Profile for Hilx > Reviews

Content by Hilx

Hilx "Hilx" (London, England)

Doggy Things Cable Knit Jumper, Small, 40 cm, Grey
Doggy Things Cable Knit Jumper, Small, 40 cm, Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little jumper, 9 Dec 2013
I like it; my dog likes it; my partner is not too embarrassed to walk the dog when she's wearing it; people in the street oooo and ahhhh. Everybody wins.

Garmin Forerunner 405CX GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor (discontinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically frustrating!, 4 Sep 2012
I purchased the Forerunner 405CX more than a year ago when it cost more than £200. I still have not gotten to grips with it and draft this while waiting for an answer from the Garmin help line. The instructions you get with the watch are unbelievably spartan. In fact, you get as much information about changing the strap as you do about the complex functioning of the watch itself. Its operation is not intuitive and nowhere in the bumph that you receive does it tell you that there are instructional videos on You Tube. Or that you can download a manual, which is not that well provisioned with information anyway.

Basically the only way to work out how the thing works is through endless rounds of trial and error. I have never been so frustrated by a piece of technology, of which I own many.

Having spent many multi-hour episodes pfaffing with the thing, the ant agent and online resources, I got the watch to download data to the online suite of tools this past Sunday. I just went to myGarmin to set the thing up for another run and couldn't find the details of the run on Sunday. Having now just spoken to a helpful person at the help line, this is because despite the fact the one might think that 'myGarmin' sounds like the place where one would find the data relating to one's personal performance, it isn't. Instead Garmin Connect is the repository of such information. This is paradigmatic of my whole experience of the watch -- there is nothing intuitive about its operation. Coupled with the lack of well-presented and extended information about its operation and functionality, it's been nothing but a source of frustration and bitterness, especially given its cost.

If I could get to grips with using it, I think it would be rather good. [Sigh].

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 31 Oct 2011
This skirt was ok, but isn't looking good enough to wear to work after about 5 bouts in the washing machine, alas.

Shock Absorber S5044 Womens Run Bra - 36C, Black/ Silver
Shock Absorber S5044 Womens Run Bra - 36C, Black/ Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb support., 31 Oct 2011
This sports bra is far and away the best I have ever had and does the job more than adequately when running on a treadmill. Well worth the expense.

Kong Air Squeaker Dumbbell, Small
Kong Air Squeaker Dumbbell, Small

2.0 out of 5 stars Another One Bites the Dust, 2 Oct 2011
Within three hours my Jack Russell mix had divined how to remove the fuzzy outer covering of this toy. Neon yellow-green tufts peppered the green grass in the garden, gently swaying this way and that in the warm breeze. And the toy was swiftly taken away. [Sigh].

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives [DVD]
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives [DVD]
Dvd ~ Thanapat Saisaymar
Offered by The World Cinema Store

3.0 out of 5 stars Not without merit, but sloooow, 11 July 2011
I feel as though I saw this film a very long time ago, though in fact it was just a few weeks ago. My memories of it are impressionistic, but that may be because the film as a whole is rather impressionistic. Visually beautiful scenes and a couple very memorable ones pepper what is otherwise a very slow moving narrative that failed to fully engage. Relatively poor production values (lighting and sound in particular) distracted this viewer a bit, but they also held some measure of aesthetic intrigue. In parts the story line felt as if it were inspired by G.G. Marquez, but ultimately the magic realism, or perhaps better termed, the magic surrealism, once again, failed to fully engage. But it is a film not without merit, and the concept is comparatively novel.

Sony MDREX38IPB.CE7 In-Ear Headphones with In-Line iPod Remote Control
Sony MDREX38IPB.CE7 In-Ear Headphones with In-Line iPod Remote Control
Offered by Amy`s Schätze

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 28 May 2010
I am delighted with my Sony In-Ear Headphones. The sound quality is extremely good; they block out external noise very well so that I can reduce the volume(thereby, hopefully, better preserving my hearing long-term)and they never fall out of my ears -- even when running. Great value for money and I recommend them without reservation.