Profile for Andrew > Reviews

Content by Andrew

Andrew

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
4 Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Original Printer Ink Cartridges - Cyan / Magenta / Yellow / Black
Offered by OfficeClearance/OUR-PRICE-20%-UK VAT INCL.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's ink!, 15 Mar. 2013
Like all manufacturers, Canon sell printers cheap and make money on the ink. I don't trust generics for my clients, so I've no choice but to spend the money. I also, as a result, don't have a comparison with generics. Buy the ink if you want to be sure of quality, I guess. That's my thinking.

No Longer at Ease
No Longer at Ease

2.0 out of 5 stars Generic, 15 Mar. 2013
This review is from: No Longer at Ease (Audio CD)
Heard 'heartbeat' on last.fm, and thought this album might be worth a punt. I know why this song was the single now - it's the standout track by far. I was hoping the Nigerian connection might make for more variety than your standard R&B album, but I was wrong.

She's got a good voice, but you can't make a good album with just a good voice.

Cowon i9 16GB MP3 Player - Black
Cowon i9 16GB MP3 Player - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag, but remember why you bought it!, 30 Nov. 2012
This unit was bought for a lost (later refound) iAudio 7 which was a fantastic if fiddly little player (it was the best fathers' day present I ever received! Thanks, kids!). The sound quality was amazing (no hyperbole!), especially when partnered with my Klipsch Custom 2s and playing FLAC files. The battery life really was, as advertised, around 60 hours which means a full day of travel is taken care of (long haul flights, anyone?). In light of this, I had no qualms in buying another Cowon product.

Lets just get this straight before we go any further. I like it. I gave it 4 stars, but it could so easily have been 5 if they sorted out the following issues, which have obviously heralded worse results from less forgiving reviewers.

As I think everyone on the planet seems to agree, the control system is perhaps as bad as Cowon could make it. The i7 was bad, but I held out some hope that they'd learned from their mistakes in lack of intuition and improved. Not so. In fact, they seem to have taken the i7 as their benchmark and made it less intuitive again, which was really quite a feat. The menu system is confusing, the control system is bewildering and after almost 3 months of use I still don't know what some of the onscreen icons actually mean.

Another thing is the touch controls. There seems to be some confusion. The screen is standard TFT. Nice, but certainly not touch sensitive. The lower part of the player is touch sensitive. It works OK. My main concern about it, though, is again in reference to its predecessor, the i7. With this unit in your pocket, you have no idea which button you're likely to be touching. You could skip a track trying to go back, you could pause instead of going forward. The i7 at least had little divots over the buttons to help you locate them without looking. Not too big a deal when walking, but I use it in the car and can't really be looking down at the centre console every time I want to change the track!

I saw one reviewer say they were using the unit as media player for gigging and were upset at the maximum volume. I have this same issue in the car, a place where I seriously love to crank up the volume. Max it out on the i9 and it maxes out way before I reach my desired volume. It's not an issue using the car's CD player - I could make my ears bleed if I chose to!

The next biggest problem is the media connection. What gives, Cowon? The i7 had a standard mini-USB socket, which was excellent - you only ever need 2 cables (micro and mini) and they're all interchangable. Now? Cowon has, in its 'wisdom' introduced their own proprietary connection. Not. Happy.

It's not going to be getting any beauty contest prizes any time soon. Sure, it's not 'ugly', it's worse, it's boring. Uninteresting. Lacklustre doesn't cut it. The lustre isn't just lacking, it left the country with its new lover, leaving its job, the mortgage payments and the CSA behind.

So, it's hard to control, low powered and you need to have GPS and an armed guard on the cable 24/7 just so it's not lost. How come it gets four stars? Why do I still like it?

Sound quality. The i7 (yes, again) was good enough to make all of the little irks evaporate. The sound on the i9 is actually even better, even over a crappy 3.5mm cable. Mated to my prize Klipsch 'phones, this is astonishing. Sure, the max volume doesn't allow you to turn it up to '11', but it doesn't matter for personal listening. The audio scale goes up to 40 and when mated to a decent noise isolating headset, anything above '15' is just uncomfortable and unnecessary. The sound is detailed and precise, without too much colour (unless you use the almost limitless equaliser options - in my old age I seem to be more of a bass fiend, so use the BBE settings).

It plays my favourite lossless audio codec, FLAC (it plays almost every other audio codec in the public domain). This already gives it a quality advantage over lesser players. The better your source, the better your system. FLAC provides every bit (roughly) from the CD which means the data source is as reliable as it's likely to get (in this and most other price ranges).

!!!......NB......!!!
MP3, AAC (unless lossless) etc clip chunks of data out using advanced algorithms to trim that 50MB music file down to a very portable 4MB. That means you can fit thousands of tracks on a 16GB drive. FLAC does compress, but only by about 50%, so in the real world, my i9 has a 550-600 track capacity
!!!............!!!

It's better at its job than any other media player I've ever used, from a Creative Zen, back in the tail end of the 90s, to the iPod (all of them) and my son's Sony, as well as all the others. In the audio quality stakes it's king.

So, if you want a piece of audio equipment to go in your pocket, buy yourself a Cowon. If you want something pretty, get an iPod.

Zalman CNPS9900A Blue LED Heatsink and Fan
Zalman CNPS9900A Blue LED Heatsink and Fan

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing cooler; one problem...., 19 Nov. 2012
The fan bust on my old cooler, so I was running it as a passive heatsink for far too long. It shut down a few times, so I took the time to look at the temperatures and holy moly, the chip was over 90 degrees C! That meant it was time for an urgent upgrade. This said it was socket 939 compatible, so I took the plunge. It arrived quickly and the following day I set to work assembling it, cleaning out the case and preparing to install. It's a beautiful piece of equipment. There' a lot of copper real estate here - truly massive super-flat, thin fins; sharper than my old kitchen knives (so take care)! The base is pure copper. There are pure copper heatpipes and the beautiful fins, again, pure copper. Solidly constructed (although, how can a single piece of metal be anything other than solid?) and really quite heavy, it's a good job it comes with such a heavy-duty fitting kit - strong back plate, thick bolts. The supplied Zalman ZM-STG2 Super Thermal Grease is of the £5 variety, so ought to be decent, if not world-class. The 4-pin PWR fan socket was a conundrum, at first. The motherboard headers are 3-pin. Anyway, turns out you can run the fan with 3 pins, but without the speed control. There's a supplied resistor that you can put inline which slows the fan and reduces the noise from a pretty loud hum to a relative whisper (a big deal in a media system in your living room).

However, all was not well in my world and the reason why I withheld the 5th star will now become clear.

*************PROBLEM*************
Assuming compatibility wasn't an issue (socket 939 is in the compatibility list in the advert and elsewhere online), I set to, dismantling my system - a 6 year-old AMD Athlon XP, used purely as a media machine (video and music) - I took the old heatsink mount off... and realised there were only 2 mount holes where the big Zalman needed 4. Those two holes weren't even in a convenient place, so I had to do some thinking. This cooler would do the business, but there was no way I'd be able to use the supplied backplate and mount. Sending it back would incur all of the hassle of, well, sending it back. I decided to go all MacGyver on it and use the mount from my old cooler. Luckily, the old one was secured with a metal beam that straddled the top of the sink, so I threaded it over the top of the block and secured it. Luckily, the beam was mounted in a top-bottom manner (as opposed to laterally) because otherwise the heavy heatsink would have just slid off when the tower was stood. Luckily, the aged 3700+ CPU is long since out of warranty, otherwise it would've been returned.
**********PROBLEM SOLVED**********

Anyway, I got it fitted (with a lot of Jerry-rigging), booted it and took a look at my temperatures. Remember, originally the temperature was CPU-busting 90 degrees. Now, with the Zalman running, it was a positively chilly 37!

Marvelous. Hopefully it'll stay in place - I'll have to try not to bang it around too much - and serve me until the machine retires (soon, most likely). At that time I'll remove it and install on the new system... hopefully with the supplied mounting kit!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A good product that does what it should, 17 Oct. 2012
I bought this product for making a protective cover for an expensive printer and needed a tough thread for the cordura nylon and foam I was using. The thread is completely transparent and I can see how someone might have difficulty finding the end, but I had no such trouble. I can't think of anything negative to say about it - maybe it tangles easily and doesn't untangle (it's too transparent to be able to undo a knot), so you can't use lengths longer than say, 15 inches if stitching by hand. not the item's fault, I'm sure - more likely this novice! All round good product from a good seller.

Jam Sugar Confectionery Thermometer Stainless Steel by Tala
Jam Sugar Confectionery Thermometer Stainless Steel by Tala

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought a second time, it was that good., 17 Oct. 2012
We had this thermometer before, but after being dropped the thermometric material separated. Not their fault; ours.

It's a good, reliable product.

Catskill Original Butchers Block Oil - for all kitchen wooden ware & soapstone
Catskill Original Butchers Block Oil - for all kitchen wooden ware & soapstone
Offered by Harts Of Stur

5.0 out of 5 stars New lease of life!, 17 Aug. 2012
This was bought to apply to a new T&G Tuscany Large Chopping Board - End Grain Acacia. It made the board look amazing and improved the blade-protecting properties of the wood. Applied liberally, the first application sucks up the oil and you can go through a bottle in no time, especially if you've got a few items to treat - we did another board and a T&G rolling pin with equally impressive results.

Now the initial treatment's been done, it shouldn't take much to maintain. We've just ordered another bottle!

Acacia End Grain Chopping Board - Large
Acacia End Grain Chopping Board - Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Decorative AND performs., 17 Aug. 2012
When this item arrived, it came out of the box and I was impressed with how pretty it actually was. I also had high expectations with regard to the performance, protecting the edges of our knives. It is wonderful and our knives will no doubt last longer between sharpenings.

We also took delivery of a bottle of Catskill Original Butchers Block Oil - NEW FORMULA - for all kitchen wooden ware & soapstone. As soon as this was applied, the board took on a new lease of life. The rich wood became dark and beautifully marked, the grain really being enhanced. The protection to the blades seems to have improved, too, damping the noise and feel of the edge hitting the board.

Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3
Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3
by Daniel Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Bread rescue!, 30 April 2012
This book rescued my desire to make bread. I was learning for a few weeks with different recipes that never turned out *quite* right. Passable, yes, but just right-no. This book gives clear instructions and a fantastic problem-solving page. I make wonderful loaves now that turn out perfectly. A staple book for my kitchen.

Premier Housewares Tool Set - 12-Piece - Stainless Steel
Premier Housewares Tool Set - 12-Piece - Stainless Steel

2.0 out of 5 stars Some gems; most items not up to daily use., 27 Mar. 2012
Lets start with the good. The pizza cutter, grater and ice cream scoop are good items.

unfortunately, they are the minority. The following list of faults is not exhaustive.

The plastic is too flexible, so the spoons, turner ladle etc, bend under moderate loads.

The slotted turner is too thick, so it won't slide under your items to allow turning.

The handles are unsecured, so the items like the whisk fall and masher apart in the first couple of uses. We now have a Jamie Oliver, Large Balloon Whisk, Black.

The peeler doesn't. We now have an OXO Good Grips Y Peeler, which does.

In short, this set represents a false economy as £17 for the pizza cutter, grater and ice cream scoop does not represent good value. Maybe try these instead: OXO SoftWorks 8 Piece Kitchen Tool Set Contains Swivel Peeler, Nylon Turner, Grater, Ice cream scoop, Nylon slotted spoon, Can opener, Pizza Wheel and Nylon spoon. It's more expensive, but we've since bought a few OXO items and we've been impressed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3