Profile for Phill > Reviews

Revolution In Me
Revolution In Me
Price: 7.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolutions Speak Volumes, 30 Jun 2007
This review is from: Revolution In Me (Audio CD)
Having never been a fan of the Sugababes, I didn't take notice of their early work (or the new stuff), but when I saw Siobhan's debut solo video for 'Overrated' on TV I was very shocked how mature,dark and indie it was. "Revolution In Me" is her debut album a deeply ignored muchly underrated masterpiece I don't think I've ever enjoyed a pop album as much as this so diverse and mature.

The album starts of with 'Nothing But Song' a mixture of sounds with her soft yet edgy voice flowing throughout the song bouncing along to the dub-like drums and the deeper baseline and a nice piano solo during the middle. It seems to me that this song is about having writers block and struggling to write something even though you want to nice way to start the album.

'Man Without Friends' is a bit more up-tempo and less edgy than the first track.It's a wonderful mid-tempo number, she sounds beautiful and to be honest I can see why she left her previous group, for me, she has that Suzanne Vega way about her in terms on songwriting its a bit more deeper and meaningful than an average pop song, it's a good one not my favourite though. "Overrated" was her first commercially released song (Nothing But Song was just a promo). This song is just stunning it seems to about alot of things she has been through herself depression and the departure from the sugababes, actually taken a step back and thinking that being sad is overrated and the best tonic is to pick yourself up and move on, beautiful song."Little Bits" reminded me of a Massive Attack song, I love the "dark" aspect of it. Definitely a favourite of mine her voice really shines on this one the album obviously has a running theme of self-liberation and growth and this song really shows that.

"As You Like It" and "Next Human (XY)" are very unique songs they both have jumpy, almost happy beats the latter having an old fashioned glockenspiel sound where as "As You Like It" is less organic, but still good although the latter is one of the true highlights on the entire CD.

The next song is "Suasex" which is interesting because at the start of the song and some parts throughout the song it has sampled of Siobhan talking on the phone but in reverse which is really cool the song has a strong baseline and a spooky feeling but I have to say it does sound like a sugababe song if they was better (meow!).There is also an excerpt of a conversation in Spanish "Te gustas tu colegio?" which means "Do you like your school?" I thought that was a bit strange but it's a great song one of my favourites."Twist Of Fate" was the second and last single lifted from the album having a bit more of a rock edge to it (think Natalie Imbruglia)It's a good one the single should have got more airplay The song is about being angry at someone and wanting them to admit the mistakes they've made. Now "Faces" may well be my favourite track on the album has a very calypso feel to it, it's a slow, mournful song I just love the way she sings the line "Staring at faces of our times, to reconcile" I just love the song I have always been one for the more melancholy songs anyway it's a deep one about being not being who they say they are.

"Dialect" and the title track "Revolution In Me" are great the former sounding like it has a sample from a bond song is most rockier songs on the album with live instruments and a dirty sound guitar riff and tin-like sounding drums giving it a garage rock feel (you know, being played in a garage as apposed to 2step).The title track is good very trip-hop sounding but I got to say I usually like title tracks but I wasn't as blown away as I thought it might be the weakest song, I say that as it doesn't really stand out as much as the others."Iodine" is a great closer, Obviously this song is about Siobhan's frustrations with the prime minister and his lack of caring about the men that have to go off to war. It's a very radio friendly song despite that, and one of my favorites off of Revolution In Me. It's a nice way to end the album

1.Faces

2.Overrated

3.Suasex

4.Next Human (XY)

5.Iodine

A very overlooked album the b-sides are great too especially "Instances"

If you have purchased "Ghosts" give this a try.

Joanna Newsom And The Ys Street Band Ep
Joanna Newsom And The Ys Street Band Ep
Price: 7.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Joanna You Done It Again, 23 Jun 2007
I have to admit when I first heard of Joanna Newsom I really wasn't impressed my first impression was that she possessed a voice which was false and put on but on a whim I purchased Ys and this EP at the same time, now shes not by all means everyones taste nor a first-listen artist but this woman is so fantastic.

"Joanna Newsom and the Ys Street Band" is an EP in the shape of a sorry letter of which during her US tour she has to cancel a couple dates due to a 'lost voice' this is her apology which I thought was pretty sweet.

The EP consists of one previously unreleased song and two alternate arrangements of older songs.

"Colleen" is a very cool song although that sounds like an unintelligent approach to her music as it can be pretty cryptic to decipher I mean cool as in breezy and light almost medieval sounding.

Joanna references that Colleen, despite her inability to keep plants alive, is starting to go down the path towards motherhood, that her subconscious dreams of "a funny sea,

as soft as a newly born baby", which she cannot grasp entirely, this song clearly has extended nautical themes. it seems to me that the song deals with a woman who has forgotten her connection to the ocean, her harp playing as always is exceptional and the cute little squeak is brilliant which leaves the song an original and unforgettable piece.

The song of hers that I've never got into is "Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie" until this version I know there isn't much different from the original on "The Milk-Eyed Mender" I just prefer it such a beautiful song I think the song is about admiring someone from a distance and wanting them to notice you I just think it's indicative of how wrapped up in a person you can get almost an obsession beautiful song also the other running them of water and the ocean is apparent again mostly in the title as all are shell fish and mollusc's.

"Cosmia" is one of my favourite songs on "Ys" instead of the 7 minute version on that album we get a 13 minute epic here I still don't know what version I prefer this version seems more jangly than the 'Ys' version yet that version seems more intimate.

Like many songs Joanna writes, she tells personal accounts of love, happiness and in this case, loneliness, through seemingly fictionalized narratives.to me It's about someone who is trying to forget about someone that they have lost and had no control over losing. I was informed by a friend that this song is about the death of a friend of Joanna's and on the "Ys" album cover she has a Cosmia Moth pinned as a tribute to the friend which I thought was sweet very personal for Joanna and I guess to the listener. Again she releases something brave, difficult, experimental, awkward and to some extent self-indulgent.

She is definitely a marmite singer you either love her or you don't

It's a nice EP maybe as a starter then venture to the other releases.

All songs are favourites.

New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo DS)
New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo DS)
Offered by CD DIXIE
Price: 20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Letsa Go!, 5 Jun 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The Mario franchise is one of the most beloved and respected within the gaming world with it's bright,camp,colourful and totally addictive game play with more prequels,sequels and spin-offs you can shake a stick at. Super Mario Bros. DS is a great game when I first got my DS this came with it. I was slightly disappointed I gotta say I actually thought this was just a remake but I got more and more into the game and totally fell in love with it I loved the genius of using the generic 2D formula with the 3d twist which is utterly gorgeous. As always moving further into the game is gains increasingly difficult once i got to world 8 and defeated Bowser for the umpteenth time over the last 15 years I realized I missed two of the stages worlds 4 & 7 I grew increasing frustrated with not knowing how to unlock them cut a long story short and managed to get them up and was satisfied.

After the I had completely finished the game with all gold star coins acquired I checked out the mini games not really expecting much and found myself playing them for hours on end totally unlike me the one that got me addicted was the poker game which a card game I love one night i found myself glancing at the clock one night and seeing 4:21am I kinda knew it was time to stop.

Kids won't just love this I'm 21 and I got my mum into this, my brother and a few of my cousins who all have DS' and occasionally play against each other in the Vs. mode.

I recommend this to anyone who loves Mario, new people to the wonderful DS and anyone else who want's to give it a go.

Graphics: 10/10

Story: 5/10

Gameplay: 10/10

Extras: 10/10
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2009 11:33 AM GMT

Volta: Extra Tracks
Volta: Extra Tracks
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Electronic Icelandic Nature Woman, 8 May 2007
This review is from: Volta: Extra Tracks (Audio CD)
After her last two albums 'Vespertine' and 'Medulla' which where more reflective and introvert, she returns to our ears with a more humanitarian and extroverted album 'Volta'. People have said this is her most accessible work since 'Post' featuring co-productions from Mark Bell and super producers Timbaland and Danja, as well as guest appearances from Antony Hegarty of Antony and the Johnsons.

1.Earth Intruders - The explosive first single i absolutely LOVE this song. It's crazy, mixing african drum beats courtesy of Konono N1 a musical group from The Congo mixing with Timbaland's infectious way of mixing different styles of music, in this case electronica together concocting a future club classic. This is Bjork at one of her most political, she singing about how humanity is destroying nature, also i think there is some acknowledgment to the wars going on around the world, I cannot praise this song enough trust Bjork to be this bold. 10/10

2.Wanderlust - As Bjork has lived in an array of places including London,Spain,New York and of course her home country of Iceland. Bjork's love for nature is clearly expressed here and throughout the album.The production of the song takes it back to the 'Post' days with its electronic/dance feel. She sings about although growing in up in Iceland she doesn't really know where she belongs anymore, feeling restless and a craving for learning everything the world has to offer. Here and on alot of the tracks she uses brass instruments, which is a ten-piece female brass section consisting of Icelandic musicians giving it a strong feminism vibe. 10/10

3.Dull Flame Of Desire (Duet With Antony Hegarty) - One of the best songs on the album. This 7 minute beauty is a true highlight of the whole album. Although Bjork wrote this song the lyrics are taken from a translation of a poem by a poet called Fyodor Tyutchev. Antony Hegarty has to have one of the most beautiful voices i've ever heard they really work well together and considering the difference in their voice they couldn't be more of a perfect match. 7 minutes almost doesn't seem enough I cannot wait to hear them both sing this live. 10/10

4.Innocence - I love the way Timbaland produced this without selling out Bjork's sound. An utter club stomper using the same formula as Earth Intruders, the electronic scratches and stabs and it's brash appearance just shows how good Bjork is feeling this time around, from what I can gather she singing about fear of losing her well, almost her nativity about the world as shes exposed to how harsh and almost callous it can be and shes dumbfounded. 10/10

5.I See Who You Are - I was excited to hear this song, the Pipa is a beautiful instrument giving in a blatant oriental feel, more subdued and slow that most of the other tracks but still manages to stick out like a sore thumb. The fantastic Pipa playing is by an artist called Min-Xiao Fen who will be accompanying Bjork on tour looking forward to it. 10/10

6.Vertebrae By Vertebrae - The intro of the song reminds me of the 'Selmasongs' soundtrack with it's industrial feel to it with the muffled brass playing. I knew i was going to like this song straight off as soon as i saw the title. It's almost like Bjork's animalistic instincts are kicking in like a wolf howling at the moon, I love her imagery she conjures up, she singing about the evolution of animals to humans "my arms ooze out of my shoulders" fantastic song very original, as always 10/10

7.Pneumonia - Such a sad song, By the lyrics it seems like its about a miscarriage "all the stillborn love that could have happened" I actually couldn't really get into this one, in fact it was the only song i didn't really like and i mean, 10 out of 11 tracks is pretty damn good by my standards, maybe i just need to listen to it a bit more 'coz i love how sullen and tragic it is with the beautiful brass' complimenting Bjork's fragile voice. 7/10

8.Hope - Now as people thought this song wasn't produced by Timbaland he just co-wrote it and had a part in the techinical side of things,Not to say it's not a good song because it is the beat is subtle and on this song the Kora is played which is also a pretty instrument,This is a political song especially with the controversial line "if a suicide bomber made to look pregnant", This is Bjork really pouring her heart out and seriously looking at the world around her and realizing the damage thats been done but having hope in the fact that it's not too late to change. 10/10

9.Declare Independence - This song is alot like the song 'Pluto' from the 'Homogenic' album in terms of the harsh, hardcore electronic beat with the crashing of the cymbals and the hard drum loop. It's a dedication to the Faroe Islands and Greenland. She really lets herself go shouting "Don't let them do that to you" it also works on a more personal level saying don't let people tell you,you can't be who you want to be declare independence within yourself, great message and a sweet ode to the people of the Faroe Islands 10/10

10.My Juvenile (Featuring Antony Hegarty as "the conscience") - In an interview i watched she said that everyone had a little jiminy cricket character sitting on our shoulder giving advice in the form of our conscience. Antony and Bjork again produce another beautiful song, rumour that it's a tribute to her children Sindri and Isadora very sweet i love it, singing about the sacrifices mothers make to make sure their children are safe,and questioning themselves if they have done a good job or not. 10/10

1.Dull Flame Of Desire

2.Earth Intruders

3.Innocence

4.Declare Independence

5.Hope

Shes a musical pioneer support a woman who isn't afraid to think outside the box, best of 2007 so far.

Lady Croissant
Lady Croissant
Offered by Side Two
Price: 20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet Another Stunning Album, 8 May 2007
This review is from: Lady Croissant (Audio CD)
Sia is widely known for her ethereal voice from chill-out group Zero 7. 'Lady Croissant' is Sia's first live CD recorded live at Bowery Ballroom in New York.

'Pictures' is the studio track which is much more upbeat than her usual stuff a really sweet song what a great song- about trying to let go of someone that has hurt you though you still love them. but maybe, no matter how hard you try the thought of her stays with you because you believe they're the one.

The live album really starts with the fantastic song 'Don't Bring Me Down' one of my favourite all time songs the song isn't as intimate and fragile as the album version the song is about coming down from being on Exstacy and feeling depressed and low. I love it, theres not much change with her voice as a inclination that she is just a natural singer.

'Destiny' is a song that was made famous by Zero 7 she sings the song with Sophie Barker on the album but on this it's just her on her own great version.

'Blow It All Away' was from her debut and one of the best songs from it!

It was a pretty loud song anyway but the live version seems to make it more personal she, as always sounds utterly fantastic the solo piano at the end kills me every time, so pretty.

'Lentil' is my favourite song it's a new song I listen to it so much it's a bit like 'Numb'

but better (even though i love 'Numb' too!). The chorus is so good i love the way the chorus' it's almost like shes mumbling the breaks into a powerful statement of "so I never meant to let you down"

I don't know if theres a studio version if there is i want to hear it!

'Numb' and 'I Go To Sleep' are two of the songs i'm not overly keen on the former is great but i prefer the studio version for some reason and the latter is a Pretenders cover which I have to say i've never been a fan of the group, it's not bad and i do listen to it but could have sung 'Rewrite' or 'Sweet Potato' in it's place.

'Breathe Me' starts off a bit like Cat Power's song 'Maybe Not' i almost didn't recognize it now I like many other people LOVE this song but I didn't feel as touched by this version at the album even though it is one of the most beautifully honest songs ever recorded I think people take to this song because every one on the planet feels like this we all are vulnerable,insecure and scared people if anyone says otherwise is probably lying, Love this song, she truly captured raw emotion.

The last track is a great one and a favourite of mine 'Distractions' was my first taster of Sia a few years ago i was watching VH1 and the video came on and fell in love instantly, the live version is great towards the end of the song you hear the real power in her voice i was utterly blown away after the song finished i smiled like a Cheshire cat!

1.Lentil

2.Distractions

3.Breathe Me

4.Don't Bring Me Down

5.Pictures

Now if your like me and love anything this woman ever does then i suggest you venture into buying her live set although it only has 9 tracks it's definitely enough, she is truly a remarkable artists support her!.

Clouds
Clouds
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Clouds Got In Her Way, 2 May 2007
This review is from: Clouds (Audio CD)
I own practically all of Joni Mitchell's catalogue now and for some reason this album always stood out, "Clouds" was the follow-up to her debut "Song To A Seagull" a concept album about her travels around the coast, "Clouds" on the other hand, for me anyway it much more personal and in some ways quite sad. The opener 'Tin Angel' is one of my favourite's not just on the album either it's one of my favourite songs shes ever recorded, very slow and sombre, alot of these songs represent the stuff Joni was going through while she was living in New York, at the end of the song theres hope as she sings "in a Bleeker Street cafe/I found someone to love today". Following the theme of her stay in New York 'Chelsea Morning' depicts the sights and sounds she experienced while in the Chelsea District of New York City, everything is fresh for her... Her love, her day. And of course, the world is hers and anything is possible, optimistic and full of hope a great song.

'I Don't Know Where I Stand' beautifully sad song about not knowing wither the person in question feels the same way about you sometimes it feels like the only thing there is to say is "i love you" but you forget the implications it has and what it means. I think alot of people can relate to it. 'That Song About The Midway' is a song about Joni's rendezvous with a man while at a fair and it seems to me that they had fun then she tried to contact him after and didn't want to know, 'Roses Blue' has some magnificent lyrics - the obvious pattern being that the final line of each verse provides the first words of the next, leading in a circle back to the first verse. And of course that's reflected in the first/last verse itself, which similarly moves in a "free association" way. Very clever, but not for its own sake - it feels natural and doesn't impede the story of the song one of my favourites i love the guitar loop and Joni's vocals are pretty.

'The Gallery' is a very good song about a experience she had with another artist while it seems, Joni worked in a gallery it's a sweet song i got the impression the man in question was a bit depressed, as alot of people with creative minds are. I love the way this song had backing vocals by Joni which give the song a sense of depth the subtle guitar and backing track are understated and calming.

"I Think I Understand" one of my favourites a totally relatable a sense of fear either helping you better, or swallow you into it's depths. To understand that there is a choice, her voice on this one is so beautiful. "Songs To The Aging Children Come" i've always found kind of strange the vocals are really nice especially with the background vocals again on this one giving it a sense of depth with the acoustic guitar playing gently i got the impression it was about how being creative means finding inspiration, and how finding inspiration means being open to it therefore innocence/nativity = aging child Joni being just that it's a great song though takes a while to appreciate it.

The a capella song "The Fiddle & The Drum" is a political song which is such a harrowing eerie song and it's so amazing how applicable it is even now, especially with all the tragedy going on in the world today, I'm glad she just sung this without any instruments its powerful like this raw and honest.

"Both Sides,Now" was one of the first Joni Mitchell songs i ever listened to. I think this song means that people have different perceptions of what love and life are all about when they're children as opposed to when they're adults, it's very much a coming of age song both sides meaning one side as an adult a bit more wise to the world and have a more cynical approach to things where as the other side a more naive slightly immature outlook I can see why so many people love this song so much it's definitely one of my all time favourite songs.

1.Both Sides, Now

2.I Don't Know Where I Stand

3.Tin Angel

4.I Think I Understand

5.Chelsea Morning

Buy Clouds for a reflective outlook on life.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2013 2:11 AM BST

Hejira
Hejira
Price: 6.40

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sweet Lonliness Of Cross-Country Travel, 2 May 2007
This review is from: Hejira (Audio CD)
'Hejira' Joni Mitchell's ninth album was a far cry from her usual folk roots leaning more towards Jazz a genre she dabbled in on 'Court and Spark' and 'The Hissing Of Summer Lawns'. The majority of the album was written while Joni took a trip by car from Maine back to Los Angeles. A sense of loneliness with the sense of restlessness and wonder throughout the album. The opening track "Coyote" is a stripped down sound mainly using electric and acoustic guitars, guitarist Jaco Pastorius also lends his fantastic talent aiding to a spacious,jangly up-tempo song. The second track "Amelia" is an ode to the female pilot Amelia Earhart who disappeared over the pacific ocean in 1937, a comparison between Joni and Amelia where she identified with her being a woman on a journey,perhaps in her loneliness and her own wanderlust I personally think this is one of Joni's finest songs lyrically.

"Furry Sings The Blues" is a song inspired by meeting blues singer Furry Lewis, after the song was made he actually said that Joni exploited the circumstances of them meeting. A song definitely a departure from the folk music a very bluesy sad-sounding song very good narrative too. "A Strange Boy" and "Hejira" are songs that i never really paid much attention to the latter the title track meaning migration,the movement of people it is also has a religious meaning, Muhammad fleeing Mecca to Medina is the Hejira.

This song pretty much sums up the lyrical content of the wonderful Hejira album. Travel as a metaphor for relationships is explored throughout this album,but never so concisely or beautifully as it is in this song. Where as "A Strange Boy" it's a very poetic song about a meeting with someone who she couldn't really figure out.

"Song For Sharon" is one of my favourites allegedly a song Joni wrote while using drugs I love the mellow,sultry vibe to it giving it a sense of

loneliness almost like a letter writing to a friend about everything shes witnessed and experienced throughout her journey.

The song "Black Crow" has the same up-tempo feel as 'Coyote' The drone of the beat and the sharp imagery of the black crow and the blue sky makes you conjure up so much within the lyrics a great song for relaxing.

"Blue Motel Room" and the closing song "Refuge On The Roads" wind the album down nicely with the last song to me, this is the ultimate road trip song. It's essentially about a person who society disturbs and who disturbs society as well. As a result, she has this semi-desperate need to travel, and she finds, well, refuge in the roads.

1.Amelia

2.Song For Sharon

3.Refuge On The Roads

4.Coyote

5.Blue Motel Room

Just buy it if you haven't already like me you will fall in love with it

Ghost World [DVD] [2001]
Ghost World [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Thora Birch
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd
Price: 8.45

5.0 out of 5 stars The Awkwardness Of Adolescence, 2 May 2007
This review is from: Ghost World [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I have seen this movie a few times now and i enjoy it every single time. Enid (Thora Birch) and Rebbecca (Scarlett Johansson) are two outsiders who have just graduated from high school not really knowing what they want to do with their lives (except having jobs and renting an apartment together). Enid and Rebbecca one day prank call a lonely hearts ad, they stand him up as a joke but Enid realizing from that moment she and him aren't that different she feels sorry for him and later befriends him.

Enid enrolls in an art summer school while Rebbecca works to get the apartment shes been wanting most of her life, while their friendship seems to deteriorate over the plot of the movie, Enid and Seymour (Steve Buscemi)begin to get close the most unlikely pairing from the outside but rather similar as feeling an isolation and rejection from society after being alot different from the 'norm'.

Alot of people slated this film for not really having a storyline, I guess have never felt a bit of an outcast to realize the issues of the movie. I have to admit the end was a bit disappointing i was expecting more but all in all i love the movie.

If you ever get the chance to read Daniel Clowes' graphic novels (of which the film was adapted from) then i suggest it, he is a talented man.

I recommend this for more of a teenage to young adult audience one of my staple movies growing up.

The Adventures Of Ghosthorse And Stillborn
The Adventures Of Ghosthorse And Stillborn
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars The Rainbowarriors Charge Through, 28 April 2007
CocoRosie is a duo I hadn't really heard of but after a friend lending their album "La Maison De Mon Reve" and loving the song "By Your Side" I impulsively bought their third studio album. "The Adventures Of Ghosthorse & Stillborn" is an eclectic,spooky,cute and damn right weird collection of songs which almost play out like a story which is enjoyable throughout although, it's not without some minor faults.

'Rainbowarriors' is a very cute song almost like it was supposed to be the theme music to a cartoon, the lyrics are just totally nuts and i love it, it almost plays out like a story of the Rainbowarriors, battling against evil (Saint Noni). Bianca & Sierra's voices are very unique and compliment the crazy beat thats sounds like a mixture of random sounds with a little hip-hop and i whole load of originality very cool song. 'Promise' follows the same strange suit starts off with indian sounding instruments with somewhat sonar-like beat the vocals are more spoken word much like the first track almost like shes rapping but its cool i like this one with the breathy singing in the background and the thumping drum make it almost sexy!

'Bloody Twins' is pretty short and reminded me of Bjork's album 'Vespertine' the song "Frosti" came to mind as they also use a musicbox like Bjork did which is beautiful with the harrowing,haunting vocals a la Joanna Newsom-esque

which goes into the ethereal 'Japan' which i agree with the other reviewer it does have a reggae undertone also fairground music came to mind.

'Sunshine' took a while for me to get into the start is odd, the thing i admire about Bianca & Sierra is the way they love to experiment with almost anything they can get their hands on, I'm not much of a fan of this one but i admire the originality of it.

'Black Poppies' is a sad song but I got to admit i did have trouble understanding the words and theyre a bit disturbing i didn't like the lyric "warm kittens close to the earth/underground bodies with no sound" poor kittens.

'Werewolf is one of my favourites I just love the way they sing it's like a cross between Billy Holiday/Bjork and Beth Gibbons, I starts with spoken word commentary which sounds very spooky (which seems to be an on going theme throughout the album,Halloween like)

'Animals' is a six minute giddy fest unlike the lullaby state of the creepy 'houses

'Raphael' is very enjoyable with the marching drum loop and subtle strings overlaying the paranoid-like vocals give it a mysterious feel to it.

The close 'Miracle' is precious sounds like someone playing guitar underwater it's pretty cool reminded me alot of Goldfrapp

the lyrics are somewhat abstract in Cocorosie fashion but i almost get the feeling like narrator is reminiscing on her first love when she was very young, during a more innocent time when little things like a kiss in the back seat meant so much i loved it a great way to end the album.

1.Rainbowarriors

2.Werewolf

3.Japan

4.Miracle

5.Raphael

If you love abstract music a fan of Bjork,Joanna Newsom then i do recommend this if your a little apprehensive preview the album first it's definately not for everyone but for those who are into it it's a pretty good album, not as good as thier debut with the alluring song 'By Your Side'. Great album maybe a bit too ahead of it's time? who knows but I know i enjoyed it.

Price: 7.70

5.0 out of 5 stars A Haunting Little Gem, 12 April 2007
This review is from: 9 (Audio CD)
The follow-up to the surprise hit album 'O'. Damien Rice returns with his second-album '9' packed with more powerful,melancholy ballads and subtle folk-esque jams, in my opinion a very good come back.

1.9 Crimes - It features the beautiful vocals of his long time collaborator Lisa Hannigan. This song is so hauntingly beautiful, to me this song is about someone who falls in love while they are still with someone else. It is hard for them because they no longer love the person they are with but fell guilt for falling for someone new. As before with his other songs he serves us some beautiful balladry with swooning strings and minimalistic piano just compliment Damien and Lisa's voices. It was also the lead single, which had a very cool rather unusual video 9/10

2.The Animals Were Gone - Again another haunting song, and with very strong metaphorical characteristics, he wakes up and realises his partner is gone there for the animals that he is referring to is his happiness, I love how delicate he sounds, yet so powerful, with Lisa again aiding him through it which sounds like a funny thing to say but i always feel listening to his songs are like reading his diary so personal and raw great song, although towards the end it does begin to go one for too long. 10/10

3.Elephant - Originally called 'The Blowers Daughter Part II' this song really hits home to me. To me it seems like he's trying to get over someone he's been in love, and in doing so he's settling for someone else..."and she may cry like a baby, and she may drive me crazy but i am lately lonely". This is a continuation of the Blower's Daughter which ends "I can't take my mind off of you, till I find somebody new" this song is about finding someone new, trying to make it work, but failing at it because settling never works. Very good and this song shows the actual power in his voice which is absolutely amazing if i do say so myself, great stuff 8/10

4.Rootless Tree - I love this song so much, I've listened to this song alot while i was going through a situation and this was exactly my attitude after everything was said and done, its a lamentation of how much you've been through with someone and they still try to come back to so in the end you have to be cruel to be kind...and sing the chorus. I felt he just wanted to be left alone the person in question had zapped all his love and energy that he feels like a 'rootless tree' can't give anymore otherwise he'll die (not literally more emotionally), great message. 10/10

5.Dogs - A little more upbeat than the song before, I think the way he talks of the person in question, the references to dressing in white, moving like a little girl and especially "She picks the dead ones from the ground" is about a purity that is somewhat naive to the world around it, I love this song personally seems to be about jealousy, it made me laugh when i heard the song was originally called "The Girl That Goes Yoga"...cute 10/10

6.Coconut Skins - One of few songs I haven't really enjoyed as much, I always assumed the term 'coconut skins' just symbolized nothingness, they were just hanging out simply doing nothing. But then I don't think its supposed to come off as a pessimistic song like the others. 7/10

7.Me, My Yolk & I - Now I've got to admit when i heard this i thought this was stupid, but listening to it the song is very sexual!, Someone i know said that it was like Kelis' track 'Milkshake' but (in his words) 'for the lads', In some ways hes right not a massive fan of this one i gotta say 6/10

8.Grey Room - One of my favorites off the new record, it offers a great deal of contrast to some of the other tunes. I think his 'Grey Room is clinical depression and just trying to surface from that and carry on with his life, I'm sure people who have suffered from depression (me included) you will relate to this song and even smile like i did when i heard it very good song loved it. 10/10

9.Accidental Babies - My favourite song here if iPod could cry it would! This song is so beautiful and full of emotion. Damien's voice in this song is utterly flawless in my opinion. Reading the lyrics it seems to be about either an affair or knowing an your ex partner has moved on quicker than expect and just asking the age old "are they better than me" question. I love the way it's just piano and vocal, no fluff, no background vocals, just pure raw emotion. I've got to say when i first had this playing i laid on my bedroom floor and cried it wasn't just the lyrics i got emotional over it was the atmosphere. Beautiful 10/10

10.Sleep Don't Weep - Another favourite, this song is about forgiveness and appropriately the end track, usually i have track 9 and this one on repeat when I'm not in a great mood and i just need to vent out my frustration. I've always thought it sounds alot like 'Cold Water' from 'O'

Damien and Lisa sound absolutely stunning I cannot praise their performance enough on this one. The thing i thought was weird was that the actual track time is 21:54 the song being around 5 minutes the rest of the time is blank space and followed by weird noises, he could of at least put hidden tracks on it like on 'O' 10/10

1.Accidental Babies

2.Rootless Tree

3.Dogs

4.9 Crimes

5.The Animals Were Gone

I recommend this to anyone who loved the first album or just someone who loves a good cry hehe.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9