Profile for Miss M > Reviews

Miss M (Midlands, UK)

Short and Sweet
Short and Sweet
by Dan Lepard

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best baking books I own - it surpasses any other ..., 16 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Short and Sweet (Hardcover)
This is one of the best baking books I own - it surpasses any other so far and I have many! Every recipe I have tried has turned out very well. I keep returning to Dan's book as I know that I can trust his recipes 100%. His lemon tart is amazing. I love the varied recipes - some classics but there are a lot that are 'different' to what I have come across in other baking books, which is nice because I know that if I choose something from his book then it's going to be a little different to what people are usually used to. I like the layout and the indexes, I even like the cover and the overall look of the book - some people have complained about the quality but I don't see the problem (unless they have faulty ones?).

Pastry
Pastry
by Richard Bertinet

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought I knew about pastry and until I read this book!, 25 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Pastry (Hardcover)
I spent two days with Richard in a class at his cookery school in Bath and just prior to that I bought his book Pastry. I can now make beautiful pastry with little effort. Richard has taught me how to make the crispiest & flakiest pastry ever with no soggy bottoms! His techniques are simple yet effective. For years I have read cookery books and watched endless programmes of top chefs and cooks supposedly telling you how to make the best pastry. Richard informs you of the best butter to use, how to soften it without getting it warm, how to flake into the flour (and no you don't rub it until it dissapears and forms tiny breadcrumbs like most chefs tell you to do!) I like his down to earth approach and he makes things seem so easy, which they are! The book is full of tips and useful information, together with beautiful pictures (and one for every recipe which is great to see what the finished product should look like). My creations look exactly the same as the photos in his book. The doughnuts are divine. The apple tarts are amazing. The fruit tartlets look like they should be in a French pattiserie window! Buy this book and you'll never be afraid of making pastry. I recommend his cookery classes but the book itself teaches everything you need to know.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2012 12:49 PM BST

Dough
Dough
by Richard Bertinet

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing bread!, 6 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Dough (Paperback)
I have been making bread for a few years now and I have been using my Kitchen Aid to knead the dough as it does take out a lot of the hard work, plus you can get on with other things whilst the Kitchen Aid is doing it's stuff. My bread in the past had been good but........I have just discovered Richard Bertinet!! I bought this book because I was looking for some inspiration to improve my bread making and I saw all the good reviews. I have also bought Paul Hollywood's 100 Great Breads for the same inspiration but it didn't happen. I am overjoyed to discover Richard, his method of kneading has revolutionised my bread making. This is a fantastic book, lovely pictures and yes my bread looks like his does in his photos! He says to try and use fresh yeast if you can which I sometimes do but you can also use dried and get the same effect, it's no problem. You can buy fresh yeast direct from The Bertinet Kitchen (web site). My kitchen aid has now become redundant for kneading dough. Once you get a rythym going for his kneading technique you are well away and it's not difficult or strenuous, it's enjoyable. What a great idea he had to include a DVD which shows the technique he uses - with close up shots too so you really see how the dough changes even after just a few minutes of kneading. The dough is so elastic when you are finished and full of air. It is the best bread I have ever made and tastes delicious! The book is worth every penny and I urge you to buy it. I have also bought 'Crust' which (in my opinion) is an extension of 'Dough', quite similar but has different recipes in it and also a great book. The two books go together and Crust is definitely worth buying too. I am so glad Richard has shared his bread making tips with us all, unlike many other chefs/bakers (naming no names!) that seem to keep things secret. I have now become obsessed with bread making and it's all down to Richard!

100 Great Breads: The Original Bestseller
100 Great Breads: The Original Bestseller
by Paul Hollywood

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but a bit disappointing, 16 Jan. 2012
This is not the best bread making book. Paul Hollywood goes to great lengths on TV to explain and emphasise the importance of kneading / the use of yeast yet this books lacks the flair I was hoping for from this famous baker. His recipe for Foccacia (and there are several of them!) differs to that of the recipe found on the web under his own signature - and I mean the quantities of water etc, not flavoured ingredients. It's confusing especially when he makes such a big deal of it on the TV series - Great British Bake off. How can he change his mind on the quantities of water needed to make the same bread recipe?! It mentions nothing in the book of the dough being "hard to handle" and very wet. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it. No trace of one single recipe for Sourdough which I found very surprising seeing as it is so popular now. And yes I agree with the previous reviewer- there are too many 'other recipes' not really related to bread or dough. I would have thought he would have at least included his recipe for his famous iced fingers which are delicious, but no, it cannot be found in the book. This book is ok but just not the best. There are definitely better bread making books out there (try Dan Stevens - River Cottage for example) Shop around and buy this only if it's at a bargain price.