Profile for Big Bad Bill > Reviews

Content by Big Bad Bill

Big Bad Bill "Big Bad Bill" (Somwhere on the Celtic Fringe)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Manfrotto Advanced Shoulder Bag IV for Camera
Manfrotto Advanced Shoulder Bag IV for Camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Bag slightly let down by plastic fittings for strap., 25 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As it happens I was considering buying a small bag to supplement my large camera bag for trips that I would not be needing to swap lenses, so when this came up ion my vine list I was delighted. Manfrotto are famous for high quality tripods, and indeed I have one of their monopods. Recently every camera magazine seems to have an advert for Manfrotto bags on the back cover.

This bag is just the right size for my Nikon D3200 with the kit zoom or my recently bought Tamron 18-200mm zoom lens. It also has side compartments which will take a spare battery, memory card or a single filter. Inside has two removable dividers, but I needed to remove one to fit my camera. Saying that I feel it is roomy enough for a larger camera body and lens if that is what you have. It also comes with a wet weather cover.

Quality is slightly disappointing. It is closer in build quality to my Amazon Basics large camera kit bag than it is to the Lowe Pro bag I had for my old bridge camera. Still this is part of the lowest range of Manfrotto bags.

Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Macro Lens for Nikon
Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Macro Lens for Nikon

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 25 July 2014
I recently bought this lens for use on my Nikon D3200 while on holiday as I was finding carrying my kit bag with a selection of lenses literally a pain (Nikon 18-55, Nikon 35 and Tamron 70-300). Physically this lens is very compact. When at 18mm minus the supplied hood it is about the same length as the Nikon 18-55mm kit lens. This is handy for storage in bags etc (always have to remove my 70-300 before placing camera in bag).

In use the lens is fine, the AF works well but is noisy compared with the Nikon 18-55. Focus speed is fine in decent light. I have used the lens for insects and for landscapes. Despite the name this is not a Macro lens, even at 200mm as close as you can focus, you need to crop a lot to fill a picture with a butterfly for example. Luckily it is a sharp lens and with 24mp I can do this. At 18mm this lens does show considerable distortion, with very noticeably curved sea horizons for example. Photoshops camera raw plugin can correct this as it has a profile for this one fairly old lens.

Overall I am happy given the low price and the quality is good enough for me to carry this as my standard zoom rather than the Nikon 18-55, and it has great flexibility when travelling, avoiding needing to lug a selection of lenses.

Camera Cleaning Kit for Optical Lens and Digital SLR Cameras including 1 Double Sided Lens Cleaning Pen / 1 Empty Reusable Spray Bottle / 1 Lens Brush / 1 Air Blower / 4 Premium Microfibre Cleaning Cloths - Compatible with Most Cameras including Canon Rebel EOS, Nikon, Olympus, Sony Alpha NEX, Samsung NX & Fuji DSLR
Offered by ECO-FUSED UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good value., 29 Jun 2014
This kit works really well. The blower is just as good as branded ones which cost more than this entire kit. The microfibres cloths are good quality. Using this kit along with some lens cleaning fluid allowed me to clean my lenses and filters without dust or lint. Only reason for 4 rather than 5 stars is that the brush she'd hairs.

Braun Silk-épil 7 7569 - Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 6 Extras (Including Shaver Head and Trimmer Cap, Cleansing Brush for Face)

3.0 out of 5 stars Painful, 18 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Amazon Vine keeps offering me epilators despite the fact that I am a man and have no desire to have silky smooth legs. However on seeing mention of the face in this items product intro I decided to accept the offer. On recieving it I let my beard grow for a few days and then proceeded to use the epilator. It was agony. It felt like my face was being stung by a thousand wasps at once. However I persisted and cleared my entire beard using this device. By the end of the process I was nearly ready to collapse from the stree of the pain. Despite this I have to admit that my face was as smooth as a baby's bottom. Also it was nearly two weeks before I needed to shave again.

Was the pain worth it. In all honesty I would have to say no.

Goo.ey for Apple iPhone 5/5s (Aqua) - Skin
Goo.ey for Apple iPhone 5/5s (Aqua) - Skin

4.0 out of 5 stars This has proven to be very useful, 18 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I was offered this item on Vine I was far from sure that I would be able to find any use for it, but I was wrong. This sticks my phone to the smooth head board of my bed, allowing me to either listen to music from my phone without the danger of falling asleep and crushing it. I also keep it there to use as my alarm. A simple product that works well.

Finish Power and Pure Quantum (Pack of 1, Total 40 Tablets)
Finish Power and Pure Quantum (Pack of 1, Total 40 Tablets)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dish washer tablets, 18 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried a range of makes of dish washer tablets over the years and of all of these Finish seems to be the best. I therefore highly recommend this product.

Polaroid 52mm Macro Close Up 4 Piece Filter Kit with Case
Polaroid 52mm Macro Close Up 4 Piece Filter Kit with Case
Offered by Smart Shop UK

4.0 out of 5 stars These work well, 2 May 2014
If you are interested in macro photography and cannot afford to buy an actual macro-lens these these 'filters' offer you another much less expensive way forward. This 52mm set fits onto the kit zoom used by most lower end Nikon DSLR cameras and they allow you to focus much closer to the object than the lens alone can achieve. The sharpness of the image suffers slightly, especially with the strongest of these lenses attached, but even this one still produces quite acceptable images.

If you are a Nikon owner and are torn between buying the 35mm prime or the 40mm prime with macro, then I would suggest that you buy the 35mm which is a faster lighter lens and a set of these.

Hama Tripod Bag - Black
Hama Tripod Bag - Black
Offered by Hawks Photo Video

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally very good, 2 May 2014
I love long exposure photography and therefore I nearly always need to carry my tripod. This inexpensive tripod bag is a good fit for my Giottos Silkroad YTL9254 tripod and pan and tilt head. It is lightly padded and has an internal pocket ideal for carrying the tools supplied with the tripod. It has both hand handles and a shoulder strap. I have taken one star off because that strap is rather narrow and the fixings are cheap looking plastic. Still it allows me to carry my tripod much more comfortably than before.

The Friendly Swede Bundle of 2 Long Camera / Camcorder Neck Shoulder Straps Belt - Length Approximately 36" + Cleaning Cloth in Retail Packaging (Long - Multi-Color (Blue) + Black)
Offered by The Friendly Swede [UK]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, gret value, 2 May 2014
I ordered this set of longer camera straps to allow me to carry my camera diagonally across my body rather than around my neck. The added length of these straps allows this despite me being much larger than average. I am using the multicoloured strap which is very soft and comfortable. The quality is high with fixings being of exactly the same design as the Nikon strap supplied with my DSLR. I therefore have no worries about the security of my camera.

If I could make one suggestion to The Friendly Swede, it would be to produce the multicoloured strap with black ends that would not jar quite so much with the black camera body. However that is only a very mild criticism of this excellent product. I would also have liked the option of a pack of two funky straps rather than one funky and one plain.

I could not recommend this product highly enough!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2014 10:13 PM BST

The World's Great Wonders: How they were made & why they are amazing
The World's Great Wonders: How they were made & why they are amazing
by Lonely Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 1 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love travel, I love beautiful scenery and interesting historical sites. I also love photography and this book as it all. Covers some marvellous places, with great photos, and just enough information to wet your appetite to want to visit or at least do a bit of research.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20