Profile for yellowmorag > Reviews

Hong Kong Policeman
Hong Kong Policeman
by Chris Emmett

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 14 Oct 2014
This review is from: Hong Kong Policeman (Paperback)
An interesting account of the author's time living and working in Hong Kong during an unusual time (if there's ever a 'usual'time in HK). Having grown up in HK I found the stories about his time in different posts fascinating, the author writes with humour and affection about his time there. I think the author has been brave in approaching topics such as corruption in HK, although I'd have loved more stories about the triads - HK policeman 2?

Garnier Body Intensive 7 Days Hydrating Lotion Normal Skin Moisturising Aloe Vera
Offered by Express Essentials

3.0 out of 5 stars Garnier body intensive, 21 Mar 2011
I chose this body lotion, out of the new Garnier range, because it had aloe vera in it, which I've found to be excellent in terms of keeping skin moisturised. Although this lotion is easily absorbed my skin feels dry very quickly (and that's after the two weeks twice daily application), whereas other Garnier products I've used have been far better (such as Garnier Body Repair Anti-Dryness Restoring Moisturiser). So, overall cheap, inoffensive but not as effective as promised.

Vernon God Little
Vernon God Little
by DBC Pierre

3.0 out of 5 stars Vernon God Little, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: Vernon God Little (Paperback)
The title character is a fifteen-year-old boy who lives in a small town in the U.S. state of Texas. When his friend Jesus Navarro commits suicide after killing sixteen bullying schoolmates, suspicion falls on Vernon, who becomes something of a scapegoat in his small hometown of Martirio. Fearing the death penalty, he goes on the run to Mexico.

This was DCB Pierre's debut novel and he won the Booker prize in 2003 for it. I have absolutely no idea why. There's clear inspiration taken from Catcher in the Rye, but it's like an updated, warped version of it. The author's disgust and revulsion with modern day America is apparent in his vile characters, which are little more than ill-drawn caricatures. His views with regards to modern society have been expressed before and illustrated far better by other writers. It occasionally made me chuckle, there was the odd well observed comment, and it's an interesting premise, but overall I thought it was pretty poor. I think if it had not received such excessive praise and had not won the Booker Prize, I wouldn't be so unimpressed, I was expecting something far more spectacular.

Indecision
Indecision
by Benjamin Kunkel

2.0 out of 5 stars Decide not to, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: Indecision (Paperback)
Dwight Wilmerding life lacks direction and substance, he decides he take a hold of his life by trying an experimental new treatment for chronic indecision. Dwight proceeds t get fired from his low-level job at Pfizer, and hops on a plane to Ecuador to see a old schoolfriend, on whom he has crush, hoping to change his life.

Ugh. This book was a bookclub choice. It's a coming-of-age blah blah blah. It's a potentially interesting idea, but none of the themes are that well developed or convincing. I think Kunkel feels he's terribly clever and making insightful comments about our disaffected and confused generation, but it just seemed like late night drunken rant to me. Give it a miss.

Kissing The Beehive
Kissing The Beehive
by Jonathan Carroll

4.0 out of 5 stars Kissing the beehive, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: Kissing The Beehive (Paperback)
A young boy finds the body of murdered girl floating in the lake, where he is playing with his friend. Twenty years later, Sam Bayer has grown up to be a successful author, he returns to his home town seeking inspiration, bringing back old memories of the girl he found; although a man was arrested for the murder, tried and imprisoned, Sam decides to find the truth about her story. At the same time he is drawn into an affair with a beautiful but disturbed fan with the improbable name of Veronica Lake. In uncovering the past, his everyday life becomes sinister and his life and those he loves are in danger from an unknown and deranged individual.

This novel is a fair departure for Carroll, away from the strange surreal, magical realities he normally creates, however Kissing The Beehive retains the menacing atmosphere of his previous novels. The story is engaging and exciting, although I was rather hoping for it to step sideways into the bizarre, as his other stories do.

Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant 50ml (Packaging Varies)
Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant 50ml (Packaging Varies)
Offered by PremiumBrands-4-Less

5.0 out of 5 stars Eight hour cream, 7 Feb 2011
This product is excellent as a barrier cream, I like to use it during the winter when I'm heading outside, before going swimming to protect my skin from the chlorine and occasionally before I go to bed at night. I know my mother uses it to soothe dermatitis on her hands and thinks it's a wonderful. It is a very heavy cream, with it's paraffin base, so I wouldn't recommend it to be used everyday, especially if your skin is naturally oily like mine as it can result in spots. The smell is unusual but it's not pungent. It lasts a looooong time and is worth the money.

Time Bandits [DVD] [1981]
Time Bandits [DVD] [1981]
Dvd ~ Sean Connery
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars The most fabulous object in the world, 7 Dec 2006
This review is from: Time Bandits [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
This is an excellent film; I first watched it when I was quite little and found all the heros and monsters from legends thrilling. Watching it now it seems far funnier than I remember, but I think little children will just take whatever they want from it - it's great!

A bunch of midgets crash through a little boys wardrobe one night and open a hole into another place and time in search of treasure and the most fabulous object in the world meeting monsters, figures from history and ultimately evil... it's great!!

Watch it, watch it, watch it!!!