ARRAY(0xae5ee750)

Profile for M. R. Willams > Reviews

Content by M. R. Willams

M. R. Willams (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Kiss Each Other Clean [VINYL]
Kiss Each Other Clean [VINYL]
Offered by nagiry
Price: 14.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Shattered expectations, 2 Mar 2011
I wasn't expecting alot from this album. I had heard alot about Beam moving even further away for his lo-fi sound I fell in love with than he did even with Shephard's Dog. It's true - there is a large expansive big band sound on the album but somehow this doesn't destroy Beam's ethereal vocals and vision - it enhances it. The beautiful musicality of sections of this album are as evocative in their own way as the simple acoustic melodies of Beam's earlier work.

Highly recommended. Listen through twice and you'll be hooked.

An ESL Teacher's Handbook For South Korea: What The Recruiter Probably Never Told You
by Professor Paul R Friesen
Price: 7.88

1.0 out of 5 stars At 4, not a bargain, 16 Feb 2009
I am currently considering going to teach English in South Korea for a year, and as such am reading any book or article I can on the subject to get a good idea of what I can expect. When I found this book on amazon I was pleased, as there really is a dearth of any material at all on Korea, and it was very cheap.

I would not recommend this book however. It contains almost no information of any value whatsoever. It has a tiny (just a few pages!) section supposedly covering all you need to know about the culture, people, transportaion, your job (covering barely 1 page) and the rest of the book is taken up by an awful "play" attempting to bring up issues you might face in an aledgedly humorous manner.

Furthermore, it is appalingly written. There are spelling and grammar mistakes on virtually every page. And I mean really really bad grammar mistakes. The author purports to be a Professor. I sincerely doubt it.

I hate to leave such a one-sided review, but I really can't think of anything to recommend the book - other than its price. It is cheap, and it is more or less on its own in its target market. If you really want to glean the few bits of sparse information you can from this book, you haven't lost too much with the 4 price tag. But I wouldn't recommend it. Better information is around and for free on the internet.