Profile for Get Tae Falkirk > Reviews

Content by Get Tae Falkirk

Get Tae Falkirk (Falkirk, Scotland)

SLOTHS  2016 Wall Calendar
SLOTHS 2016 Wall Calendar
by Avonside Publishing
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Feb. 2016
Pride of place on my daughters wall!

Meet The Sloths [DVD]
Meet The Sloths [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lucy Cooke
Offered by The Canny Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Meet The Sloths [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent. Thank you

Sock It To Me Sloth Women's Ankle Socks
Sock It To Me Sloth Women's Ankle Socks
Offered by Super Fat Laces & Socks

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Dec. 2015
Happy

Head Case Designs Three Toed Sloth Famous Animals Protective Snap-on Hard Back Case Cover for Apple iPhone 6 4.7
Offered by eCell

execellent

NOS4R2
NOS4R2

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: NOS4R2 (Kindle Edition)
The sense of loss as I seemingly without warning, came to the last chapters was palpable. I was swept along by the story, the characters, the emotion, the drama, the tension, the wit.........bla bla bla cliche bla bla bla. BUT IT'S ALL 100% TRUE! The pages just melted away in a blur, as did the hours. Easily the best book I've read this year, by a country mile. Maybe for 4 to 5 years. My only consolation is Dr.Sleep is due out in a couple of days, but Dad has got one tough act to follow.

Dad Rules
Dad Rules
by Andrew Clover

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh, Cry and Reflect......Not Necessarily In That Order!, 12 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Dad Rules (Hardcover)
As a proud and devoted father of three wonderful children IMHO (....read the book and you'll understand the brackets!) this outstanding book validated what I found in my own journey, giving it a perspective and structure for the first time.

The rules are told with razor sharp wit and self deprecating humour (which I absolutely adored, probably because I identified with it so much). It also provides a candid appreciation of how relationships change when you have a family - all told with a stark and telling honesty.

I don't think I've ever read a book where the author is so obviously self aware and comfortable with what he or she finds.

Read this book, as the title of my review says; I cried, laughed and reflected on how important my three kids are to me. It allowed me to validate these feelings in a context and totality I'd never enjoyed or experienced before.

The hard part is now putting it into practice........perhaps a sequel will be needed. Come on Andrew!!!

Control [DVD]
Control [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sam Riley
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars A Film of Intense and Tragic Beauty, 22 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Control [DVD] (DVD)
Having read and in many cases re-read the majority of books written about Ian Curtis and Joy Division, while living with the music for approaching 30 years the anticipation surrounding the release of "Control" almost became a living and breathing obsession.

I was lucky enough to see Joy Division in Glasgow and remember being transfixed by the presence and intensity of Ian Curtis; it was just the once and fleeting but even now, after all these years, that feeling of witnessing something special and unique still lingers.

As a result I approached Control with a preconception of what the story should tell us and what / who the characters were and how they should be portrayed.

Dealing with the negatives first, for the sake of brevity a lot of the key musical moments were either ignored or given passing reference, i.e. the recording and issue of Unknown Pleasures and the significance of the Closer lyrics as an insight into Ian's state of mind leading up to the 18th May 1980.

That however is the only negative and given the emphasis on the story on the triangle of Ian, Deborah and Annick it was the correct decision. My complaint, such as it is, is probably because I'm a bit of an anorak where Joy Division is concerned and would have liked the film to be longer, totally selfish and impractical.

Sam Riley and Samantha Morton are simply awesome; I was gripped from the outset and immediately put aside my preconceptions and ended up being swept along by the story, the cast (who were all outstanding) and the cinematography, all credit to Anton Corbijn.

The closing scenes were simply overwhelming and I don't have the words to capture the impact it had on me.

This is a film for all; a film for people who can appreciate a story lovingly and painstakingly constructed, or should that be re-constructed; a film for people who wish to be challenged and reflect on their own lives; above all it is a film for music fans and fans of Joy Division in particular.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2008 9:44 AM GMT

Waifs And Strays
Waifs And Strays
Offered by I.R.D. International Records Dist.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Quality, 25 July 2002
This review is from: Waifs And Strays (Audio CD)
What must Ian McNabb do to receive the success and recognition his song writing and overall musical talent truly deserves? Waifs and Strays is an album of exceptional quality, containing beautifully arranged songs performed with real passion.
There is a depth and personality to Ian's work that is sadly missing from the "production line", "no singing - all dancing" puppets passed of by the music industry as popular music.
In common with all his other albums (Head Like a Rock being my personal favourite)Waifs and Strays provides a mix of tempos and styles. The 'new' songs are breathtaking, while the previously released material has a rawer feel that does the songs no harm at all.
All I can say is buy this CD....and any of Ian's other material you can lay your hands on, you will not be disappointed.