Profile for B. J. Pettitt > Reviews

Beside You: 30 Years of Hits
Beside You: 30 Years of Hits
Price: 17.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Kiwi Legend - I was impressed, 25 Sep 2011
A good friend, a kiwi who lived in the UK for 10 years but has since gone back home, always raved about DD and I laughed - how could a rockstar be called Dobbyn. In the UK or US he'd have been given a stage name, but not in NZ. So I eventually succumbed and bought the double greatest hits album, a retrospective over his whole career, inc tracks from Th' Dudes and DD Smash.

I have to say that I was impressed - it's not an album that hits you straightaway but the songs grow on you. If you're reading this, you're probably a kiwi and know all the tracks - I might be the only Brit to own the album. But just in case you don;t know, I'd say he's similar to Huey Lewis, maybe a bit like Justin Currie/Del Amitri but he has a distinct sound of his own.

Stand out tracks for me. Love you like I should - Be Mine Tonight - Magic - Devil You Know & Language.

I'm even considering going to see him in November when he's in the UK

But no-one tell my kiwi mate that I actually like DD

Pickin Up the Pieces
Pickin Up the Pieces
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 12.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album from a new band that I have heard in a long time, 25 Sep 2011
This review is from: Pickin Up the Pieces (Audio CD)
Heard a track from the band a few months ago, when it was featured on the CD with the Word Magazine. Listened to some more tracks online and had to buy the album. They have a sound that is bext described as 60's soul meets Cee Lo Green. A really funky sound.
And then I was delighted to see that they were at this year's V Festival for their first ever UK gig. They were awesome - convinced my daughters and their friends to come and watch and they thought they were excellent too.

Buy the album, go see them - you will not be disappointed

The Ultimate Collection
The Ultimate Collection
Price: 8.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Who's Best?, 8 July 2011
This review is from: The Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
An excellent double album which covers the main single releases throughout their career, from the early days. It has every track you would expect from an "Ultimate Collection" unlike some compilations which miss out a few key tracks. You won't be disappointed with this - great band - great songs - great compilation.

Beneath It All
Beneath It All
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 12.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Hey Monday - like Paramore or Kelly Clarkson?, 27 Nov 2010
This review is from: Beneath It All (Audio CD)
If you liked their first album, Hold on Tight, then you'll love this.

More great rock/pop songs, although I would say these tracks are more pop than rock. I thought the first album was more Paramore, but these tracks move them towards the Kelly Clarkson sound

Only six tracks on this mini album - they all have something about them but for me Wish you were here is the (Track 1) is the best - a damn good pop song with Cassadee's voice brilliant

In the UK, will they make the breakthrough or will the comparisons which I have made to established stars mean that particular space in the market has already been filled? I hope not and they get some deserved airplay.

I've seen them live and they are very very good - well worth a listen

Echo Mountain
Echo Mountain
Price: 20.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Belgian Band - Not at all bad, 27 Oct 2010
This review is from: Echo Mountain (Audio CD)
I'm off to Berlin to see this band in November - not because I'm a fan but the support act is Justin Currie (lead singer of Del Amitri) and a friend is a huge fan. Thought I should check out the lead act - this album has just been released - think it's their 5th. Can't say I'm loving every track - It's a double CD with 7 tracks on each CD (seems a bit weird that but....) - been struggling to think of a good description of the music - Melodic Rock is my best effort. Good vocals and whilst I haven't analysed the lyrics I haven't heard any terrible English which you sometimes get with European bands singing in English.

Think I will enjoy the gig

Baz

Harmonicas - best of (2CD)
Harmonicas - best of (2CD)
Price: 14.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Harmonica player, 27 Oct 2010
I heard a track of JJ's on Paul Jones' Radio 2 show and was hooked. So off I went to buy this album - the guy is such an amazing talent and there are some great tracks on here.

Maybe as a first JJM CD, buying a double album was OTT. It's very french/european sounding and some tracks (there are 40) are weak, but when some are outstanding, there has to be the other end of the spectrum. Sometimes I am left wondering how he does what he does - he makes the harmonica sing. Would love to see him live.

baz

The Chaos
The Chaos
Offered by Bridge_Records
Price: 1.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Futureheads - Chaos - modern rock at its best, 25 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Chaos (Audio CD)
Not sure how I have overlooked the Futureheads previously. I only recently stumbled across them by chance, when I was researching the bands playing Reading, as my daughter was attending. I haven't heard their earlier stuff so cannot make any comparisons but this album is really good. Album opens with the title track, which has a strong late 70's/early 80's feel (which runs through most of the album) but doesn't sound dated at all. I'd also liken this album to Boy Kill Boy's first album (very prominent drum/percussion) which is an absolute classic and one of my favourites of the last 10 years.
Heartbeat Song, which was released as the first single from the album and just sneaked into the Top 40, is a good track, but doesn't stand out above others - there are so many good tracks. The Connector is a memorable track - you'll either love it or hate it, but you will sing along to it! I Can Do That was the second single but failed to trouble the chart record keepers - and ends with a line made famous by Orville!! The Sun Goes Down is my favourite on the album - I think it stands out as a single and am surprised they haven't released it - good changes in tempo, catchy chorus, works for me. One other track deserves mention - This is the Life is probably the track that sums up the album, energetic, pacy, strong back beat and catchy/chant-type lyric. I'll be definitely buying some of the earlier albums - I hope they're as good as this, and I want to go and see them live, I'm sure they're excellent.

Faded Seaside Glamour
Faded Seaside Glamour
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 2.50

4.0 out of 5 stars First album from the Delays, 23 Aug 2010
This review is from: Faded Seaside Glamour (Audio CD)
Have only recently discovered the Delays - surfing myspace music - and initially bought their new album, which is excellent, so thought i would delve into their back catalogue. This, their first album, is just as good, but you can see how they have evolved as a band. Long Time Coming did make it into the Top 20 of UK singles chart and you can see why. A well crafted pop song.

Equally as good are the other single releases from the album, Nearer than Heaven and Hey Girl.

This album is well worth a listen. I'm off to see them live on 6 October and looking forward to it. Hopefully, the new album will project them into the spotlight once again.

Mulu: Rain Forest
Mulu: Rain Forest
by Robin Hanbury-Tenison

4.0 out of 5 stars Rain Forest Expedition in Borneo, 21 Aug 2010
This review is from: Mulu: Rain Forest (Paperback)
I heard the author on Radio 4 recently and thought that his expedition to Mulu was fascinating so was keen to read more. I wasn't disappointed - I think I learned more about the fine balance of life in the rain forest and what the deforestation means than anything else I have ever read. Maybe he could have gone into greater detail about the friendships and relationships, which he and others built with the local tribes and to condense 15 months into 175 pages seemed like a too brief resume. But still worth a read

Origin
Origin
Price: 14.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Depeche Mode meets Hot Chip, 21 Aug 2010
This review is from: Origin (Audio CD)
Villa Nah (from Finland) are supporting OMD on their forthcoming tour (Autumn 2010) so I thought i would give them a listen and was pleasantly surprised. There are some tracks which have a definite 80's Depeche Mode sound to them but there is also some modern Electronica in the style of Hot Chip or Delphic. No single track reaches the standard of the bands which I have compared them but I for one will be keen to see them perform live. Go on, give them a shot

Page: 1 | 2 | 3