ARRAY(0xb443a0a8)

Stripper
Offered by CDandVinyl
Price: 4.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't kiss the girls, don't touch the girls..., 25 Feb 2006
This review is from: Stripper (Audio CD)
Sohodolls are, in one word, lush. A few other words that could be used (and are epitomised by this single) are sexy, seedy, glamourous, grimy, naughty, ambiguous... I could continue. "Stripper" is a truely stomping glam rock single with a modern edge to it. despite sounding a little like Goldfrapp's "Strict machine" in places, the Sohodolls certainly have a very unique sound, which is, in fact, nothing like Alison Goldfrapp's current glam style. Theirs is something much darker, capturing the sights, sounds and sensations of a stip club. It works well sitting at home listening to it, but even better in a club, at which point the beat will surely get even the most bashful revellers onto the dancefloor. A big thumbs up to a cracking track.

Waiting For My Rocket To Come
Waiting For My Rocket To Come
Price: 3.17

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the remedy..., 28 Jun 2005
"Waiting For My Rocket To Come" is a huge dissapointment.
Having been a fan of Jason Mraz for a few years now, I was pleased to discover that he would be releasing a studio album. However, following it's release, I was less than blown away.
I first found Jason through a copy of "Live at Java Joe's", a live album that was sold through his website, and was blown away by the beauty of his songs, played on an acoustic with percussion accompaniment provided by Toca Rivera (the man with his finger in too many pies). When I played "Waiting For My Rocket To Come", the beauty of the live tracks was gone, and a cheesy country air had taken its place on some tracks, run of the mill american teen rock on the rest.
What I noticed immediately when playing "Waiting For My Rocket To Come" was that the strongest and most original tracks from "Live at Java Joe's" where nowhere to be seen. "Did I fool ya?", "The dream-life of Rand McNally" (the bridge of which went on to form the much less powerful "The Rememdy") and "Common Pleasure", the highlights of the live set and what I previously believed to be Jason's strongest moments are gone, and I assume I'll never hear studio versions.
Gone too was the incredible grasp of skat singing which made Jason so individual and unusual in my opinion. This was most apparent on "Did I fool ya?" and "Common Pleasure", and made listening to "Live at Joe's" so exciting.
I *like* "Waiting For My Rocket To Come", but it doesn't blow me away. I recommend that if you like this album, you should buy "Live at Java Joe's", and you'll be in love, but if you're a fan of that album, you might want to steer clear of this.

This Is the New Shit
This Is the New Shit

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it., 11 Dec 2004
This review is from: This Is the New Shit (Audio CD)
Yep - that's what you should do. Buy it, but not for the song, for the Goldfrapp Remix! It's far superior to the original version, and the vocals of the lovely Alison Goldfrapp give it an entirely new twist. Go on - get it.

The Hill
The Hill
Price: 9.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a great album, but has some great moments., 25 Aug 2004
This review is from: The Hill (Audio CD)
On the whole, this album isn't too good. Many of the songs are irritating and badly made. However, I have given this album 4 stars due to three tracks, The Morning, The Moot and To Sleep. All three of these songs were co-written and vocalised by Alison Goldfrapp, now of the band GOLDFRAPP, and are incredible. Deeply layered and very emotional. This album is worth buying for these tracks alone.

Little Earthquakes
Little Earthquakes
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Tori, A must..., 22 Aug 2004
This review is from: Little Earthquakes (Audio CD)
This album is amazing. Being a big Tori Amos fan and having purchased all of her albums, I can honestly say that Little Earthquakes is the best. There is not a single song which I can fault. Tori's beautiful Kate Buch vocals are complimented by her impecable piano playing. My personal favourite track on this album is "Crucify" and, despite having heard it thousands of times, I am still discovering new layers to it... Buy it, regardless of the rather dubious phallic mushrooms on the back of the case.
Usless piece of trivia for you: Little Earthquakes was produced by Will Gregory, one half of the band Goldfrapp...