Profile for stu > Reviews

stu

Postcards From Paradise
Postcards From Paradise

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyably predictable!, 30 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Postcards From Paradise (Audio CD)
Listened to autorip in the car this morning. Very enjoyable what you would expect from Ringo. A definite improvement on his last album, 2012.

The Beatle Who Vanished
The Beatle Who Vanished

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought I had read it all!, 13 Nov. 2013
An absolutly fascinating account of the life and works of the man who temporarily replaced an ill Ringo Starr in 1964, for 3 weeks. The amount of research that the author has put is amazing, I thought that I would skim the book until I got to the Beatles section, but no! What a fantastic read, I have been totally absorbed in this book for the last few days. The section on the Beatle tour is obviously the highlight, presenting lots of new facts and behind the scenes stuff. (What happens on tour, stays on tour............). But what happened to jimmie after is equally as fascinating. I thoroughly recommend this book to any Beatle fan.

Warship (Blakes 7)
Warship (Blakes 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars More please!, 17 April 2013
Blakes 7 and Dr Who were my favourite programmes growing up, Blakes 7 finished after 4 seasons and Dr Who just goes on forever. Something about b7 has always remained with me. It is a hard series to forget. This book fills in the gap between series 2 and 3 of the classic show, and what a great job the author has done. The characterisations are spot on and you can hear the actors saying the lines. I will definitely be downloading the other books to my kindle and keeping an eye out for more. In the meantime, how about a book that tells the story of what happens to Blake after this, leading upto the fateful events on gauda prime? Or what happens to Jenna? How about the story of how the hell Servalan got off the Liberator at the end of series 3, to become Commisioner Sleer? The possibilities are limitless and I will be happy to read them!

Doctor Who and the Daleks
Doctor Who and the Daleks

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I remember, 16 Dec. 2012
I was given a copy of the target edition many years ago for Christmas, and I would go on to read and read it over and over again. It was one of my favourite of those novelisations that I would collect over the coming years. I sold the lot at memorabilia fair at the NEC in the nineties (Doh!) Which I have regretted ever since, especially when the tv series returned and rekindled my fandom. It was greatly read this again after so many years. I will be getting some of the others asap, starting with the only story that I have never seen (not on DVD for a while yet) The Ice Warriors.

The Beatles: Live At the Star-Club in Hamburg (The Complete Sessions Plus Bonus the First 45 Rpm Record)

4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of history, 1 Dec. 2012
Being a Beatles fan of a long time standing, I have always known about these recordings, and have small selection on a vinyl LP of dubious legality (Rare Beatles), but have never been able to get a full set. I must admit that the sound quality is what has put me off in the past. Anyway, fast forward to 2012, and I was browsing the music store on my new KIndle Fire, and I found this in the Beatle store. You have to hunt it out, because it is surrounded by lots of dodgy cover version albums and karaoke collections, but it is worth it for the die hard fan. You have to realise the circumstances in which it was recorded, on a cheap reel to reel recorder in a Hamburg niightclub, just as the group were about to explode onto the British scene, and shortly after that the world. Ignore the ropey quality, and savour the atmosphere. This is the Beatles live and raw, and the energy really does come across. You can almost smell the beer and ciggarettes! Unfortunately a few of the tracks are cut off. I presume this is because the tape ran out. Download was simple and quick, and am know listening to the album thru my main stereo system. Not a bad price for 40 tracks worth of history, and as a bonus you get an mp3 of the first parlophone single "Love me Do/Ps I love You". As these tapes have always been a bit dubious legally, they may not be on here for long, so grab it while you can!

Ringo 2012
Ringo 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars The award for shortest album goes to.........., 31 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Ringo 2012 (Audio CD)
I am a life long Beatle fan, have collected a lot of solo albums, but have always been lacking in the Ringo dept. However, a trip to one of his concerts last year with his All Starr band changed all that, and on the strength of that I purchased His "Y not" album which I really enjoyed, so I had high hopes for this release. Unfortunately, at just under 29mins long and a meagre 9 tracks, I have to say I am disapointed. Thats not to say its a bad album, just that it has got an air of "will this do" about it. Could do better. I really think that both Paul and Ringo should get together with someone like Rick Rubin, and each produce one last great album. It worked for Johnny Cash, it worked for Neil Diamond, so "Y not?" Anyway, roll on next week and Maccas new album!

McCartney II
McCartney II

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as i remember!, 18 Jun. 2011
This review is from: McCartney II (Audio CD)
I first heard this album in the late 80's,when I was on my "voyage of discovery" of the beatles and everything connected with them.I have to say that at the time I was not impressed. Sandwiched between the underrated "Back To The Egg", and the superb "Tug of War" albums, this came as something of a shock. It started well with "Coming Up", (even John Lennon liked this one!), and then went into the almost unlistenable "Temporary Secratary". After that it was all downhill for my young ears! This album was the one I hated, and did not bother to purchase when the back catalogue was remastered in the early nineties. Flash forwars to 2011, and I decided to redress the balance, and fill the gap in my Macca collection, and take the plunge with this album! I was pleasantly surprised. Although it doesn't quite reach the heights of some of his other albums, there is much to enjoy on this. Tracks like "On the Way", and the closing track "One of these Days" bring back some of the vibe and feel of "Mcartney" and others like "Bogey Music" and "Darkroom" see Macca embracing the coming decade, synths and all. Maybe now, at the age of 41, I can see where he was coming from. The second disc has some outtakes and unrealeased tracks, the best of which are "Blue Sway" and "All You Horse riders" If you enjoyed Maccas last outing as the Fireman, Electric Arguments, then you should enjoy these. Overrall very impressed with these re-issues, although would have liked some sleeve notes, putting everything into context, and deatails of where the extra tracks came from. After the great treatment of the Band On The Run re-issue, is it to much to expect the same for the rest of the catalogue? Docked half a star for lack of sleevenotes! (Temporary Secratary is still a pile of c**p!)
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2011 12:37 AM BST