Profile for Mr Maggots > Reviews

Content by Mr Maggots

Mr Maggots "Loser" (Manchester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Wiseblood
Wiseblood
Offered by ALL-MY-MUSIC-GERMANY

5.0 out of 5 stars Explosion of Deformity, 29 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Wiseblood (Audio CD)
A superbly flowing no nonsense southern blues-metal album with dirty guitars and some truly blinding songs.

Shivering King And Others
Shivering King And Others

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Future, 29 Feb. 2004
A retro sounding bluesy rock outfit. Sounds like a fusion of many different 70's rock bands, with a big warm lo-fi type sound. Lovely Stuff.

Boogie
Boogie
Offered by cheapcdsdvds

3.0 out of 5 stars The Scandanavian Pantera, 15 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Boogie (Audio CD)
This is Scandanavia's version of Pantera. A good solid metal band - the talent is there - but you can never better the original. Whether this was their intention - I don't really know.
Decent enough, but not enough of their own personality in there. Although I do like the way they pronounce the words, like 'Eye ron cross'.
It's an enjoyable album in the 'power groove' vein, but just seems to fall short of that 'fist clenching' factor.

Manhunt (PS2)
Manhunt (PS2)
Offered by GamersCorner

1.0 out of 5 stars Man hunt for variety., 15 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Manhunt (PS2) (Video Game)
Like many people I thought "It's by Rockstar games. They did GTA Vice city - this is going to be a blinder"
I was wrong. This is is most dissapointing and repetitive game I have ever played.
After the initial 'kick' of murdering people in a 'snuff movie type manner' with plastic bags, shards of glass, baseball bats and the like, It becomes apparent that this is all the game consists of.
Basically, you creep around in the 'shadows' and murder people in an incredibly slow and boring manner, again, again and again. Every level is the same, whith slightly different objectives and surroundings,
It's an 18 and not really that shocking either. 'Adult' does by no means suggest a serious game.
Lazy.

The Getaway (PS2)
The Getaway (PS2)
Offered by CDandVinyl

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 reasons not to buy The Getaway, 9 Feb. 2004
This review is from: The Getaway (PS2) (Video Game)
1. All of the time spent developing this game has been wasted on 'accurately' mapping London, at the expense of gameplay.
2. This game isn't fit to even think about wiping GTA Vice City's rear area.

The Great Outdoors
The Great Outdoors
Offered by Qoolist

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty splendid post-rock-pop-indie-lo-fi combo, 22 Aug. 2003
This review is from: The Great Outdoors (Audio CD)
This is Post Rock / Lo-fi type stuff with 'proper singing' and slightly less 'avant garde'.
It has that sparse, wide, sprawling 'textures' feel to it. Great sparing use of heavy distorted guitar (although the songs are not heavy ) and some computerized elements (drums) that really add an interesting dimension to some of the tracks. At times it ventures towards mainstream indie-pop-rock, but in a good 'moody' way.
If you like Godspeed YBE, Do Make Say Think, etc. and like more 'accessible' stuff also - you'll probably enjoy this.

Texture Freak
Texture Freak
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent effort, 22 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Texture Freak (Audio CD)
I purchased this album after hearing one of David Jack's tracks on The John Peel show. Can't remember which one it was though, not even sure if it's on this album to be honest.
Anyway, the closest I can describe the feel/style of this music is somewhere between DJ Shadow and Max Tundra, but more downbeat. Chilled out hip hop grooves mixed with various electronic and organic samples - particularly seemingly inapropriate classical passages and vocal phrases, which I like.
It's a decent effort and well woth checking out. This album had the potential to be great, but in my opinion it's let by one too many weak/uninteresting tracks.

Killing Joke
Killing Joke

1.0 out of 5 stars mediocrity ahoy!, 20 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Killing Joke (Audio CD)
I am missing something here? I have listened to this album about 7 times now. I've tried to like it, but I have to say it really is prime toss.
Having read the rave reviews in various print and online music magazines, phrases like: "blistering return to form" cropped up regularly. It sounded great, so I bought it.
I have to admit I am not a long time Killing Joke fan and had not previously heard any of there stuff, but I enjoy buying CD's from bands I've never heard before. I was expecting something immense - what I actually heard coming out of the speakers was weak, flat and pretentious.
If this is 'one of their finest albums in years' I would hate to hear the others - dull songs with no originality, overly processed/produced guitar that undermines the seemingly 'forced' anger/anti-corporate lyrics.
To me, they just sounds like a poor mans Ministry, and I dont even rate them very highly.
As with everything, It all comes down to personal opinion and judging my the reviews, many people seem to love this album - which is great. However, I can confidently state that this album will not be in my possession for much longer.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2010 8:42 AM BST

St. Anger [Bonus DVD Digipak]
St. Anger [Bonus DVD Digipak]

3.0 out of 5 stars Metallicock, 10 Jun. 2003
Okay, lets pretend that Master of Puppets and Ride The Lightening etc. did not exist. I know this may be hard for some of you. Basically, what I am trying to say here is judge this album on what Metallica ARE, not what they WERE. Imagine that Metallica are a new band, would you still feel the same?
My initial reaction to this album was. 'Oh Christ, now Metallica are trying to to go all 'Slipknot' by down-tuning and dropping all the 'uncool' solos in an effort to sell more records to 'da nu-metal kids'. That's not to say I don't like Slipknot - I thought there first album was a breath of fresh air.
This is much heavier I expected, which was a pleasant surprise. Quite chunky and beefy sounding, like Down but more polished and less raw, and not dissimilar to Slipknot (sic) at times. There are some satisfying chugg & grind riffing going on with driving rhythms - and you can actually hear the bass!
However, this album does start to get quite samey after the first few songs, and there is little variety. All the songs kind of blend into each other. You could easily take a part from any song on the album and paste it directly into another without any noticeable difference to the structure.
This is the major downside for me. There are some blinding riffs happening, but after a while everything gets a bit predictable. The songs could be cut in half (time wise) without losing any impact, as they only repeat themselves anyway. I think it might be something to do with the omission of solo's - as they often serve as a timely dissection & tempo change in songs.
On quite a few of the songs, they introduce a new riff / flavour in the final minute of the track. This really works, and freshens things up. Why didn't employ more of this in the main part of the song? That said, if I could do any better I would be in Metallica.
James' vocals sound a bit forced at times. It sounds like some of them are there for the sake of it, like they have been just slapped on top of the song, instead of intergrating with the song. A big bastard epic instrumental would have been nice, but that is harping back to another time once more (sic).
Some people have commented on the bad production. The production isn't 'bad' - it sounds like that intentionally. It's a matter of taste. Although I have to admit Lars' 'hollow' snare drum sound does get on my tits at times as it is pushed quite far forward in the mix.
The extra DVD is great and does enhance the listening experience - I actually prefer this to the actual album, as you get a better sense of what they are trying to achieve. I think the new bassist has injected a new energy into the band, even though he didn't actually play on the album.
Overall, If Metallica were a new band, I would say this was a solid effort from a band that had promise. Judged entirely on it's own merit I'd give St. anger 7/10. With the DVD there is enough in there to justify spending a tenner on this.

Dino Crisis 2 - Platinum (PS)
Dino Crisis 2 - Platinum (PS)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 6 Oct. 2001
What initially begins as a promising survival horror adventure-blaster soon becomes a repetitive and boring waste of time.
The control system is incredibly frustrating and not very responsive. Although the action is at a much faster pace than the Resident Evil series, it looses all sense of tension as a result.
A relentless stream of dinosaurs to blast destroys any element of surprise and just becomes annoying. I lost interest half way and never bothered to complete the game.
Poor.