Profile for Mr. R. Williams > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. Williams

Mr. R. Williams (Twickenham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Kindle Paperwhite (6th generation), 6" High Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars It's great in that it does exactly what it claims to ..., 3 Feb. 2015
It's great in that it does exactly what it claims to do and exactly what I want it to do. I bought it as a replacement for an original-style Kindle that I bought more or less as soon as they came on the market. Main improvement from my perspective is being able to read it with the bedroom light off and so not disturbing my wife. She can do exactly the same for me because she up-graded to the Paperwhite as well when she saw mine.

Storytone (Deluxe Version)
Storytone (Deluxe Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like NY, it's for you, 14 Nov. 2014
I accept thatI am perhaps biased as a Neil Young obsessive and completist. However, this one had a bit of a panning from some of the professional critics. They are wrong, all of 'em. It's a restrained selection but thoughtful. To me it's a very strong selection. If you like NY, it's for you.

Fujifilm X-S1 Digital Camera (12MP, 26x Optical Zoom) 3 inch Tiltable LCD Screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Got this at a very good price and it was at my front-door within about ..., 20 Aug. 2014
Got this at a very good price and it was at my front-door within about 12 hours of placing the order.

My health is not what it was, so I can no longer heave around a rucksack with full SLR kit (two camera bodies, four lenses and a large flash gun). So I needed something lighter and this pretty well fills the need. A little prone to shake at long focal length compared to my older kit but stays nice and steady with a monopod. Very pleased to have bought it.

Inform Educate Entertain
Inform Educate Entertain

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Aug. 2014
Barmy and left-field and great fun.

Pommery Firemen's Mostarda 250 g
Pommery Firemen's Mostarda 250 g
Offered by Cocoa Rico

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Aug. 2014
Best mustard in the known Universe.

A Letter Home
A Letter Home

5.0 out of 5 stars I love everything that NY does, 20 Aug. 2014
This review is from: A Letter Home (Audio CD)
But I am probably not really objective, I love everything that NY does. Probably for obsessives only.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2016 3:49 AM GMT

The Complete Works of Winston Churchill
The Complete Works of Winston Churchill

1.0 out of 5 stars like others, I fell into a silly trap by ..., 20 Aug. 2014
Yep, like others, I fell into a silly trap by not thinking before buying. It's not by the "real" Churchill but by someone of the same name. Let that be a lesson to me!

Le Creuset Wine Accessories WT-110W Waiters Corkscrew - Wood
Le Creuset Wine Accessories WT-110W Waiters Corkscrew - Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nicely designed., 20 Aug. 2014
OK, a corkscrew is just a corkscrew and its never going to change the world. Bit more costly than one you'd buy from Tesco or down the off-licence, but worth every penny. Really nicely designed.

The Royal Hunt Of The Sun [1969] [DVD]
The Royal Hunt Of The Sun [1969] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Shaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 29 Jun. 2011
I agree with an earlier reviewer that the vision and sound quality of this is more appropriate to a 1960s B movie. But look through all that and what you have is a splendid piece of drama that is a reasonable historic interpretation. And this is certainly not a B movie.

More importantly perhaps, it shows that real acting works every time.

I read a review on another site recently saying that this is a truly dreadful film. I can only assume that the person who wrote that thinks that a good film is something involving Bruce and Arnie shouting a lot, chopping off lots of heads and leading a horde of CGI warriors.

The film has a whole set of sub-themes: conflict and rivalry amongst the Spaniards, absolute failures of cultures to understand other cultures and the empathy between the Inca and Pizzaro based on their shared illegetimacy. Some of these themes do not reflect the reality of the events, and Pizzaro certainly did not spend an evening hoping that the Inca would arise like a latter-day Christ.

Full 100% accuracy of history is not always essential if the purpose of the presentation is to capture the meaning and spirit of the "true" story. This film does that superbly.

Like I said, buy it. But can we have it remastered?

Morning Way ... Plus
Morning Way ... Plus
Offered by EliteDigital UK

3.0 out of 5 stars A What If...., 27 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Morning Way ... Plus (Audio CD)
I regret that I didn't buy tickets to see Trader Horne in 1970 when I had the chance. I think that this CD gives a picture of a missed opportunity. From what I can gather Judy Dyble and the other guy had a falling out when they had started recording a second album, one or two tracks from those sessions make it onto this compilation.

Judy's voice here is clearly better developed than it was on the early Fairport work.

Some (not all) of the lyrics can feel a little too twee at times; but overall both performers were clearly developing good qualities as lyricists.

Had the second album actually come about, I think there is a fair chance that the duo could have been regarded with same fondness as people such as Fairport Convention and the Incredible String Band.

Page: 1 | 2