Profile for Marlene > Reviews

Marlene

Measuring the World
Measuring the World

4.0 out of 5 stars A strange but compelling bio-fiction, 23 Mar 2013
A tale of Gauss and Humboldt spun together in a fiction built on the skeleton of their actual lives. It carried me along - intrigued, curious, sometime impatient, sometime skimming a few pages - but mostly happily engaged.

You might not find the same happy engagement. I've admired Humboldt's paintings and botanical illustrations in the Berlin Humboldt archive. I've climbed Pico Humboldt in Venezuela. I know a bit about Gauss' scientific thinking. So I was immediately intrigued when I came across this book. Kindle Books offered it to me for just 99p so nothing much to lose!

The author has his two main characters laugh at the thought of someone in the future spinning stories about their lives. I think he's done it rather well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2014 11:58 AM BST

Jessica Daniel series: Locked In/Vigilante/The Woman in Black - books 1-3
Jessica Daniel series: Locked In/Vigilante/The Woman in Black - books 1-3

3.0 out of 5 stars Good holiday reading, 15 Jan 2013
These are more than OK. Perhaps a bit formulaic.... Murderer has a voice, serial killings, DS Daniels can never quite stop herself rushing to arrest people without enough back-up.... But I did read them one after the other so obviously they kept my interest and I might not have thought they were formulaic if I'd read them separately. I guess it's easier to write a who-dunnit with serial killings than with a more in-depth one-off murder mystery. And even Poirot sometimes needed more than one death to work things out.

Discovering Eris: The Symbolism and Significance of a New Planetary Archetype
Discovering Eris: The Symbolism and Significance of a New Planetary Archetype

1.0 out of 5 stars Science?, 28 July 2012
Why is this book categorised under "Science and Nature"? It should be under Astrology. Remember that astrology is not science. That's astronomy. Good luck to those of you who run your lives on this sort of stuff.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2013 1:53 PM BST

Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit
Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit
Offered by DOOGLE

4.0 out of 5 stars So pleased with this ..., 10 Jun 2012
Easy to set up, worked immediately, does exactly what it says in the box. The router can stay where it is and we can watch streamed programmes and films with no buffering problems. Not cheap but worth it.

WD My Book Mac Edition 1TB External Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0
WD My Book Mac Edition 1TB External Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0

3.0 out of 5 stars backup software not so good as I thought..., 1 July 2011
It's a good buy for a good price, but it wasn't the plug and play software setup that seemed to be described on the advertising blurb and also on the installation instructions. Having installed the software I found it wasn't as good as I'd thought it would be. So I'm not using it and gone back to Apple Time Machine using this drive as the backup drive. But pretty good buy if you discard the software.

Electronic Hygrometer Station Aircheck
Electronic Hygrometer Station Aircheck
Offered by Wetterladen24

2.0 out of 5 stars bit too complicated ...., 21 May 2011
Bought this to keep a check on humidity after black mould appeared in a flat I have rented out. It was too complicated for the tenant to feel confident with. It's now in my own home - the controls aren't v easy to get the hang of; it's not very responsive to changes in humidity; and it consistently reads 2degrees C higher than my mercury thermometer. And I don't like the continually flashing bar graphs across the front of the display.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars cheap, cheerful and reasonably accurate..., 21 May 2011
Bought this to keep check on humidity after black mould appeared on wall ..... it's responsive, seems reasononably accurate and does the job. Moral of the story? tell my tenants they have to open the windows!

45W 24V 1.875A Replacement Laptop / Notebook AC / DC Adapter / Charger For Apple PowerBook & iBook G3 & G4 most models except 17" with Qubz 1 year warranty and UK mains lead (black) included. Replaces part nos M8482 & A1036
Offered by Qubz

4.0 out of 5 stars Mac power cable, 22 Sep 2010
It worked. It came promptly. It was inexpensive. And even more important, the seller said clearly which Mac models it could be used with. Great!