Profile for misha > Reviews

Farewell My Concubine [All Region] [import]
Dvd ~ Li Gong
Offered by MagicoClassicMovies

5.0 out of 5 stars A tale that haunts your dreams.., 30 May 2014
A beautiful and haunting love story - a childhood love that never fails. This is a beautiful scripted, beautifully acted piece of work. I saw it many years ago and it haunted my memory. From the awfulness of their upbringing - the cruelty and abuse - two young actors become the stars of classical Chinese theatre. It is one of the most sensitive explorations of the meaning of gender and gay love and the tragic outcomes that arise from absence of choice. It goes to places that 'La Vie En Rose' never touched. I would say more but I will spoil the story. Interwoven with their lives are the political traumas of an awakening state - China's revulsion at the past, and eventually its embracing of its culture in the Cultural Revolution. There is politics, colour, noise, love and performing arts. What's not to like but there are no cheesy endings here.

BBC Folk Awards 2013
BBC Folk Awards 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly good buy., 30 May 2014
This review is from: BBC Folk Awards 2013 (Audio CD)
Whatever style of folk they have it here from acoustic to 'rock' such as 'Bellowhead'. A wonderful modern folk taster and a truly good buy. Three CDs with something for everyone. Each CD keeps the quality.

Tous Les Matins Du Monde (2pc) [DVD] [1991] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Tous Les Matins Du Monde (2pc) [DVD] [1991] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Gérard Depardieu
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry in action, 30 May 2014
One of the most beautiful and memorable and deeply reflective movies - my favourite next to 'Farewell my Concubine'. Wonderful performances: a film about the passion and obsession of music and artistry - dark and light - music that would raise the dead. A profound and lovely film.

Pilot FriXion Ball Erasable Gel Pen, Fine Point, 8-Pack Pouch, Black/Blue/Red/Pink/Purple/Orange/Lime/Brown Inks (31569)
Offered by Stuff 4 Crafts

5.0 out of 5 stars Super present, 12 April 2014
I bought this for a gift and they were very happily received. The colours are good and they are as good as they were supposed to be. Kids at school have a real craze for these at present and the erasable caps are very popular.

Ty Iwako Eraserz Forest Animals Set - Style and Colors vary
Ty Iwako Eraserz Forest Animals Set - Style and Colors vary

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe they're erasers, 24 Mar 2014
Pretty, petite and colourful and beautifully made. No wonder the kids love these erasers. Their practical use is just an excuse - they're adorable, collectable and just good fun.

Safari Animals Iwako erasers set 8 pieces from Japan
Safari Animals Iwako erasers set 8 pieces from Japan
Offered by PartyErasers

5.0 out of 5 stars Just gorgeous, 24 Mar 2014
These petite and beautifully made little erasers are delightful. Whether for practical use or for collection because they're 'cute', anyone could enjoy them. I was extremely happy with the quality, colourful presentation and detail that went into the production of them. They were a gift and the recipient is pleased to bits.

uni-ball Fanthom Assorted Colour Rollerball Eraseable Gel Ink Pen (Pack of 8)
uni-ball Fanthom Assorted Colour Rollerball Eraseable Gel Ink Pen (Pack of 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another school craze, 24 Mar 2014
This was a gift and the recipient was delighted. Remember those crazes we all had at school from yo-yos to 'clacking balls' suspended on strings? Well, these rubber top gel pens are more practical than most. Promptly delivered and everything they say on the package. Can't say more. Thank you.

Matt Monro - The Singer's Singer
Matt Monro - The Singer's Singer

5.0 out of 5 stars Matt with a shine!, 8 Jan 2014
Suitably entitled the Singer's singer, I used to enjoy seeing Mr Monro in the local shows - he had quite a big name when I was younger and I am glad that then, as now, I appreciate his perfect presentation of a song. There is not a wrong note in any of these four CDs and whilst many people might consider it too retro for them, I am sure they would enjoy and admire one of the finest singers of his age. It is very easy listening.

The Best Of - Give Me The Moonlight
The Best Of - Give Me The Moonlight

5.0 out of 5 stars Moonlight with a shine, 8 Jan 2014
I appreciate that younger customers may have no real knowledge or memory of the wonderful 'Mr Entertainment', Frankie Vaughan. However, I heard a lot of his music on radio and TV when only a child; and from family members who were real fans (including dad's cousin who had a howling crush on him). I saw him 'live' in the local theatres and he was always and ever a consummate artiste and professional with a great reputation as a family man. This album brought back many happy memories and the title song 'Give me the moonlight' has a special sentimentality for me. Enough said. Give me the moonlight, give me these songs and the rest will be pure musical enjoyment.

The Ghost Breakers / Cat And The Canary [DVD]
The Ghost Breakers / Cat And The Canary [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bob Hope

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as I remember it.., 2 Aug 2013
Both these movies are as good as I remember them from many years ago - the wise-cracking, cowardly over romantic Bob Hope goes headlong into trouble at the flicker of an eyelash from a lovely lady. The Ghost breakers is of good quality but I think the Cat and the Canary - affectionately as I recollect it - could well do with a digital remaster. The storylines are funny and suspenseful and manage to be quite scary at times. Of course, it all ends well - good triumphs, love reigns supreme and Bob Hope one-lines himself straight into the leading lady's arms. Very enjoyable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3