Profile for ricardo > Reviews

Content by ricardo

ricardo (edinburgh)

Page: 1 | 2
Dark Intelligence: Transformation: Book One (Transformation Novel 1)
Dark Intelligence: Transformation: Book One (Transformation Novel 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars not his best, again re-working 'old stories', 3 Dec. 2015
not his best, again re-working 'old stories', but still better than most else out there, by a mile - enjoy

X-Mini II 2nd Generation Capsule Speaker with 3.5mm Jack Compatible with iPhone/iPad/iPod/Smartphones/Tablets/MP3 Player/Laptop - Black
Offered by Gadget_Juice

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad for price but paying a bit more for a better one would be best, 3 Dec. 2015
it's not the same 'model' as widely advertised elsewhere, at much higher prices, a lot more 'limited' and mine doesn't quite fit together properly(it did arrive with crushed packaging, but still works OK and not worth bothering for a refund/replacement; it was only a tenner, and 'you get what you pay for'), but saying that - really good sound for what it is and size; and especially the price - it'll certainly be good enough to take on holiday , and cheap enough to not care if lost/broken. However, I think in future, I'd better paying £60-70 for a decent Bluetooth one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2015 6:11 PM GMT

Celsius 7/7
Celsius 7/7
by Rt Hon Michael Gove MP

1.0 out of 5 stars hard to believe, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Celsius 7/7 (Hardcover)
This is utter garbage! Though it does show just how far removed from reality Michael Gove is. He shows no understanding of the issues involved at even the most basic levels - let's just hope he never gets a chance to sprout his evil twisted interpretation in any position of power - just imagine the damage he could do if allowed near something important like education.

Valkyrie Burning (On Silver Wings Book 3)
Valkyrie Burning (On Silver Wings Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars cracking wee book, 12 Jan. 2014
I'd never heard of Evan Currie before I saw it pop up as a random seggestion for my kindle, and very cheap, loving it, and now working my way through everything he's written

Valkyrie Rising (On Silver Wings Book 2)
Valkyrie Rising (On Silver Wings Book 2)

On Silver Wings
On Silver Wings

5.0 out of 5 stars cracking wee book, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: On Silver Wings (Kindle Edition)

Jupiter War (Owner Trilogy Book 3)
Jupiter War (Owner Trilogy Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars good? nay bad but find myself still missing the Polity, 25 Nov. 2013
So, 3rd book of the Owner series finished - like many I struggled a bit with the first one, found myself getting into the second one much more and have slightly fizzled out with the third - like many trilogies it ended the 'series, but didn't quite satisfy so as to leave room open for future stories - loads of options left open for more sequels and spin-offs - what would I like (if you're reading Neal) perhaps 50 years on for Saul (and his backed up and enhanced 'crew') when he hits the first alien populated star etc; 50 years also the rough period he guessed for 'Earth' to gain an 'interstellar' drive capability again so maybe room for conflicting 'human species' spreading out amongst the stars.
There would also be the scope for the Protectors and himself to develop into AI's etc; There were obviously future scenarios explored briefly in the Engineer Reconditioned etc (though I haven't yet gone back and re-read them - the book is buried somewhere - I'll find it or buy the Kindle version - why can't you buy a 'hard copy and get the digital version included? Most annoying!). So a whole new 'Universe' to explore? why not; though like every Asher fan I'm sure we'd love a bit more BrassMan/Cormac; again, perhaps a couple of hundred years in the future; and Prador and Jain - still plenty of room for spin-offs I think, though I can easily forgive Neal for wanting to do something different for a while.
So, verdict? if you're a Asher fan, read and stick with them - not as easily & enjoyably digestible as the Polity books - not really any pleasant characters for a start; but no doubt the 'start' of the next universe so get stuck in and wait for the next, with Banks gone, (Richard) Morgan seemingly moving into fantasy stuff, and Hamilton doing, annoying near future stuff - who else are we going to read ;-)

righy ho, have now re-read the 3 Owner stories in the Engineer, a few links but not many, them being set 10,000 years in the future from this series, but enough to show links betwen the Polity are there; so Neal, I gave you a couple ideas, get writing! (oh, and can I have free copies for the dieas et when you write them up - ta)

Snuff: (Discworld Novel 39) (Discworld Novels)
Snuff: (Discworld Novel 39) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett

1.0 out of 5 stars please stop writing Terry, 22 Jan. 2013
I loved your earlier books, the Witch, Watch etc stories, not forgetting the totally brilliant Small Gods, and some later ones like Thief of Time, and Going Postal are sublime, but I'm afraid that either your illness is affecting your abilities, or you've grown bored with the characters of Disc World and are just churning them out now. Either way, plese stop publishing rubbish like this; it's just not worthy of your 'name' or reputation.
If you like/love Pratchett, don't read this, it'll ruin the memories you have of his previously briliant wit, timing and word-smithery - this is like poor fan fiction copying his characters and 'world'.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2014 12:30 PM BST

The Quantum Thief
The Quantum Thief
by Hannu Rajaniemi

3.0 out of 5 stars misleading reviews - could be a lot better, 4 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Quantum Thief (Paperback)
Like a lot of folk reviewing this I bought this on the back of the rave reviews from 'respected sources', but I'm afraid it just doesn't stand up to the 'instant classic' label it appeared to gain.
While there are some interesting ideas, and some good writing,Hannu Rajaniemi
just doesn't do enough to justify the praise it garnered.
What it lacks is clearness in what we're reading - the world Rajaniemi creates is just not clear - at no stage through reading it was I sure what was actually going on beyond the obvious plot; and that seriously affects the story.
There clearly has to be at least one sequel as the story was left hanging (and there are some sections that have nothing to do with the story at all - obviously there to set something up in a later book); lets hope at the start of part two he gives an introduction explaining the world he has sought to create/set the book in is, not just leave readers to create their own from the vague clues given.

The Orphaned Worlds (Humanity's Fire, Book 2)
The Orphaned Worlds (Humanity's Fire, Book 2)
by Michael Cobley

2.0 out of 5 stars losing the plot, 6 July 2010
Mmmmm, Seeds of Earth wasn't too bad, though hardly worthy Iain Bank's 'review' (or the Guardian one I bought it on the back of), and I'd hoped Cobley would have settled down a bit in this one, but it's just too disjointed, the characters are one dimensional, retro explaining missing sections just doesn't seem to work, and whenever the various plot sections are geting a bit boring, he just adds another plot line. Don't get me wrong, this is not really, really bad, but it's more Elizabeth Moon (I just couldn't be bothered by the last part of Vatta's War) than Banks, Asher or Hamilton for space opera or anywhere near Morgan for SF; lets just hope the third part is better - this has good potential, but could do with some decent structure and editing, and in some parts, I'm afraid to say, a second draft/rewrite would not have gone amiss.
Perhaps he could re-issue the trilogy when it's finished as a cut down single volume?
Sorry Michael, when I write my galatic busting mega novel, I'll send it to you for first digs, but until then, you've just got me saying, "I could have enjoyed this a lot more if you'd....."
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2010 12:14 PM BST