ARRAY(0xab4726d8)

Profile for Janet Calderwood > Reviews

Content by Janet Calderwood

Janet Calderwood "Jan the Artist" (Spain)

Page: 1 | 2
Lumie Bodyclock STARTER 30 Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Sunrise and Sunset Features
Price: 53.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but fiddly, 16 Jan 2014
I have had a Philips light box in the past to deal with my Seasonal Affective Disorder- which did the trick. So I thought it would be nice to wake up to an artificial sunrise, rather than being ripped out of sleep by an alarm in the darkness. The Lumie does work, but it is so fiddly to set and alter, and the clock display is too bright at night, even on low. This product is good, but could be better, as could its instruction book.

A Short Book About Drawing
A Short Book About Drawing
by Andrew Marr
Price: 10.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 16 Jan 2014
I am totally bowled over by Andrew Marr's drawings, as well as his writing about the act of drawing and the purpose and meaning of drawings. He says that he wanted to go to Art College but was advised to go to university instead, " which may have been a mistake". It certainly was - he is a brilliant artist, though very dismissive of his evident talent. As an art teacher I will be buying this book for my fellow artists.

Dissolution (The Shardlake Series)
Dissolution (The Shardlake Series)
by C. J. Sansom
Price: 5.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 16 Jan 2014
I read a lot of historical novels and am particularly interested in the Tudor period with its intrigue and religious divisions. Dissolution is the first book in the series by CJ Sansom , and the whole series is my absolute favourite series - it is so well-written and totally engrossing. The main character, the hunchbacked lawyer Matthew Shardlake, is so wise and self-deprecating, doing an excellent job while dealing with the prejudice of his age against his disability. This series poses threats and problems for Matthew to solve. Dissolution is a murder mystery set against the backdrop of the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII and is a real page-turner. Brilliant!

Life Drawing: How to Portray the Figure with Accuracy and Expression
Life Drawing: How to Portray the Figure with Accuracy and Expression
by Robert Barrett
Price: 15.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book., 16 Jan 2014
As a teacher of drawing and painting I have to say that this is the best book on drawing people which I have ever read. The examples of Robert Barrett's drawing are excellent, something to aspire to. He explains the process and gives lots of helpful tips and techniques. Wonderful.

Ultimate Spider-Man - Vol 1-4 Box Set [DVD]
Ultimate Spider-Man - Vol 1-4 Box Set [DVD]
Price: 11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiderman fan delighted, 16 Jan 2014
I bought this box set of four Spiderman cartoon stories for a young friend aged 5 and he loves it! The actual films are too old and too complex for him just now so this set was ideal.

(Each Peach Pear Plum) By Janet Ahlberg (Author) Paperback on (Oct , 2008)
(Each Peach Pear Plum) By Janet Ahlberg (Author) Paperback on (Oct , 2008)
by Janet Ahlberg

3.0 out of 5 stars This edition is too small., 16 Jan 2014
This is a book I loved when reading it to my own children so I sent for this copy for my grandchildren. However this copy is TINY which was very disappointing. It made looking for the details in the pictures very difficult. Would not buy this copy again.

Les Miserables
Les Miserables
by Victor Hugo

4.0 out of 5 stars Les Miserables - Extracts, 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: Les Miserables (Paperback)
I am enjoying reading this edition of Les Miserables and in general am pleased, though I find it very expensive for a small book. It is obviously an edition aimed at A-Level students or similar, as there are pages with questions designed to provoke thought about how the narrative is written and about the social conditions at the time; there are also vocabulary explanations in French, ie. definitions or paraphrases.

My only criticism is that the editors summarized the pivotal scene in only one sentence instead of letting us experience the moment where Valjean steals the bishop's silver but the good-hearted bishop does not denounce him to the police, letting him go free and richer. This positive experience of mercy gives Valjean hope and in fact turns his whole life ( and that of Javert and Fantine/Cosette) around. Why deprive the reader of this crucial scene?

Enrapture Extremity Heated Rollers
Enrapture Extremity Heated Rollers
Offered by FINE STAR
Price: 49.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 26 Aug 2012
I am absolutely delighted with these heated rollers - quick to heat up (2 mins), easy to put in, easy to store, and they work their magic in 10 minutes. Well worth the money, very efficient. Body and loose curls with the larger rollers. If only they made a travel version! But a brilliant product.

BaByliss 2775U 50 mm Big Hair Rotating Styler
BaByliss 2775U 50 mm Big Hair Rotating Styler
Offered by Marriners
Price: 64.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the ends, flattens the roots., 25 Jan 2012
When I first used this, my hair had never looked so flat, especially at the crown - what a disappointment! I do find it useful for the ends, curling them under or out, but have yet to learn how to style the crown effectively - I have to revert to a normal hairdryer and brush. It's not what I expected or what I thought I had paid for.

BaByliss 2123U Root Boost Micro Crimper
BaByliss 2123U Root Boost Micro Crimper
Offered by Electrics Warehouse
Price: 13.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 29 Aug 2011
I love this micro root crimper. I use it on virtually all my hair, even the top sections, just not the top front one. I use it for special occasions, or whenever my hair is flat after washing. I've experimented to find out the right setting and time for my hair. ( medium setting, 6 seconds.) I've noticed no damage or ill effects at all, just a bouncier hairstyle with more volume. What a difference to my fine, flat hair!

Page: 1 | 2