Profile for fcukoffanddie > Reviews

Scab Dates
Offered by iAlpha Technologies
Price: 5.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Savage Cabbage, 29 Oct 2005
This review is from: Scab Dates (Audio CD)
Didnt know what to expect from this album. On first impressions it doesnt dissapoint. Consisting of only three extended songs; take the veil, concertina and cicatriz, the volta have more than done the source material justice but the real meat in the album is the structured jams that dominate their live shows. Several points of the album made me stop what i was doing and really pay attention with riffs and certain sections on a par with much of the material on the 2 studio albums. It all flows along very nicely despite being a kind of 'collage' of the last 2 years of touring, with different shows pasted together. The playing is remarkable and much of this must be credited to the rhythm section of jon and juan. Ikey and omar also have their shining moments as does cedric although his vocals sometimes falls a little flat. That being one of my only problems with the album along with the sampling and sound manipulation, which ive never enjoyed by the volta, although it isnt as pervasive as it was on frances the mute. If your a mars volta fan this is essential. If your not, your better off starting with deloused in the comatorium. Theyre my favourite band i wasnt dissapointed and if your like me you wont be either

Hail To The Thief
Hail To The Thief
Offered by cuddiwax
Price: 9.00

4.0 out of 5 stars radiohead save the world again, 31 May 2003
This review is from: Hail To The Thief (Audio CD)
isn't it fantastic to be counting the next few days till we can get our hands on this baby. Of course ive been making myself as familiar as possible with the internet bootleg over the last few weeks. Now its been widely publisised that the actual album has been mixed to perfection at the later date then when the version ive been listening to was "stolen" but were talkin' apples n oranges here. They're both basically the same.... I assume.
But anyway
If you are a radiohead fan you will not be dissapointed. this is a subtle, slowburning album that reveals its hooks and catchiness over time. I think thom said something along the lines of "Its a pop album that nobodies gonna get"
He was dead right. At its first listen "thief" comes across as unfocused and careless a sprawling 14 tracks make for an intimidating listen leaving even myself a die hard fan shocked and appalled.
But wait.....Theres more
While confined to my room, studying for the leaving cert i forced myself to listen to the album, attempt to decipher its uncomprehesible warbling, and i found a damn good album in there.
the key word is "subtle" granted the first two excellent tracks, 2+2=5 and sit down. stand up, have an immediate impact but its not untill u become accustomed to the albums unusual vibe that u notice the immense poppiness of songs such as the gloaming, sail to the moon and the truly awesome where I end and you begin.
I know for a fact that im gonna get a real copy of the album on the 9th. I reccomend that you do too.