Profile for monkey duster > Reviews

Content by monkey duster

monkey duster

Pampers Simply Dry  Size 5 Large Pack 66 X2 (132 Nappies)
Pampers Simply Dry Size 5 Large Pack 66 X2 (132 Nappies)
Offered by Grocery UK LTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 8 Dec. 2015
Nasty, cheap, seemingly lesser quality of pampers nappy. Baby boy given nasty rash from these, switched to better quality ones and hey presto, ! It vanished....... Leaks through to clothes, fills up incredibly quickly, even the design quality is worse compared to other pampers...... avoid

Life, on the Line: A Chef's Story of Chasing Greatness, Facing Death, and Redefining the Way We Eat
by Grant Achatz

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 23 May 2012
Great read, highly engrossing from beginning to end!
From his humble start cracking eggs in his grandmaS diner, through to working in the best restaurant in America, to going it alone and finally the heart wrenching story of him facing-and beating-a life threatening disease, this is a great story through and through.
Some may not like the change of pace when the naration changes from Achatz to Kokonas, stick with it and you won't be dissapointed.
Awesome!

Eleven Madison Park: The Cookbook
Eleven Madison Park: The Cookbook
by Daniel Humm

5.0 out of 5 stars All you've ever wanted from a cookbook.....and more!, 23 May 2012
Simply put, this is a stunning cookbook.
Clear concise recipes, full chapters on recipes for sauces, purees, gels, sorbets, stocks etc. a layout of both kitchen and dining room, how the servers and chefs operate in these (flow of service etc), a full description of how the restaurant runs daily, plus some of the most amazing food photgraphy I have ever seen, all add up to the cookbook called 'Eleven Madison Park'.
This could one day be talked about in the same vein as, say, The French Laundry Cookbook, its that good.
Go and buy it, you'll never regret it.

The French Laundry Cookbook
The French Laundry Cookbook
by Thomas Keller

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Put- Stunning..., 21 Jan. 2011
I recieved this book for christmas 2009 as part of the The Complete Keller: WITH "French Laundry Cookbook" AND "Bouchon": The French Laundry Cookbook / Bouchon
All I can say anytime this book is opened is 'wow'. Every aspect from the photography, to the writing, to the sense of place and time it manages to achieve, is exquisite.
Yes it can be a little pretentious, but what cookbook in this vein isn't these days?
Whenever I'm stuck for an idea on how to present a certain new dish I'm working on, different ingredient pairings or I just want to drool over some stunning food photography(the only books I feel compete with it in this area are Quay, The Fat Duck Cookbook and Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine) I turn to this book.
It'll be one of my favourite books, nevermind cookbooks, for years and will take some beating.

I'll say it again- Stunning

The Complete Keller: WITH French Laundry Cookbook AND Bouchon
The Complete Keller: WITH French Laundry Cookbook AND Bouchon
by Thomas Keller

5.0 out of 5 stars A Steal!, 21 Jan. 2011
What more can I say other than buy this now?!
For just over £35, you get one of the most beautiful/influential chef-restaurant books ever published and what is basically a modern authority on classic French bistro cooking.
When I'm stuck for presentation or food pairing ideas or just want to generally drool over some stunningly prepared/presented/photographed food, I turn to The French Laundry Book. When I want to actually cook something at home and am stuck for ideas, I have a leaf through the Bouchon book.
I'll say it again, a steal, worth every penny.

Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
by Christine Rudolph

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! - But at the same time....., 17 Jan. 2011
First off I do think that this book is a masterclass in food photography, recipes (and the writing of them) and landscape photography. The one area for me in which this, otherwise well crafted book, falls apart is the layout. Why on earth did they feel the need to have the photos in one half and the recipes in the other?! Fair enough, if you are going to put the name of the dish on the page as well (see Recipes from a 3 Star Chef Limited Edition for the more user friendly way of doing this), but no - I have to find a certain contents page and then flip back through, though to be fair I do believe the publishers were trying to create some sense of atmosphere and place through doing this.
But I should point out this is the only negative that I can take away from this beautifully crafted book. It really does take you to a time and place through the images of windswept Nordic beaches, and brilliantly natural looking food. It even inspired me to do a few dishes at work inspired by this book and Quay (both of which have consumed my time outside of work).
So to put this down, as some have, just because you can't get your hands on a few handfuls of sea buckthorn, is plain wrong. It is a wonderful book, which gently sweeps you along for the ride (even if you do have to flip a few pages every so often), that fully deserves the praise that has been heaped on it.

Quay
Quay
by Peter Gilmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply top class, 17 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Quay (Hardcover)
I was lucky enough to have aquired both this and the noma cookbook recently and I can comfortably say that Quay beats it hands down in terms of what I'm looking for in a cookbook. The layout is simple, with recipes and their corresponding pictures next to each other (no flipping the book back and forth to see how the recipes lead to the finished plate), the ingredients the chef uses are all top drawer (mind you, so does chef rene redzepi of noma, so no complaints on that front:) ), some of the techniques used are, if not a revelation then certainly refreshing and relatively simple.
Okay, so not many folks are going to be able to lay their hands on white violet flowers, or fresh baby heirloom carrots flown in straight from holland, but I'm sure that most people will be able to take away some form of inspiration from this wonderfully presented book, be it the produce they use, the way they present something on the plate, or just a new general approach to cooking.
Stunning- my favourite new bedside reading book

Piecebook: The Secret Drawings of Graffiti Writers
Piecebook: The Secret Drawings of Graffiti Writers
by Sacha Jenkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality book, 21 Jan. 2009
I have to disagree with the other review of this book. Its very well bound, with great quality pictures and no interviews/ writing in-between them (just what you want from a book entitled piecebook). I've had this since it came out and haven't a single problem with it ,although it would have been nice to have a small picture of the finished pieces running on the trains/streets, but often they're so good they don't really need this. Showing the pieces in this way gives me much more inspiration than and interview with an outline squeezed in by the side. Overall a very good book that can hold its own against the many others out there and doesn't deserve to have a one star rating.