Profile for Stuart Finnie > Reviews

Content by Stuart Finnie

Stuart Finnie (Glasgow)

Paladins of Shannara: The Black Irix (short story)
Paladins of Shannara: The Black Irix (short story)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the bunch, 27 Jun. 2013
I have very much enjoyed Terry's return to some of my favourite characters in all three short stories -- but i feel this one was the best.
At times, it felt like it wanted a larger canvas on which to express itself, but that never detracted from the story.
It requires no further detailed review, as to do so would spoil the thing completely. But it is amazing how, twenty-seven years after reading The Sword Of Shannara for the first time, Shea's voice sounds exactly the same.

I am grateful to Terry for these three stories. I guess they are a journey down memory lane, to simpler times before bills and work and all the stresses of adulthood. And much like bumping into an old girlfriend, it's nice to know that the past can still make you feel good.

Stu

Paladins of Shannara: Allanon's Quest (Short Story)
Paladins of Shannara: Allanon's Quest (Short Story)

5.0 out of 5 stars Before it all began..., 9 July 2012
If anyone has read the masterpiece that is The Sword Of Shannara, then this is quite simply a must-read.
I will not go into it in any detail -- it's a quick read and it's only 65p -- but in reading it, I was transported back to when I was 11 years old (I'm 36 now) and devouring the first few pages of Sword.
It put a smile on my face, and although it didn't answer any questions or shed light on any great mysteries, it was a fantastic read and one I can't recommend enough.
If you have a Kindle-thingy, buy it. If you don't, download the "read it on your PC/MAC" tool... then buy it.
Seriously, one of the best things I've ever bought for under a quid.
Cheers for the memories, Terry.
Stu.

The Donor
The Donor
by Helen FitzGerald

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing story, 3 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Donor (Paperback)
Once again, Helen Fitzgerald has raised the bar. Not only with her writing, which improves with every novel, but with her storytelling ability, too.
I won't go into the details of the book - suffice to say, it's filled with her usual humour, laced in darkness, and is a bit of a "where-is-this-going... Ahhh!!" kind of tale.
But what I will say, is this: I finished it in two sittings. It's a genuine page-turner, with almost no "filler" that I can recall, which is something I was really grateful for.
I would suggest that this book will be enjoyed by almost anyone, especially those who love a good, solid read, and by those who can laugh (inwardly, at least) at those who are less fortunate than themselves!!
It's an insight into a world I have had almost no dealings with, and I loved it.
Well worth the money.