Profile for Julia > Reviews

The Beach Cafe
The Beach Cafe
by Lucy Diamond

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved the Beach Cafe, 23 April 2015
This review is from: The Beach Cafe (Paperback)
I loved the story of the Beach Café and I couldn't put the book down. Set in Cornwall I could see the beach café in my mind as I used to holiday in Cornwall as a young girl. Evie, the main character is brilliant and very funny and despite the setbacks adjusts to running the café, which has been left to her. She has to leave her life behind in Oxford for this new venture and she certainly succeeds in the end. I also liked all the references to Oxford as I once lived there and could visualize the places she mentions, which drew me into the book. A great story and a very enjoyable read. Lucy Diamond is a great story-teller and I am pleased to have discovered her books.

The Year of Taking Chances
The Year of Taking Chances
by Lucy Diamond

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book, 23 April 2015
The book started slowly for me and as it is the first book I have read by Lucy Diamond I thought I might be disappointed. However, I loved the book once I got into it and the characters and their stories. I enjoyed how the three women bonded and became firm friends and how life panned out for them and how they took chances which changed their lives for the better. Brilliantly written and joyous. I look forward to reading more of Lucy's books.

Finding Amelia
Finding Amelia
by Kimberly McCreight

5.0 out of 5 stars Reconstructing Amelia - a very clever book, 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Finding Amelia (Paperback)
I loved this book and it held my attention throughout and the suspense lasted until the very end. The story was well written in a very modern way, including the use of text messages, it was easy to follow and the characters held my attention. I have not read any of Kimberly McCreight's books before but will certainly look out for her again.

Silver Bay
Silver Bay

4.0 out of 5 stars Silver Bay from JoJo Moyes, 15 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Silver Bay (Paperback)
Another good book from JoJo Moyles, it held my attention from the beginning, and it is very well written. I learnt a great deal about the Dolphins and Whales in Silver Bay, the beautiful beaches and the tranquil life the family live until a stranger arrives out of the blue to shatter their lives It is a romantic book but it takes a while to get there! I am working my way through JoJo's books but so far nothing surpasses the brilliant 'Me before You'..

The Ship of Brides
The Ship of Brides

4.0 out of 5 stars The Ship of Brides, 15 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Ship of Brides (Paperback)
This book by Jojo Moyles was very good, it took me a while to actually get into the book but it improved as the story progressed. It was interesting from an 'historic point of view' as I did not know that women from across the world in 1946 were shipped to England to to join the men they married in wartime. The brides in the story came from Australia and the story of their journey across the ocean on an aircraft carrier, the Victoria, turns into a remarkable story.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Hewlett-Packard (HP) Combo pack 301 - overpriced but necessary, 15 Sept. 2014
This product is very good and of course is a necessary purchase. However, I believe these cartridges are over-priced and I try to buy them when they are on offer only. I never buy at the original price.

Foreign Fruit
Foreign Fruit

3.0 out of 5 stars Foreign Fruit, 1 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Foreign Fruit (Paperback)
I loved Jojo Moyes 'Me before You' which was the first book of hers that I read but was disappointed with Foreign Fruit. It took me a long time to get into the book and I found it very confusing at times, as it looked back at the past, but that was probably because I found it hard going after reading the magnificent 'Me before You' which to me was one of the best books I have ever read and was gripping from the beginning. Foreign Fruit was a sad tale of 'lost love' for Lotti and Guy, when they were very young, and the coming together again some fifty years later when they realised what a mess they had made of their lives, which I found very sad. All the way through the book I was waiting for it to hold my attention but, unfortunately, it did not.

The Unseen
The Unseen
by Katherine Webb

5.0 out of 5 stars The Unseen, 4 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Unseen (Paperback)
A very good absorbing drama, and an unusual story of intrigue, murder, love and mystery. I was enthralled by a tale of 'fairies' and of Cat's part in the drama and It held my attention to the finish. An extremely well written, researched and documented novel, a real page-turner.

Draper 50678 Heavy-Duty Telescopic Anvil Loppers with Steel Handles
Draper 50678 Heavy-Duty Telescopic Anvil Loppers with Steel Handles

5.0 out of 5 stars Draper 50678 Heavy-Duty Telescopic Anvil Loppers with Steel Handles, 4 Jun. 2014
I a very pleased with these and can tell that they will last a lifetime. I have used them on my trees and bushes and they do the job extremely well and I am delighted that I purchased them.

Draper 34478 190 mm Anvil-Pattern Ratchet-Action Secateurs
Draper 34478 190 mm Anvil-Pattern Ratchet-Action Secateurs

3.0 out of 5 stars Draper 34478 Anvil-Pattern Raatchet-Action Secateurs, 4 Jun. 2014
I think you get what you pay for and I don't think these will be as durable as am ore expensive pair - but we shall see.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4