected something more faithful to the original story but the writers had taken some strange liberties as well as missing out a lot of the narrative and replacing it with a love story, but I suppose it's a new twist on an old tale.

However, the setting and visuals were stunning and it wasn't a bad film in all, although it did contain a lot more swearing than I expected - I suppose it was their attempt at Anglo Saxon!

Beowulf (Director's Cut) (2 DVD) [DVD]
Beowulf (Director's Cut) (2 DVD) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Winstone
Offered by WorldCinema

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting version and quite decent., 7 Mar 2009
I really enjoyed this film, although it did take me a while to get used to the fact that it was all computer generated - a very clever technique, which gave it a cartoon-like quality.

The film did deviate from the original story in one surprising element, but I think this is an interesting twist that a modern-day author of Beowulf may have incorporated. I much prefer it to the other film version Beowulf and Grendel [2005] [DVD

King Arthur (Director's Cut) [DVD] [2004]
King Arthur (Director's Cut) [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Clive Owen
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Britannia - Last Outpost of Freedom, 5 Mar 2009
I shan't review the film for its historical accuracy, as I do not believe that is the intention of this story about a myth. With all of these "historical" films, I enjoy them the most as they give a background or feeling of living in past times, similar to battle recreations, and they open a door to learning more about the period if you wish - not as an academic documentary.

As I have never been interested in the Arthurian legend, I was pleased to discover that the story of this film is mainly concerned with the decline of the Roman Empire and its withdrawal from Britain, and how that affected the inhabitants. Any references to any Kings Arthur, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I found the acting quite acceptable: I wasn't expecting the RSC. I loved the atmosphere and scenery in the film (even if it was largely computer-generated). The recreation of Hadrian's Wall was very impressive and the battle scene set on a frozen lake was the best scene in the film.

If you like a bloody battle between large armies, then this film has something to offer. Better than Troy (Director's Cut) [DVD] [2004] but not as good as Alexander Revisited - The Final Cut (2 Disc Special Edition) [2004] [DVD] this film is still worth watching on a Sunday afternoon.

Page: 1 | 2