Profile for I. Behlim > Reviews

Content by I. Behlim

I. Behlim "maverikkcom" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Five Weapons: Make the Grade TP
Five Weapons: Make the Grade TP
by Jimmie Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and something different., 22 May 2014
Image are smashing up the comic scene with hit title after hit title. This is about a high school for kids training to be assassins. Smart , funny and entertaining!

Nowhere Men Volume 1: Fates Worse Than Death TP
Nowhere Men Volume 1: Fates Worse Than Death TP
by Eric Stephenson

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb! This is right up my teleporter, 22 May 2014
Starts off normal enough, 4 famous and brilliant scientists put their minds together in an idealistic bid to change the world...then the cracks start to appear. Mind-blowing science fiction in the vein of Stanley Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Alan Moore et al. This is dark, challenging and interesting work. Try it if you dare!

Obsessed
Obsessed

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable that this music was made so long ago..., 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Obsessed (MP3 Download)
Please listen to this and you'll hear the early making of dubstep, jungle, intelligent drum n bass and many more new genres. This song is timeless and hats off to the chaps at Acen who created such musicality from such rudimentary instruments. For this who say electronic music is cheap and easy...listen to this!

Tangled (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [Region Free]
Tangled (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Nathan Greno
Offered by THE PERFECT CHOICE

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Disney tales..., 17 Mar. 2014
I had seen all the ads and though this film skewed towards a female audience but have to say its excellent. Very entertaining, looks stunning and sound fantastic. Little know fact that it's one of the most expensive films ever made! But it now!

The Source
The Source

5.0 out of 5 stars The original and the best!, 12 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Source (Audio CD)
When I was a kid back in the early 80's, I heard a few rap/hip-hop tracks but this was the first album I was given. I bought a blank C60 tape and gave it to my friend Simon. Unfortunately Simon passed away at a very young age in a car accident - not even 13 - but I remember this album vividly as it was in essence the first album I had. Thanks Simon Northend, wherever you are.

Still sounds so fresh and varied compared to the modern albums. These guys were the true innovators and everything on here is produced with blood, sweat and funk. The lyrics are effortless, the rhythms are funky, organic and the whole thing is danceable and infectious even today.

The posturing and posing in those days were all metaphorical not like those crass wannabe gangsters like Kanye West and such fools who care of nothing but material possessions, guns, violence and status.

Buy this album if you want a slice of what rap music is really all about.

The Manhattan Projects Volume 2 TP
The Manhattan Projects Volume 2 TP
by Jonathan Hickman

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as Volume 1 and can't wait to read more!, 27 Aug. 2013
If you haven't read these books yet and you are into to science fiction graphic novels, this is definitely one to get. The story centres around some of the most progressive scientists who changed the world and pushed the boundaries of science for good or bad. Oppenheimer, Einstein, Richard Feynman, Enrico Fermi and many others.

This tells the story of the kind of disturbing things these guys did in the name of the cold war. The story arc follows through from the first book with individual cases punctuating the narrative. With a little bit of googling you should be able to keep up to pace with the story and characters and 'get' some of the historical references as they add to the characters and the sense of setting.

I didn't find the narrative difficult to follow and anyone who likes to read and even a flimsy grasp on history, as I have, will enjoy the dark tale of what men will do to elevate themselves to gods and the thin line between genius and madness.

The Trilogy
The Trilogy

5.0 out of 5 stars Along with Janelle Monae - best R&B album of the last 10 years, 24 July 2013
This review is from: The Trilogy (Audio CD)
I was a massive fan of R&B, from some great commercial artists (Destiny's Child, Donnell Jones, Mary J Blige) to the more lesser known (Mona Lisa, JazzyFatNastees, Amerie) and the more serious (D'Angelo, Maxwell & Jill Scott).

For a while I fell out of love with R&B as everything sounded so contrived and there was nothing fresh happening but then one or two artists would always get me excited at the possibilities of the much maligned genre.

I loved Janelle Monae's audaciously funky 2011 ArchAndroid album. Raw and unfettered by commercial viability, it changed the scene for a lot of artists.

But one album I never saw coming was The Weeknd's Trilogy. I came to this album fresh and saw it in a top 10 list of albums. Never having heard of The Weeknd I was very skeptical - back in the day an R&B album on more than one CD was either a naff compilation with a lot of filler or a bootleg!

After the first listen of the first disc a few songs struck out immediately as fresh, soulful and exciting. House Of Balloons/Glass Tables is just daring, brash and sublime enough to be the best track on the album and sets the tone at which The Weeknd works.

On first listen the lyrics can sound a little immature and gratuitous with profanity. But this is one of those albums that grows on you with each listen and becomes so listenable that you appreciate the cockiness this young man has from the sheer musicality, vocal talents and lyrics. As he says `He's only 21...' but he is the best R&B artist out there right now.

This is a permanent fixture in my iPhone/iPod and CD Players at home as it is so varied and beautiful. I would have it on in the car too but the profanity ain't for my young kids ears!

Best tracks:
XO/The Host
Initiation
Same Old Song
The Fall
Till Dawn (Here Comes The Sun)

I urge you to buy, not from amazon £15 - other sellers have it for around £7 - asap! You will not be disappointed.

I hate people doing Michael Jackson covers but even there Weeknd's cover of Dirty Diana - D.D. - is exceptional.

Sexy , soulful, smart, modern, Maxwell, D'Angelo, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Otis Redding....if you like any of this stuff you will love this album and I would certainly put this fellow up there but probably more prolific than many of these R&B legends...

Return of the Dapper Men
Return of the Dapper Men
by Jim McCann

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-rated and not the best book of the year by any reach of the imagination, 28 Jun. 2013
I love graphic novels. Whether they be some progressive thinking from Moore/Ellis, noir grit and crime from Brubaker/Busiek, superheroes from Marvel/DC or the Verigo and indie humour and oddities. I'd heard the hype surroundings this book and everyone banging on about the 'whimsy' and beautiful art work.

I couldn't disagree more! It's written by someone who obviously think their banal statements are profound and the artwork is a shabby knock-off of Jamie And The Magic Torch. I'm the type of reader where once a graphic novel grips me I'll finish it on my daily commute but I just found this hard work and boring!

It's like the writer has thought he would become some sort of canonic mainstay in the fantasy genre occupied by Wizard Of Oz, His Dark Materials and the like but has just pulled out a contrived and boring story that disappears up its own spine. I deplore you to ignore this and spend money on something else. Take a punt on one of these titles instead and I'll guarantee you'll be rewarded: Chew, Unwritten, Manhattan Projects, Saga, Morning Glories...there is so much good stuff out there so don't believe the hype!

Hotel Transylvania (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012]
Hotel Transylvania (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012]
Dvd ~ Adam Sandler

5.0 out of 5 stars A great surprise and a good alternative to the hit and miss Disney/Pixar machine, 14 Mar. 2013
My wife, three year old son and I went to the local Cineworld on a £1 Saturday morning Kids Club deal. This was the only film besides Madagascar 3 - which we had seen previously - so we went in expecting mediocrity. How surprised we were when it turned out to be one of the funniest, smartest and entertaining films of the year!

The characters are funny and well drawn out - the secondary characters (Werewolf, Frankenstein and Hunchback in particular) really add richness to the narrative. The story is clever and the voice-acting excellent. A lot of people knock Adam Sandler but he does what he does and entertains people. In this film he turn in his best role since Funny People, Punch-Drunk Love. He's excellent as Dracula as is Andy Samberg as the optimistic hitchhiker Jonathan.

This is up there with the alternative funny films that best Pixar/Disney offerings: Kung Fu Panda, MegaMind, Despicable Me etc.

A great film, very funny and a lot of fun!

Marvel's Avengers Assemble [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Marvel's Avengers Assemble [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr.
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the geeks - this is a great film and great blu ray, 14 Dec. 2012
I don't think I've ever watched the extra features on a blu-ray or dvd. They really don't interest me unless it's an exceptional film like the LOTR trilogy but even then I just about have enough time for watching the main feature let alone extras. Great film, great acting and beautiful blu ray transfer. Geeks shut up and let people enjoy themselves!

Page: 1 | 2