Profile for Eddie Bonner > Reviews

Eddie Bonner

BillyOh Prestige 2 Seater Wooden Garden Bench
BillyOh Prestige 2 Seater Wooden Garden Bench

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 20 Aug 2013
I bought the seat as a wedding gift for my sister last year and was initially very pleased with both the delivery service and the product. However, having recently visited my sister I was disappointed to see that the furthest slat forward that the knee would fold against was split and splintered, my sister pointed out that although they had kept it inside over the winter the splitting occurred earlier in the summer when the sun came out even though they had treated it!!
In summary, a great looking product, top delivery service but it would appear that the product is not best kept in the garden as it not very hardy. Which is a shame as it was just shy of £100.

The Road Between Us
The Road Between Us
by Nigel Farndale

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Farndale Book Yet, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Road Between Us (Hardcover)
I've followed Farndale's career with interest since he started writing for the Telegraph and have found his fictional work improving from novel to novel. This is, in my opinion, his best yet.

This novel combines the narrative power and darkness of a thriller with the intelligence and elegant writing of a literary novel. It moves between past and present seamlessly. And it does something which I didn't think was possible: finds something new to say about the concentration camps. I was gripped and moved from beginning to end, twice missing my tube stop I was so engrossed!

A spanking good read I can't wait for his next....

The Blasphemer
The Blasphemer
by Nigel Farndale

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superior Read, 26 July 2011
This review is from: The Blasphemer (Paperback)
Over the years of reading a couple of books a week on the commute into work, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a book that is both original and a page turner. This one fits the bill on both counts.
I was engrossed from beginning to end and found the scene with the plane 'accident' so well written that I felt I had actually witnessed the scene.
Though Farndale's first novel was something of a hard slog to get through, his latest is an excellent effort and I have had no problem recommending it to others.

Don't Shoot - I'm Not Well: Confidence for when you really need it
Don't Shoot - I'm Not Well: Confidence for when you really need it
by SeŠn Brickell

2.0 out of 5 stars The Turkey Twizzler of Self Help Books, 14 Mar 2011
I recently received this book as my late secret Santa present - I had previously been under the impression that I was a popular member of the team, how wrong I was!!

I am giving this review two stars for the inspirational stories of individuals who have overcome adversity in their lives. I have to pay my respects to their courage as without these stories this book would only merit one star.

I had been under the impression that if you read the phrase "research shows that.." then you should cite that research. Simply stating " research shows that.." does not lend credibility to discussion unless you quote your source.

This is at best a passable attempt at imparting self help, it feels like the author would be better at short magazine articles rather than writing a book with solid references using peer reviewed research. I cannot share the enthusiasm of the two previous reviewers whose generous scores should help boost the confidence of the author.