Profile for Mr. P. Winstanley > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Winstanley

Mr. P. Winstanley (Manchester, UK)

Death of the PC: The authoritative guide to the decline of the PC and the rise of post-PC devices
Price: 5.14

5.0 out of 5 stars A little Microsoft bashing but a true reflection of the way the industry is moving., 4 Nov 2013
In this book the author takes some rather nasty swipes at Microsoft and there are some sweeping generalisations especially around security which are totally unfounded. That aside, the book it's self brings a very interesting point of view to the discussion of mobile computing and where tablets fit into the ecosystem. The observation that tablets absolutely are creation devices just like their grown up brothers but creating something different, not documents but connections and human interaction is inspirational.

I'd recommend anyone working in computing with an interest in where both the enterprise and consumer space is moving to read this book, although, if you are a Microsoft fan bite your tongue as you do so.

Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scales - Black
Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scales - Black
Price: 74.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Who knew I had that much fat?!, 10 Oct 2013
Loving the Aria, simple to setup and using it instantly. Having an automatic record of my weight is really useful, saves me having to try and keep track and more so, stops me from "Ohh, but I just had a big meal" when I weigh myself.

Windows Presentation Foundation Unleashed (WPF)
Windows Presentation Foundation Unleashed (WPF)
by Adam Nathan
Price: 36.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best technical tomes out there, 11 Nov 2007
The book is truly one of the best technical tomes I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I picked it up and read the book cover to cover over the course of a few evenings; it prepared me for WPF and did so in a way that enabled me to start thinking about how to build my application whilst leafing through page after page of detailed descriptions and expert knowledge.

Plantronics DSP-400 Stereo Folding Computer Headset
Plantronics DSP-400 Stereo Folding Computer Headset

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Quality - Guaranteed Satisfaction, 13 April 2003
The DSP-400 is a beautiful headset. It has excellent quality - a crystal clear microphone and a pair of headphones that output a decent quality of audio.
This product is easy to install, on Windows XP I had it working in fewer than 2 minutes. The software is clean cut and easy to understand, though you don't have to use the software to use the product - it does give you more control over the unit.
As for the Physical build of this product I'm going to agree with the other reviewers that it does feel slightly flimsy, but that is completely off set by the fact that the whole unit folds up to be smaller than my mouse! Also the unit comes with a neat leather carry bag, that is something Laptop users such as my self will find very nice.
The only problem with the unit is that the cables for the headphones come up to both the left and right earpieces, I'd be much more comfortable with just one cable going to the right earpiece and none to the left.

NET My Services Specification
NET My Services Specification
by Microsoft Press

4.0 out of 5 stars Developers Guide to .NET My Services, 2 Dec 2001
This book is not for people who want to know "What .NET My Services" is, its a developers companion with about three quarters of the book being code and syntax.
This book is currently only of any use to you if you are on the .NET My Services Alpha program...
The book is the Microsoft .NET My Services Developers Dictionary, with a chapter devoted to the "what", "when" and "why" of the subject and the rest devoted to "how".
I would not recommend this book to anyone who wants a background as to what this is, but only those who want to start coding with .NET My Services.

Early Adopter Hailstorm (.NET My Services)
Early Adopter Hailstorm (.NET My Services)
by Dan Maharry

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to alpha software., 2 Dec 2001
This book not only gives a good overview of the .NET My services subject but also has allot of background information as to the who, what, where, when and why of the subject.
It lets the business people out there know why .NET My Services is a huge opportunity at the same time as being targeted at developers with code samples and introductions to the underlying technologies that do/will support the technology (HSDL and XMI are explained).
This book is not the be all and end all of .NET My services and at the moment none of the books out there are.
For now this book does a good job and lets people plan ahead.

ASP.NET: Tips, Tutorials, and Code
ASP.NET: Tips, Tutorials, and Code
by Scott Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything in one book!, 3 Sep 2001
This book takes the attitude towards the reader that they are not an idiot, whilst at the same time taking a simple clean approach to explaining the code it is showing you.
It covers all the topics you could wish to cover in an ASP.NET book with many examples and excellant step by step walk throughs.
I would personally reccomend this book to anyone who is thinking of Starting ASP.NET, it is all you need to start!