Profile for S. C. JONES > Reviews

Content by S. C. JONES

S. C. JONES "Jonesy" (Leicestershire, U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Settle
Settle

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy from start to finish, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Settle (Audio CD)
Well, I'm a convert. Let me firstly state that this is an absolutely brilliant pop / house / garage LP from two extraordinarily talented brothers. Having said that, I only got into their music through osmosis. Zane Lowe's constant championing of the band allowed me to hear their glossy, shiny singles (i.e. the more commercial stuff) while cooking / cleaning in the evenings. I bought the album not exactly knowing what to expect, but it didn't - and still doesn't - let me down in any way. I can happily listen to it from start to finish and not skip a track. It's quite simple - there aren't layers and layers of sounds - but it's effective and catchy and the Lawrence brothers not only know how to write a song, they also have impeccable taste in guest vocalists. This is a great debut, but what's really exciting is I get the sense they could be like the Chemical Brothers or Orbital and produce classic album after classic album. Here's hoping ...

Kids Boys Girls Traditional Tweed Country Style Flat Cap Summer Winter Hat 54cm
Kids Boys Girls Traditional Tweed Country Style Flat Cap Summer Winter Hat 54cm
Offered by Top Brand Cosmetics UK Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars A stylish item, 5 May 2014
My son has worn this flat cap as a part of costumes for Victorian / WW2 days at school. My daughter sometimes wears this hat because it's very stylish and looks great.

Levi's Chambray Jacket Men's Jacket True Blue Small
Levi's Chambray Jacket Men's Jacket True Blue Small

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, 5 May 2014
I'm delighted with my jacket. It's very stylish and was extremely good value for money. I wouldn't use it on a cold day as it's too thin, but wear it on grey or windy days.

New UK Version Black Keyboard for Samsung E352 E452 P530 P580 R517 R523 R525 R528 R530 R538 R540 R618 R620 R719 R728 RV508 RV510 S3510 series laptop.
Offered by Racksoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, 5 May 2014
When the keyboard of my Samsung laptop started to fall apart, I bought this replacement. I'm not at all technical, but I found it easy to replace the old keyboard with the new one, and am very satisfied to have a full set of keys once more.

El Camino
El Camino

4.0 out of 5 stars The Big Sell Out?, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: El Camino (Audio CD)
El Camino is ...

1. A very good, commercial, pop rock album.
2. Much better than the overlong and unfocused 'Brothers'. 'El Camino' is a mean, lean eleven tracks and clocks in at less than forty minutes.
3. The work of three and not two men. Danger Mouse co-wrote all the songs with Dan and Pat, and his production work is really in-your-face and slick. This is not the sound of one guitarist/singer and one drummer captured on basic recording equipment.
4. A very long way from their early, raw, bluesy stuff. Whether you think that's a good thing or not is a personal matter.

Under the Ground (See Inside) (Usborne See Inside)
Under the Ground (See Inside) (Usborne See Inside)
by Alex Frith

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 5 Jan 2014
My six-year-old son has a number of these Usborne flap books, and all of them are high quality. The same goes for Usborne's encyclopedias, of which my son also has a few. The company really seems to strive to produce beautiful yet educational books.

'See Under the Ground' takes in a very interesting and wide ranging series of themes, starting with the different layers of rock and metal beneath the surface of the planet, moving on to the pipes and tunnels under streets and cities, and then the subterranean world of bugs and animals.

It's an excellent, informative, entertaining book.

Born to Die
Born to Die

2.0 out of 5 stars A Julee Cruise for our age, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Born to Die (Audio CD)
Somewhere in my house, gathering dust, I have a copy of 'Floating Into the Night', an album made by Julee Cruise in 1989. Or maybe I gave it to a charity shop. Whatever. It was a much hyped album, primarily because the mighty David Lynch wrote the lyrics, and contained three lovely songs: 'Falling', 'Rockin' Back Inside My Heart' and 'Mysteries of Love'. Seriously, younger readers, go and look for these three sumptuous songs on the Internet now. You'll be impressed. As for the other 70% of 'Floating Into the Night'? ... meh. Beautifully produced, beautifully sung, but instantly forgettable. All of which brings me to Lana Del Ray and her equally hyped album, equally beautifully produced, equally beautifully sung, with its handful of equally lovely songs and its equally forgettable 70%. Plus ca change, my friends, plus ca change ...

Mens SockShop Heat Holder Thermal Socks - 6-11 Mens - Black
Mens SockShop Heat Holder Thermal Socks - 6-11 Mens - Black
Offered by TEAM SOUTH WEST Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, 1 Jun 2013
I bought these thermal socks because a couple of winters ago I returned home from watching a football match to find the toenails of both big toes had turned partly black due to the subzero temperature (and it took well over a year for the discolouration to grow out). Anyway, there's no chance of my feet freezing again with these socks. They keep your feet as warm as toast and work extremely effectively. I recommend them without hesitation.

See Inside: Ships (Usborne See Inside)
See Inside: Ships (Usborne See Inside)
by Conrad Mason
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Praiseworthy, 1 Jun 2013
I have enthused about the 'See inside' series before in other Amazon reviews, and I'm going to do the same for this book. This is a well-written, well-illustrated history lesson, starting from the first methods people used to cross water, progressing through Ancient Greek triremes and eighteenth century warships, and ending up at modern aircraft carriers. It's educational, informative and interesting, and my son enjoys reading and looking at it very much.

FLOSO® Unisex Childrens/Kids Thermal Underwear Long Sleeve T-Shirt/Top (Chest: 28-30inch, 71-76 cm (Age 9-11)) (Charcoal)
Offered by Universal Textiles & Footwear

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 25 May 2013
I bought this T-shirt for my ten-year-old daughter when she goes camping with the Guides. She told me that it was very good and kept her warm.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6