Profile for Ken Hickey > Reviews

Content by Ken Hickey

Ken Hickey "Kenny_K75" (Cork, Ireland)

Wild Cards I (Wild Cards Novel)
Wild Cards I (Wild Cards Novel)
by George R. R. Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Beginings, 28 Jun. 2012
I came to this book and this series, after attending a panel by George R.R. Martin, and other contributors to Wildcards, at Eastercon. I am a big Song of Fire and Ice fan, and this other aspect of George R.R. Martin's writing appealed to me.
I was intrigued with the idea of a shared world sci-fi anthology and the super hero elements. What I discovered having read the book was something a whole lot more sophisticated than what I imagined.
The stories exist in a world that is not just a sci-fi setting but also brings in alternative history and political elements. I was very much reminded of Alan Moore's Watchmen.
Each individual story tends to deal with a different Ace, Joker or situation and are of varying quality (though non of them are a bad read). This and the fact that each story can seem a bit disjointed from the next is the reason I gave it four stars. I think, however, that is the very nature of the project and am looking forward to seeing how this develops over the rest of the series. Books two and three are on my shelf and next on the list. Can't wait to read them.
Aces High (Wild Cards)
Wild Cards: Jokers Wild v. 3

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? (Gollancz)
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? (Gollancz)
by Les Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Totally different from the film..., 11 May 2012
Like a lot of people I came to this book having already seen the film and as has
been noted by other reviewers the differences between the two are huge. I really
enjoyed the book having also recently read 'Ubik'. Dick asks some very interesting
questions relating to what exactly it means to be human, what is authentic
and what is fake.There are a lot of unanswered questions and several gaps for the reader
to fill in. What does Mercer represent? And of course the central issue of whether Deckard
is an android or not.
A nice piece of classic scifi and love the cover art of the Gollancz edition.

Stonemouth
Stonemouth
by Iain Banks

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Waiting..., 9 May 2012
This review is from: Stonemouth (Hardcover)
There's a lot to enjoy in this book. They story is well written, with an engaging plot and memorable characters. When I finished the last page I knew I had enjoyed another good read from Iain Banks... And here comes the 'but'...
I have been a big fan of Banks since I read 'The Wasp Factory' and have read every Iain Banks novel since (not all the Iain M. Banks) and enjoyed every one. This novel is similiar in tone and setting to 'The Crow Road' and 'The Steep Aproach to Garbadale' and for me therein lies the problem. I fell in love with the weird and wonderful world of Banks, 'The Bridge', 'Walking On Glass', 'Song of Stone' and 'Complicity'. I find myself still waiting for a novel of imaginative power to compare with these. I thought Banks was close with his last outing 'Transition' and had high hopes for 'Stonemouth'. Don't get me wrong it is still a very good book, and I will be waiting with anticipation for his next work, but this story was just too mainstream for me. I know he has another strange masterpiece in him.

Never Let Me Go
Never Let Me Go
by Kazuo Ishiguro

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 10 April 2012
This review is from: Never Let Me Go (Paperback)
I found this book amazing.... It is a little uneven in parts but much of the prose is breath taking. I had to stop on at least three seperate occasions because of the emotional effect it had on me. The questions Ishiguro poses are also very important ones. This is the first of his books I have read. Will definitely read more.

Breaking The Waves [DVD] [1996]
Breaking The Waves [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Emily Watson
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____

5.0 out of 5 stars So many people missing the point, 12 Jan. 2012
I think this film is amazing. Anyone who reads Von Trier's work as misogynistic is simply misreading the film (in my humble opinion). If a film depicts violence against women that doesn't make it misogynistic. The same criticism was leveled as David Lynch for 'Blue Velvet'. There is violence against women in the world. There is no need for Von Trier's to ignore it. If there is something as simple as a 'message' in this film (I don't believe there is one simple interpretation) then I think it involves redemption and sacrifice not misogyny. Bess McNeil is the hero of the film not the victim. An amazing and deeply affecting film.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)
by George R. R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing...., 7 Aug. 2011
Absolutley loved this book... So different from a lot of fantasy in that it doesnt have a huge amount of magic in it. Loved the way he builds up whole dynasties with complete histories of the various families involved... The writing and characterisation is very strong as well... Some have given negative reviews for storylines being unresolves but that just encourages me to read more. Saw the HBO seris first then read this. Already reading A Clash Of Kings and can't wait to get on with the rest. Can't recommend this enough.

Mr Beast
Mr Beast

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 3 July 2008
This review is from: Mr Beast (Audio CD)
The first two tracks alone are worth buying the album for. Outside of Pink Floyd and other Mogwai tracks these two tunes are untouchable. Keep it up guys.