Profile for Gillian M. > Reviews

Content by Gillian M.

Gillian M. "Woodwordswriter" (Manchester)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Looking Forward to Being Attacked
Looking Forward to Being Attacked
by Jim Bullard

5.0 out of 5 stars and like any self-defence book it simply advocates buying yourself enough ..., 25 Dec. 2014
Well. What can I say? Written in no nonsense readable fashion by an ex US cop, this book gives a change of attitude to those who fear being attacked.
Yes, it's an old book, but the advice is, in my opinion, still valid. Some of the photo's are a hoot.
It is NO SUBSTITUTE for proper lessons, nor for keeping yourself out of danger in the first place, and like any self-defence book it simply advocates buying yourself enough time to get away.
I'd recommend it. I have to add that caution against over enthusiasm is also recommended. I tried ONE MOVE against a bloke who was a good foot taller than me and was approaching menacingly. I escaped - but nearly got myself arrested in the process.

Fabulous Rag Rugs from Simple Frames
Fabulous Rag Rugs from Simple Frames
by Diana Blake Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a brilliant book. It just goes to show you don't ..., 25 Dec. 2014
This is a brilliant book. It just goes to show you don't need a fancy loom to get started making rugs. I'm now hoarding old clothes ready to do my first rug for the new house.

Shibori Knits: The Art of Exquisite Felted Knits
Shibori Knits: The Art of Exquisite Felted Knits
by Gina Wilde

5.0 out of 5 stars I love, love, 25 Dec. 2014
I love, love, love this book. So inspiring, I couldn't wait to give the techniques a go. So successful was my first attempt, it had fellow students sitting there stroking the test piece.

The Circle Now Is Made (King's Way Book 1)
The Circle Now Is Made (King's Way Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars is also recommended., 25 Dec. 2014
Wow. What a cracking read - I could not have guessed where this was going to go. A very satisfying ending. Forever April, by the same author, is also recommended.

Amazon Kindle Sales Secrets Exposed! The 7 Tips Every Amazon Kindle Author Needs to Know (that Amazon DOESN'T want you to know!)

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd recommend this, 29 April 2014
As a would-be writer, I found the book short, sweet and to the point. More of an article than a book, but I am confident it will pay for itself.

A Day at the Office
A Day at the Office

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me., 15 April 2014
I can't stand chick lit anyway, so maybe I'm prejudiced. The only reason I got the book was because it was free with chocolate. I entered the code because I hoped for a good book, but the selection was dire. Chick lit and chocolate may seem like the dream combination for some, but not for me.

Death Must Go On!
Death Must Go On!

5.0 out of 5 stars The sleepy villages are the worst. Aren't they?, 23 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Death Must Go On! (Kindle Edition)
It's the mid-1950s and the scene is set in a sleepy little village. An undertaker, a pharmacist, a solicitor, a barkeeper and a reluctant doctor are plotting the deaths of a handful of elderly residents. All in a good cause: to boost the motley crew's retirement fund. A death occurs sooner than planned, and word of the scheme gets out, leaving the gang with apparently no choice but to ensure that death must go on. This rollicking story is a tad off the wall at times, but I found it to be quite the page-turner and nowhere near as gruesome as I'd feared. The story wraps up nicely with the baddies punished and the innocent, the remorseful and the downright daft all dealt with neatly.
I thoroughly enjoyed the journey and am looking forward to the next book from this author.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2014 12:20 PM GMT

Forever April (King's Way Book 2)
Forever April (King's Way Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Blimey., 16 Oct. 2013
A thrilling and amusing page-turner with plenty of colourful characters within. I honestly never expected that ending. Looking forward to Mac's next offering.

Tell My Mother I'm Not Dead: A Case Study in Mediumship Research
Tell My Mother I'm Not Dead: A Case Study in Mediumship Research
by Trevor Hamilton

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., 13 Nov. 2012
Well, this was a tale and a half. The author lost his son in a car accident, and spent years trying to get in touch with him via various mediums, in a very logical and methodical way.
Sessions were recorded, notes written, and care taken to ensure nothing was given away. Much research was done, also - the bibliography is not brief and promises fascinating reading.
The results were surprising. I have an open mind, but I can usually tell when someone is pulling the wool, and it appeared to me that there right in front of him was overwhelming evidence of the soul's survival after death.
Mr Hamilton, however, was not such a pushover and continued almost to deny any possibility, despite all these happenings which could not be explained in any other way.
This is not a dramatic book. In fact, it's quite scientific and unbiased. It is simply his search for evidence of life after death. I reckon he found it.
Recommended.
This review was first published on my blog.

Ribbonwork (New Crafts)
Ribbonwork (New Crafts)
by Christine Kingdom

5.0 out of 5 stars Ribbons were never so interesting!, 22 Jun. 2012
I got this from the library and now it's on my wishlist. This is a truly delightful book with beautiful photo's and clear instructions. The book is not confined to making flowers - weaving, little embroidered pictures and decorative touches of all lines are included. I love it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5