Profile for R. E. Fabbri > Reviews

R. E. Fabbri

Calix Imperium, Roma Victrix Pewter wine beaker
Calix Imperium, Roma Victrix Pewter wine beaker

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to hold and behold, 2 Mar. 2013
This beaker is the most pleasing and delightful object. Not only does it look good but it also feels good. The engraving is beautiful and historically very accurate; the three panels are filled with so much detail that each time I look at them I notice something new. I had intended to have the beaker as an ornament but once I had felt its weight and had enjoyed the texture of the engraving as I gripped it, I was unable to put it on the mantelpiece. It has now become my every day drinking vessel and as such gets plenty of usage; every time I take a sip of wine I am delighted by the beaker's form and feel, it's a pleasure to hold. For me, however, there's an even more personal aspect to the beaker: above each panel is the head of Vespasian; so after a day spent writing the great man's story I sit back with a decent red and toast him and the II Augusta.
I highly recommend this for any enthusiast of ancient Rome and, as I live between London and Berlin, I'm seriously contemplating buying another so I don't have to keep carrying it around with me.