Profile for John Williams > Reviews

Content by John Williams

John Williams (Lancashire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Neewer® 58mm Screw-in Mount Standard Metal Lens Hood for Canon Nikon Pentax Sony Sigma Tamron and other camera lens with 58mm filter size
Offered by GLOBALOMOUK (Ships from HK 11-18 Business Days Delivery)

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality, 9 Jun 2014
I've put this on a Fujinon XF lens, which are made of metal, and it looks like a part of the lens. Very well made item, that does it's job well. I would recommend this item.

Fujifilm X-T1 16 MP Compact System Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only)
Fujifilm X-T1 16 MP Compact System Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only)

5.0 out of 5 stars who wouldn't love it?, 11 May 2014
You have all read the reviews, this camera is beautitul by any standards, and it makes lovely photos. It reminds me of the Contax RTS, in terms of design.

GGS Optical Glass LCD Screen Protector for 3 inch Screens Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Panasonic Camera Screens
Offered by Bingo Gadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars The only LCD protector worth bothering with, 6 May 2014
I have bought about 6 of these over the years. They are rigid glass and sit on top of your LCD. The edges of the screen protector features a narrow metallic border. This conceals a narrow strip of double sided 3M tape. This is absolutely secure. I have never had one come off. As the sheet of glass is rigid, it is easy to accurately lower it into place from above with the camera on in it's front. There is literally no chance of airbubbles, as the glass is not flexible, "sticky back plastic" . It is possible to trap dust or particles under the glass, so use a brush and blower during application. The only reason I've ever had to replace one of these is because dust etc had somehow got behind the screen. Otherwise it is absolutely crystal clear. I cannot recommend this highly enough :-)

LG Nexus 5 Smartphone - 16GB Black
LG Nexus 5 Smartphone - 16GB Black
Offered by Citi Harvest

5.0 out of 5 stars perfection, 18 April 2014
I have nothing negative to say about this phone. So far I have had an HTC Desire, and then a Galaxy S3. This makes them look tacky and cheap. I love the minimalist design of my black version (different on the white version, not soft touch). Similarly, I think the build quality is good. It certainly puts the SG3 to shame and feels as sturdy as my old Desire. The first thing I did when I got it, was root the device and install CyanogenMod 11 Nightly build, so I only ran vanilla Android for a little while, but it's just gorgeous, and extremely fast. CyanogenMod is updated daily on the Nightly build, so it is always a bit ahead of the game, it can be more up to date than android AOSP itself. CyanogenMod is basically tweaked Android, and sticks pretty close to stock AOSP, (which really is vanilla Android, the Android that comes with the phone is not really naked Android). People complain about the battery life, but I find it much, much, better than my Samsung S3, even though I rooted it and it was running CM 11 KitKat. So no software differences. The Nexus 5 is just much faster and more efficient, and the display is better. If I leave it on my bed side table at night, and it's on 93% charge, it might be 91%, or even 89% when I switch on next morning. My two previous phones had to be charged each night, and lost lots power when asleep. I can easily get a couple of days of moderate use, or a whole week if I don't use it much. I think this is because Android KitKat is more efficient than Jellybean, but also I've now started using an app called Battery Doctor every night ( I think you have to rooted to use it). That switches every thing off, and deals with the wake locks etc. I'd recommend it. I would also highly recommend this phone. It's lovely in every way. I've just been lusting after a Find 7 on Youtube, They look great, and I'd love one, but it's really nowhere near as cool as the Nexus 5. In a sea of Galaxy's and iPhones, it really stands out, with an understated elegance. It's like nothing else out there.

Hanes Mens TAGLESS BEEFY Super Heavy Weight T-shirt (L) (Orange)
Hanes Mens TAGLESS BEEFY Super Heavy Weight T-shirt (L) (Orange)
Offered by Tomscabin

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a great T shirt., 18 April 2014
My Hanes Tagless Beefy T shirt arrived today. So this is my first impressions. I'll try to remember to come back after a couple of washes, and give my second impressions ;-) The shirt I ordered was a large in orange. I'm just under 6ft tall and I weigh just 12 stone, so I am slight. This shirt is pleasantly baggy on me, and a wee bit on the long side. It looks good on me. Firstly. Astonishingly good colour quality, which I think is set off by the perfect collar piece, seaming, and great cloth. The finish is really first rate. This is heavy weight cotton (215 gsm). I was a wee bit disappointed in the heaviness at first. I though it would be very noticeable. I've been used to FOL Premium and Gildan superweight. They're both good quality shirts at about 150 gsm, and I expected this to be a lot heavier. It is certainly a bit heavier though. I'm sat here wearing a Gildan and fondling the Hanes, and you really can tell. When I put it on I can notice that it hangs better, and wrinkles better. It's better than the other two brands. Noticeably better, for not much more money. These will become my T shirt of choice, and I expect I'll order some more at the end of the month. I'm expecting a Deckard Heavy T shirt tomorrow. That is 350 gsm, so I'm expecting that to be almost sweatshirt heavy. Amazon don't seem to have them, so I'm buying direct. £9.50 plus postage. I'll tell you about them, when I report back on Hanes after a couple of washes :-) John Williams

Lenspen NLP1 New Lenspen Original
Lenspen NLP1 New Lenspen Original
Offered by Camera Shop UK

5.0 out of 5 stars The original and best, 13 April 2014
I have had several versions of this device, made by different manufacturer's. They are all much the same, and all easy to lose :-)
This is the original lenspen. As such it has the carbon cleaning agent in the cap. Every time you put the cap back on, it renews the carbon compound, ready for next time. So the routine is, extend the brush, and use it to remove any dust particles, or grit, from your lens. Retract the brush, and remove the cap, then use the specially shaped cleaning tip to actually polish the lens. All this works very well indeed, it makes short work of a greasy thumbprint, or watermarks left by raindrops etc. The build quality is adequate, similar to the competition. That's ok, you will lose it before it breaks. The only point of likely damage is the cleaning tip, and that is covered up most of the time. This item is highly recommended. It's a nicer shape that the competition, and you can be sure that it contains the special carbon compound (some copies don't apparently). A must have accessory.

Polaroid Super Blower With Hi Perfomance Silicon Squeeze Bulb
Polaroid Super Blower With Hi Perfomance Silicon Squeeze Bulb
Offered by Smart Shop UK

5.0 out of 5 stars I think this is the best, 31 Mar 2014
Hi. I chose this product, over Giottos and Hama, simply because it was slightly cheaper. I just received it and it does seem better than the competition. I've had lots of these over the years, they're easy to lose, and I think this has a more powerful blast of air than the others. It seems well made as well. I'd recommend it.

Graphite Grey iSenso Stylus Includes Free Tablet Clip. Features An Ultra Responsive Fiber Cloth Tip With A Balanced Weight & Feel
Offered by UK Innovations GP Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent stylus, 19 Mar 2014
Hi. I received my grey version of this stylus yesterday, along with a Wacom Bamboo stylus. These two products are the total of my experience with stylii. Straight out of the packaging they both appear to be good products. The Wacom is quite heavy, and feels more premium. The iSenso is featherlight. It's essentially a hollow aluminum tube. They both look really well made, and well designed. The Wacom looks and feels slightly more premium, primarily because of it's weight.
When it comes to using the stylus, for handwriting recognition software, and for general browsing, the iSenso stands out. I found it generally easier to use than the Wacom. Bear in mind this is my first time for using any stylus, but the Wacom has a lot more drag from the rubber tip. It also seems to require more pressure to register. The iSenso glides over the glass, with it's woven tip. It is much easier to use and to write legibly with. I had success immediately, with cursive handwriting, using the iSenso, and not with the Wacom. So, for me, the iSenso is the better of the two, and I'd recommend it.

Asus Google Nexus 7 7-inch Tablet (2GB RAM, 16GB eMMC)
Asus Google Nexus 7 7-inch Tablet (2GB RAM, 16GB eMMC)
Offered by Pleasure Time Technology

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate, 18 Mar 2014
You will have read all the reviews no doubt, and all the positive ones are true. This is an excellent device. It has a premium, minimalistic, look and feel, and performs very well indeed. It is minimally slower than than the Nexus 5, but barely noticeable in ordinary use. I have rooted my device, and I can now load movies etc onto a USB stick and watch them in bed. I find that, whilst the sound through headphones is excellent, the sound from the onboard speakers is more than adequate for me to enjoy a movie soundtrack, or watch a streamed TV programme in bed. With the use of USB OTG there is no storage problem, but it is also easy to run media files direct from Dropbox, Google Drive etc. So well made, looks and feels really good, works really well, fantastic HD screen. Just push the button.
I would highly recommend this case : http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E4OKXPU/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this stylus, to go with it : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Graphite-iSenso-Includes-Features-Responsive/dp/B00GYVCLU6/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1395179686&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=iSense

Both superb. Hope this helps, John.

DSLRKIT Thumbs Up Grip for Canon EOS M G11 G12 G15 G1X NIKON P7100 P7700 COOLPIX A,Fujifilm X100 X100S X-E1 X20 X-pro1 Pentax Q Q7 Q10 K10, Leica X Vario D-Lux 6 5 X2 ME M9 M9-P M8(Black)
Offered by DSLRKIT

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably good, 18 Mar 2014
This is quite a mediocre item when used with the Fuji X100. It's not quite long enough to cover the exposure compensation dial, which is easily accidentally changed. It does give a more secure and steadier grip on the camera, and makes it a lot easier to shoot one handed. I'm reluctant to tighten the Allen screw to fiercely, in case it pulls the hot shoe apart. The best examples of these thumb grips I have found are also the cheapest. Two for a pound (either here or Ebay, I can't remember), and they are sort of frosted clear plastic. They look nice because of their no compromise cheapness, and they are the perfect fit on an X100 :-)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4