Profile for The Bookworm > Reviews

Content by The Bookworm

The Bookworm "Wormy Mc Worm" (Planet Earth)

Page: 1 | 2
Cuckoo
Cuckoo
by Julia Crouch

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., 28 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Cuckoo (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book. It was far better than I expected and in no way could I have predicted the ending; Zoe Heller fans know the impact that a genuinely creepy and unguessable outcome can have on a reader, and this is no exception. Rose, domestic goddess, wife and mother, is best friends with Polly, a poor man's PJ Harvey with Gothic glamour and exotic mystery. Polly's husband dies, and she rocks up to Rose's with grief-stricken children in tow. The obvious differences between the two women become more pronounced and as Rose loses her grip on her sanity, house and family, the atmosphere of the book changes to reflect her isolation and her point of view. It becomes a tense and nervy guessing game as to what's going to happen to everyone; the children, Rose's self-obsessed husband, Rose and of course, Polly. It's taut, intelligent and a must-read.

The Haunted
The Haunted
by Niki Valentine

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty interesting, but not frightening., 28 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Haunted (Paperback)
I picked this up because I read the back jacket, which assured me that I'd be "chilled to the bone". I wasn't. I was pleasantly engaged and certainly the narrative held my interest, but this is not the chiller I had hoped for. Valentine has style, no doubt about it, but I was hoping for a little more ghostly activity than this. It's memorable, not least for its bleak setting; I will certainly read more by this author in future. But for now, I'll chalk it up to a fine effort. 3 out of 5 - must try harder.

The Ice Cream Girls
The Ice Cream Girls
by Dorothy Koomson

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read., 28 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Ice Cream Girls (Paperback)
Don't let the unfortunately girly pastel colour of the jacket put you off; The Ice Cream Girls is a gripping, often difficult read. The death of a popular and much-loved teacher becomes the stuff of tabloid heaven when it's revealed that two of his students were accused of killing him. I have no intention of ruining this finely-crafted story for anyone who has not read it, but if you're looking for an intelligently written novel about reinvention, grief and a redemption of sorts, this is the novel for you. I read it in two days and wish I'd taken my time.

The Somnambulist
The Somnambulist
by Essie Fox

4.0 out of 5 stars I was wide awake!, 28 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Somnambulist (Paperback)
I'd heard great things about this book, and for once, the book lived up to the hype. The tangled web of Phoebe's life, and its eventual unravelling, is an absorbing page-turner that fans of Sarah Waters (The Little Stranger, Night Watch) will enjoy. It's an atmospheric work that doesn't let the late Victorian setting swamp proceedings. If you, like me, are an avid fan of all things Victorian, then I highly recommend this book.

House Of The Devil [DVD] [2009]
House Of The Devil [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Jocelin Donahue
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased that I bought this!, 3 Nov. 2011
I had heard about The House of the Devil and saw an ad for it on another dvd I was watching. I have still never seen it in the local dvd store and decided that I would buy it online through Amazon, as I could get it cheaply. It's an incredibly impressive horror. It is the disquiet that unsettles, rather than the usual blood, gore and slop films saturating the market. The ending made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. If you are a true fan of horror, this is one to add to your collection immediately. Memorable and striking.

Haunted Carlow
Haunted Carlow
by Cormac Stain

4.0 out of 5 stars Goosebumps A Go-Go., 29 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Haunted Carlow (Paperback)
Being a ravenous consumer of all things ghostly, I was anxious to read this creepy little collection of spooky tales from Carlow town, the South-East town about 60 miles from Dublin. Carlow has plenty of history which I'd heard about (Battle of Carlow, 1798 Rebellion) and plenty I didn't; namely, the intriguing story of Thompson & Son's, Lucy Slye,Carlow Gaol and even the Banshee. I'm usually more than a little skeptical about stories about the Banshee, largely to do with "D'arby O'Gill and the Little People" but this is the first time I found the hair rising on the back of my neck. Indeed, most of the stories in this book, in particular the "Friendly Ghost", meant I was looking over my shoulder while reading. This has much to do with the people responsible for the book. The stories are gathered by the men behind Leinster Paranormal, Cormac Strain and Danny Carthy. There is no lurid reportage; no narrative devices that try hard to evince a scare and fail. It is the almost conversational tone of the book that scares the most. As paranormal investigators, you get the feeling that this is all in a day's work for them - but they're never going to tell you the "juicy gossip" or speak about the people they help. This style is a blessed relief in a genre that is saturated with clumsily-written, hackneyed accounts of local stories (usually American) that just are not scary, spooky or even believable. This book is the perfect gift for lovers of local ghost stories, those interested in paranormal investigation, and those who like a good scare. I hope that this is the first of many collections of local stories from around Ireland, and if Danny and Cormac ever decide to chuck in their day jobs, a monster collection of Irish ghost stories beckons for them. Hallowe'en approaches....who's coming to Carlow Gaol?

Out of the Shadows
Out of the Shadows
by Lilith Mclelland

5.0 out of 5 stars I Read It In A Day, 22 July 2011
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Paperback)
Are you sick to death of the saccharine, puerile nonsense flooding the market at the minute? Would you like to read an hilarious account of why Insta-Wiccans are so easy to spot? And personal accounts of witch-wars that make you cringe and laugh at the same time? Buy now. McLelland is a rarity among Wiccan authors; she has a sense of humour. She is in no way po-faced about Wicca and her work is brutally honest about what makes those among us who prefer the rational, intelligent approach to Wicca, run away screaming. She is also kind to the newcomers; we have all made the same mistakes and she pleads tolerance and guidance to those who have fallen foul of other authors I don't care to mention. Along with Ronald Hutton's "Triumpn of the Moon", this is a book I recommend to all newbies - so they don't make the same mistakes we all did!

The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft
The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft
by Ronald Hutton

5.0 out of 5 stars Should Be Compulsory Reading For All Wiccans, 22 July 2011
This is the book that I recommend when anyone who is interested in Paganism or Wicca expresses an interest to me. Being written by an academic, there is no emotional regurgitation of a linear history of Wicca that simply did not exist. It is perfectly researched, incredibly interesting and is one of my favourite books. Hutton is deeply respectful of Wicca and Paganism and this is evident throughout the work. I wish that there were a dozen authors like Ronald Hutton to every one of those insipid, vacuous and inaccurate "Wicca 101" manuals. A genuine pleasure to read this book.

Wicca for Beginners: Fundamentals of Philosophy and Practice (For Beginners (Llewellyn's))
by Thea Sabin

5.0 out of 5 stars A Breath of Fresh Air, 22 July 2011
Oh, how I would dearly love to hope that the publishing of Sabin's book is indicative of greater quality control at Llewellyn. Finally, a Wiccan handbook written by an eloquent and instantly likeable author, who is genuinely interested in teaching without the New-Age hoodoo and attention seeking shenanigans we have all grown so tired of. Sabin's book is well researched, thankfully citing works outside Wicca for history and anthropology, and seems to have checked her ego at the door in writing. She also encourages readers to research and think for themselves which has been so tragically lacking in many other "Wicca 101" handbooks. One of her greatest achievements is the refuting of bad history and a frank and rational approach to "The Burning Times" and Christian persecution by Wiccans. This book, for me, was the antidote to the dreadful nonsense spouted by Lady Raven Avalon in her 13 part drivel fest. I read this immediately after and thank heaven I did. It gave me back my faith that there are genuine, serious, Wiccan authors with a great turn of phrase and a wicked sense of humour. More please.

Page: 1 | 2