Profile for Williams > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Adele Colour: Red, Size: 38
Adele Colour: Red, Size: 38

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit slippery, 19 Jun 2014
My wife's pair, not mine.
After 12 months of use the grips under the sole wore fairly slick. Over the next six months she fell three times on cushion-floors. Especially lethal when even slightly wet. Not had this issue before and I feel I should warn people of this potential problem, especially if they are elderly and/or suffer from brittle bones.
Now consigned to the bin.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6HEB-K, Compact System Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 14-140mm Lens - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought an additional identical model and sold a DSLR, 27 Dec 2013
I bought the first one back in early August and was immediately impressed with it, although it is so sophisticated that it took a couple of months to really get the hang of it, by which time I was smitten and going back to a Nikon D5000 became a big disappointment. So the DSLR had to go. It was really my daughter's, but she never used it much.
Others have made good reviews of the G6 already, but once you read the very comprehensive full manual a couple of times and really got to know the camera and all its fine-tuning possibilities, its wi-fi, electronic shutter, video, picture modes and adjustability and on and on, it continues to surprise and delight on a daily basis.
So I bought a second. Took 650 stills with it today on a very windswept promenade where I had to clean drying salt off the lens a couple of times. Lovely!

My daughter is starting to take an interest in it already and in all probability I'll soon be back to one unit.

A few have commented about a noisy lens. I can only observe that both mine are identical apart from being made about six months apart. They also sound identical, with just the faintest of ziz to be heard with my ear next to the lens. Certainly not audible in any video, not even ones made in complete silence according to my hearing, which isn't bad. The focussing is totally quiet, in marked contrast to some other notable prosumer [is there such a word?] cameras I own.

Samsung 16GB Class 10 UHS-1 Grade 1 80MB/s SDHC Pro Memory Card Bulk Pack
Samsung 16GB Class 10 UHS-1 Grade 1 80MB/s SDHC Pro Memory Card Bulk Pack
Offered by Locoisle777

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 3 Dec 2013
I bought two of these the other week. Have only used one in the camera as yet and it has performed as expected. I don't expect better performance than the standard silver/orange 45mbs Samsung cards, of which I have several, due to the limitations of my several camera's buffer systems and transfer rate. The orange/silver cards are also UHS1 [or whatever it's called] and exceed all the performance criteria of my equipment. So why did I buy the 'Pro' black card this time you may be thinking. Easy, this offer is cheaper than I can currently find the orange/silver card.

AmazonBasics AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries 2,000 mAh Pack of 4
AmazonBasics AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries 2,000 mAh Pack of 4

4.0 out of 5 stars They store leccy!, 5 Oct 2013
They work, that's for sure. It takes quite a while to charge them, so I'm not entirely convinced about the economics compared to bulk purchases of non-rechargeable ones, but they must result in less toxic waste.

If they last for a few hundred charges while retaining their performance within acceptable limits then I'll be well satisfied.

Maxsima - Battery for Panasonic GH2 G5 & FZ200, DMW-BLC12, DMW-BLC12E, DMW-BLC12PP, 1200mAh BATTERY PACK BLC12, BLC12E.
Offered by Cameramarket UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Had reservations before buying, 5 Oct 2013
but it is working well and I have no regrets so far. It seems to last just as long as the genuine Panasonic battery. The only minor issue is the well known one of non-genuine batteries not indicating in a linear way their state of charge on the camera display, but I knew this before purchase and I am used to it due to the genuine Fujifilm battery and camera behaving in exactly the same way.

I always go shooting with at least a partly used battery in the camera and a fully charged spare. This battery was used on a visit to Chatsworth the other day and took 275 photos before discharging, which is just about the best I've had out of the genuine battery with the amount of control fiddling and reviewing that I do.

Overall very satisfied so far and I hope to remain so over the longer term.

Edit. It's now a few weeks later and it's still working, so all good. If it is still good in twelve month's time it will deserve a fifth star.

Fujifilm X20 Digital Camera - Silver (12 MP, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.8 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera but probably not an only camera., 1 Aug 2013
After using and playing with my X20 for about a month, I think the pros and cons are becoming clearer.

Obviously it is not the most compact of 'compacts' and it hasn't got the zoom range of a super-zoom compact, but that is missing the point. It has a larger than average sensor and can take some superb photos with the Fujifilm colour styles that they are famous for. The optical viewfinder is a very useful addition, but in all honesty and even considering the features incorporated, it is only a halfway-house compared to the best digital viewfinders now seen on some mirrorless system cameras. But it is what it is, and every tool is a compromise in some way. At least it has got a good viewfinder. What it hasn't got is a tilting screen for those hip-shots and overhead opportunities.
The twist-to-start lens and manual zoom take a bit of getting used to, but while the manual zoom is great, the twist to start feature strikes me as being a bit cumbersome after a while.

I really do like this camera. Its style, its apparent quality and the features it does incorporate, as well as the pictures it is capable of taking. As a 'best' camera for street photography and social occasions it fits the bill. If you want something that has a greater zoom, longer battery life [extra batteries are less than £10 though] and can slide in and out of a small pocket, it isn't for you. If you want a satisfying lump of engineering both to look at and to use, that is much cheaper than some premium fixed focal length advanced compacts, that has real retro 'style' and is to complement, rather than replace a premium mirrorless system or SLR and a small sensor super-zoom compact [thinking TZ Panasonic or Sony HX series], then this is it.

There is so much choice in the camera market just now and Fuji have made a camera that is almost 'loveable' and distinct.

Op/Tech System Connectors Uni Loop For Camera Straps
Op/Tech System Connectors Uni Loop For Camera Straps
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Part of a system, 23 July 2013
I have bought several Op-Tech USA bits and pieces to make a strap system that fits all my cameras, both from Amazon and direct from the physical Carmarthen Cameras shop. The system is great.

But............... this particular item represents the poorest value part of a system that is generally excellent value. It comes as a pair only, but if you wish to equip several cameras with the male end [lower item in the picture], the female is generally redundant and you might end up with several spare and of no use. Might I suggest instead that you purchase the Op-Tech wrist strap, OP/TECH SLR Wrist Strap - Black which gives you the necessary male uniloop with the bonus of being substantially cheaper and providing a wrist strap that might be useful to have more than one of. Even one left on each camera which can be easily substituted for a harness when suitable.

Every owner's need is different, so, as an American would say, 'your milage may vary'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2014 4:03 PM GMT

Samsung 16GB Class 10 UHS-1 Grade 1 48MB/s SDHC Plus Memory Card - Frustration Free Packaging

5.0 out of 5 stars The product is right and the price is right, 23 July 2013
And the frustration free package is right. A reasonably fast card at a competitive price. Looks good, feels good and does the job. What more could one ask for?

Waeco CoolFun CR28 28 Litre Thermoelectric Coolbox + Heater
Waeco CoolFun CR28 28 Litre Thermoelectric Coolbox + Heater

4.0 out of 5 stars Really hot cool fun, 16 July 2013
If the plastics were better finished I would give it five stars. This is a fairly industrial type product, which is a 'good thing' as far as I'm concerned. It cools effectively and also heats nicely. Just tonight my wife brought six fish suppers to our work location and they were nicely hot even after travelling 10 miles in the Waeco. So hot that the food was too hot to handle by hand, so just as well she had forks with her.
Carries ice-cream back from the supermarket 20 miles away, no problem, as long as only frozen food is packed in it. If room-temperature items are packed in with the ice-cream there will be heat transfer despite the Waeco, and the ice-cream will partially melt. It cannot defy logic.
Had it six months now and as long as it lasts a good few years use, which I can't tell yet, I will remain very pleased with it.

OP/TECH SLR Wrist Strap - Black
OP/TECH SLR Wrist Strap - Black
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective, 6 July 2013
But not pretty. Very comfortable though and as secure as you could ever need. Very easily snapped on and off and transferred to other cameras fitted with uniloops. Only one uniloop is supplied but I have a few shoulder straps and things and have uniloops fitted to several cameras so I can swap straps and cameras as needed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4