Profile for Gizmo > Reviews

Content by Gizmo

Gizmo (UK)

AIN'T LAURENT WITHOUT YVES T Shirt (Small, Black)
AIN'T LAURENT WITHOUT YVES T Shirt (Small, Black)
Offered by TeeIsland
Price: 7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Quality Not as Expected, 29 April 2014
Not quite what I expected, the quality feels quite cheap so not entirely thrilled with the item. Wouldnt recommend item to others.

Ketchup Clouds
Ketchup Clouds
by Annabel Pitcher
Price: 6.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching and Laugh Out Loud Funny, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Ketchup Clouds (Paperback)
I love love loved this book. It was touching, striking and laugh out loud funny. I loved the main character and the way that she wrote to the prisoner on death row to confess to her crime. The author is incredibly talented in the way that she made the novel funny and emotional, whilst finding the majority of the passages absolutely hilarious I couldn't help but get attached to the characters and feel sorry for the main character and her more normal teenage issues. I found myself rooting for her and Aaron all the way through the book and thought that it's a unique quality in an author to create such an attachment between the reader and characters.

I got through this book in days and it was amazing.

Dead to You
Dead to You
by Lisa McMann
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Dead to You (Paperback)
I loved this book! It was truly fascinating and a brilliant read. I read this novel in three days and couldn't put it down.

The depth Ethans character was one of the most brilliant aspects to this novel, his character well thought and you are truly on his side. The author cleverly makes the reader empathise with the characters and the traumatic situation that they find themselves in and the way that she builds tension and mystery throughout the novel was realistic and made the novel a real page turner. There are a few twists and turns in this book but when they conclude at the end I was shocked and amazed by the ending. This author has a talent of encouraging the reader to feel for the characters, even at the end.

Striking, emotional and addictive. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a good read.

The Shock of the Fall
The Shock of the Fall
by Nathan Filer
Price: 11.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 July 2013
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Hardcover)
I saw this book in a book review in a magazine and thought I'd give it a go. I was pleasantly surprised when I started reading the novel.

It's striking and quirky, the novel is written from the point of view of the main character and it allows the reader to really see into the depths of his character and how he was able to spiral into mental illness. I thought the way that the author depicted this downturn into his character to make him end up in an mental unit was well expressed and clear. The guilt that he felt about his brothers death was touching and the way that the scenes after his death and how his family went on living were really sad and very realistic.

One of the reasons why I think it is so effective is that the author previously worked as a mental health nurse so he was able to impart specialised knowledge of dealing with people with mental illness and mental deterioration.

I loved this book and am so glad that I took a chance on it and would certainly recommend it to anyone.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2014 5:24 PM GMT

The Time Keeper
The Time Keeper
by Mitch Albom
Price: 10.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 10 May 2013
This review is from: The Time Keeper (Hardcover)
I got this for Christmas last year and I read it in two days, I love love loved this book. The concept and idea of father time amongst the two main characters- one who didn't want to be alive anymore and one who wanted more time was fantastic. Once again Mitch Albom has produced an emotional, touching and fabulously written story addressing current morals and topics. I can't wait to see what he publishes next!

The Silent Land
The Silent Land
by Graham Joyce
Price: 6.39

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst books I've ever read, 10 May 2013
This review is from: The Silent Land (Paperback)
I saw this book on amazon a while again and was really looking forward to reading it, but I was so disappointed when I finally got round to reading it. Going from other reviews on here I formed a very wrong opinion of the book and imagined it to be so much better. The theory and concept of the novel is good, but the execution was dire, the writing, development of character and dialogue were terrible, I've never been so bored reading a book. After the first couple of chapters I decided to keep on going with the hope that it'd get better, I was wrong, if anything it got worse. The standard of writing was so simplistic and basic and resembled more like a poorly written childrens book, with absolutely no investment in quality and certainly didn't reflect the writing background tha the author appears to have. I had two other novels by this author in my wish list, since reading this novel they have been removed. I'm very sorry about this review but when you build yourself up and look forward to actually reading something so promising only to have it shattered, you can't help feel disappointed.

The Hypnotist
The Hypnotist
by Lars Kepler

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping thriller, 21 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Hypnotist (Hardcover)
This is my first book from a Scandanavian author and I admit I wasn't quite sure what to expect. However, from page one I was hooked, it was fabulous. The storyline was chilling and the descriptions were well written and really helped to imagine what was going on. The background characters of Joona and Erik were fantastic and they became really likeable characters. Other characters such as Joseph were terrifying and at some points in the novel I could literally feel a chill down my spine. The book explores the most disturbing aspects to human behaviour and what human beings can be capable of. I loved this novel and was hooked on reading more to find out what happened in the end. The picture on the front alone was creepy as well and reflected the chilling narrative inside.

I'd recommend this book to anyone, it's creepy, gripping and a true thriller. I can't wait for Lars Keplers new book 'The Nightmare' which is due out next year.

Room
Room
by Emma Donoghue

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling..yet disturbing, 21 Dec 2011
This review is from: Room (Hardcover)
When I first bought this book, I had no expectations or hadn't read any of the reviews. I read 'Room' in one day, I literally couldn't put it down. It's moving, fascinating and well written. Donoghue writes to evoke sympathy and really allows the reader to see the world from Jack and Mas point of view. Some of the characterisation on Jacks part was a little uncomfortable (I won't say which part so not to ruin it for people who have yet to read the novel) and it creeped me out while reading. I wouldn't have said it was an absolutely necessary part of the storyline and in my opinion I'd rather that it hadn't been included in the novel, just simply because it made me feel slightly ill. However, the rest of the characterisation was spot on and she developed the relationship between Ma and Jack excellently. It was so well written that I was able to get behind the eyes of both characters, Ma in particular, and understand how she felt both inside and outside of Room. The way that she was feeling towards the end of the book was completely understandable and predictable and I think that the authors descriptions and way of approach was really well done. The shear frustration that she felt when trying to explain things to Jack and trying to unravel certain aspects in her relationship with Jack, once they are outside was upsetting. I could literally feel myself getting upset for her, I really felt for Ma and how difficult things had become once she had left Room.

I'd definitely recommend this book for anyone who loves suspense, drama and heart warming fiction. Not the most comfortable book to read at times and the situation that Ma is in, is tragic. It's horrific and unfortunately there have been cases in real life over the years. As I said, it took me a day to read it and I really enjoyed it.

My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers)
My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers)
by Rachel Vincent
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 18 July 2011
I love, love, love this book and every book in this series. I love the concept, the characters and I think the writing is great. It's not just the run of the mill supernatural YA book, it's a bit different and handles something other than just werewolves and vampires. These books are fascinating, enthralling and I love them. I can't wait for the next book and would recommend them to anyone who loves Twilight or books about the paranormal.

In the Woods
In the Woods
by Tana French
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concept- not completely followed through, 18 July 2011
This review is from: In the Woods (Paperback)
I read this book after reading Tana French's most recent novel: Faithful Place. The concept of the novel was excellent and intriguing and after reading Faithful Place, I had high hopes of the novel. It's a pretty hefty book and I found a difficult read. The characters were well contstructed, I liked Det. Ryan, I thought he was very well rounded and the background history to his character fitted well with his characterisation. Rosalind was also a fascinating character who fitted well in the novel. I think the only character I struggled with was Cassie, I don't know why but I couldn't warm to her or find a connection to her character. The novel started well, with the mysterious element of the missing children and then the discovery of another body. However, my high hopes for the novel declined because as the novel progressed I felt myself losing interest, the story waned rather a lot in the middle of the book and the narrative cluttered with far too many descriptions, which resulted in me skipping large chunks of it just to get through. The conclusion of the murder was good, very interesting and I liked the way it was thought through. But overall, the ending was very disappointing, I expected her to tie up loose ends- normally I'm not one for knowing all of a story or having the ends tied up, because sometimes it doesn't quite fit. In this case, I think that it was necessary to tie up those loose ends and the fact that the story was left open disappointed me, because I felt like that was the whole point of carrying on reading. I'd have preferred to know what happened to Jamie and Peter, it's too big of a topic to just leave open and I think that the novel could've been far better than it was.