Profile for purplefowler > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Blackstar [VINYL]
Blackstar [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure genius, 10 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Blackstar [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I have been very excited for this release and rushed out first thing on Friday to get it. I should first point out that I'm not a Bowie super fan, I only really like stuff up to scary monsters and have thought most of the in between stuff to be a bit pants! But when people are saying this is a return to form, they ain't wrong!

First thing that struck me was the quality of the packaging. It comes in one of those fold out cardboard cases but the quality print is beautiful and the booklet is just a fine.

But the music is the important bit! This is just pure quality from start to finish. It can be a little wtf! On first listening but the more you listen, the more the genius shines through. Great lyrics which are never dull or mundane and the instrumentation is so alive. A lot has been made of the Jazz influence and yes, there is a jazz feel but it compliments bowie's vocal style and has a free and edgy feel. It cannot be pinned down to one genre though, there is a bit of everything in there.

I'm not going to do a track by track breakdown but I will say that I love it so much, that I bought it again on vinyl which is a thing of beauty and I'm really pleased to have it in my collection.

Sony PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 - Black (PS4/PS3/PS Vita)
Sony PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 - Black (PS4/PS3/PS Vita)

5.0 out of 5 stars extra dimension to your ps4 gaming, 8 Mar. 2015
I've had many headsets over the years but this is probably my favourite. It is very comfortable, the sound quality is crisp and clear with well defined bass and clean mid and top end. The mic is great. Just make sure you don't put it on back to front (the l and r symbols are tiny and not easy to see in a dark room!). I love the companion app too but wish more games supported it as destiny and watchdogs sound really good with the optimised settings. Very good headset and at a great price too!

Seagate 1TB 5400RPM 64MB SATA 9,5MM Laptop Thin SSHD 8GB Flash, ST1000LM014 (Laptop Thin SSHD 8GB Flash Hybrid Drive)
Offered by Sense Group

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for ps4, 8 Mar. 2015
i wanted to upgrade my hard drive in my ps4 but couldn't afford to go fully solid state. This seemed a good compromise. It was easy to install (even for me, who is not technical at all!) and its a good fit too. Great upgrade!

IngenuiTEA Loose Tea Infuser - Brewer - 470ml
IngenuiTEA Loose Tea Infuser - Brewer - 470ml
Offered by Adagio Teas

5.0 out of 5 stars The teapot of the future, 8 Mar. 2015
I drink a lot of green tea and my old glass teapot was looking abit grim. Now I love new toys so this really appealed to the geek in me. It's a brilliant thing, genius design. Shame I'm not such a genius and sometimes forget that I'm not holding a mug so I've had a couple of accidental spills but they are purely user error. It's easy to use and really easy to keep clean and everyone who has seen it has wanted one too. If you love tea then you will love this!

Morphy Richards 48822 Soupmaker - Stainless Steel
Morphy Richards 48822 Soupmaker - Stainless Steel

4.0 out of 5 stars Souper (sorry!), 8 Mar. 2015
I bought this on a whim and my OH groaned "not another gadget to fill the cupboard up and never use!". Well in this case I proved him wrong! It's a great item and I've used it loads. It makes great soup and it's so easy-just chop up what ever you have in the kitchen, stick in some stock and 21 minutes later you have really good soup! Magic! My kids love it too and often get it out to make smoothies, which are easy and safe to make. I love it!

The only thing is it has recently started to stop 1/2 way through the cycle. Everything is hot and cooking but it is still lumpy and not finished. I'm hoping it isn't on its way out already because it really is one of the best kitchen cluterers that I've bought.

iPhone Charger Cable, RAVPower MFI Lightning to USB Cable, Syncing and Charging for iPhone 6S 6 Plus SE 5S 5C 5, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, Mini 4, iPod touch 5th / nano 7th gen and Apple Devices (3 Feet, Apple Certified, 30 Months WARRANTY) - White
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars great lightning lead, 8 Mar. 2015
Very nice quality charging cable. The reinforced section at either end seems strong and it works brilliantly. I think it is better than the original apple one and is much cheaper. I ended up buying 3 of them, so I could keep them in different rooms and so far all are still working perfectly. Highly recommended

CONCERT UKULELE GIG BAG SOFT CASE BY MAHALO NEW
CONCERT UKULELE GIG BAG SOFT CASE BY MAHALO NEW

5.0 out of 5 stars good protection with great style, 8 Mar. 2015
This is a great quality gig bag. I love the pattern of the material but, more importantly is the padding and protection it gives. My uke fits very snugly and it is very well padded so no need to worry about the odd knock or bang. If you love your uke, you really can't go far wrong with this stylish, high quality bag.

Play It Loud
Play It Loud

5.0 out of 5 stars Before they were crazee!, 8 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Play It Loud (Audio CD)
I first heard this album years ago when my mum took me to visit one of her friends from back in the day. Obviously I had heard their various glam hits but never really paid that much attention but when I saw this early version of them on the cover I was intrigued. Noddy without all the hair and not yelling about Christmas? Well I was in for a really treat. This is a great, earthy bluesy/Rock album, of its time but not cliched. The song writing is quality and noddy's voice is pure class, it really shows the promise of the good stuff to come (seriously, take away the glitter and you get a good, solid and very underrated rock band). So when I came across the cd, I had to have it. It was just as good as I remembered it, if not better and everyone I've played it to has loved it too. It is a really gem so don't let the slade image of the '70s glam period put you off.

Remington WDF4840 Cordless Lady Shaver
Remington WDF4840 Cordless Lady Shaver

5.0 out of 5 stars a pretty close shave!, 8 Mar. 2015
I am normally a wet shave kind of girl but the price of blades is getting silly so I thought I'd try an electric. I have own a couple of Philips ladyshaves before and normally ended up throwing them away after the first use. So I saw this one and the price was good so I thought I'd give it a go. I really wasn't expecting much but I have to say I'm pretty impressed. If you apply a reasonable amount of pressure, it gives a pretty darned close shave. Sure it's not as close as a wet shave but it really isn't that far off. Legs feel great, armpits are really impressive. The only area that was a little trickier is bikini line as the head is just slightly too big to get any precision but I also have no rash or irritation after using it. I'm really impressed and wished I'd tried a Remington years ago-would have saved me a fortune in blades!

Ozeri Touch 200 KG / 440 LBS Total Body Bathroom Scale -- Measures Weight, Body Fat, Hydration, Muscle and Bone Mass with Auto Recognition and Infant Tare Technology
Offered by Ozeri UK

5.0 out of 5 stars great scales, 6 Feb. 2015
Fantastic scale, very easy to set up and it really does remember the profiles. They seem accurate (which may or may not be a good thing!). All the information is very clear and easy to read. They also look great. If you like gadgets and want to have some techie scales at a great price then these are well worth looking at.

Page: 1 | 2