Profile for Mr. Guy J. Thomas > Reviews

Master of Boards Stainless Steel Magnetic Memo Board - Monaco - 35x50cm
Master of Boards Stainless Steel Magnetic Memo Board - Monaco - 35x50cm
Offered by Home and Office

3.0 out of 5 stars Truthful Review ..., 15 July 2014
Ok, nice looking but there are to my mind some negatives that you prospective buyers really need to be aware of.

Manufacturers of these products tend to assume we all have solid walls. Most of us in new build houses will likely have plasterboard walls so the fixings supplied will not be suitable.

I bought some hollow wall fixings from THE most recognised DIY store that we all know. However, the screw heads were just slightly too large for the hanging slots in the back of the board. I tried opening the holes out with a drill bit as best I could and thought I had managed to hang the board succesfully.. I hadnt .... the board was simlpy resting on the screw heads and seconds later crashed to the floor taking two chunks out of the skirting board as it went. So, in sorting one job .... I have inadvertantly given myself another.
The board looks the part in our new kitchen but does show finger marks and unless your prise the tabs of the pen and note holder out slightly before applying to the board, you will risk marking the painted surface should you wish to reposition at a later time....
Overall, rather expensive and these negatives for me coupled with the annoyance of the skirting board damage have not made for a simple install or a 5 star review. However, this memo board is to my mind better than anything else I could find on the market. So, I would buy again but would have appreciated reading this review before-hand!

January 2015 : after only 6 months, the welds that connect the pen to the memo holder have failed...now held on with blue tack!

The Killing - Series 3 [DVD]
The Killing - Series 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sofie Gråbøl

3.0 out of 5 stars Killed the Killing?, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Killing - Series 3 [DVD] (DVD)
Enjoyed the first two seasons, but like many before me found this to be too repetitive.
The story lines of this and the first season are similar in so many areas.
Not least the machinations of the political parties once again fighting and falling out, then good-friends again etc.

It is dark and brooding with that haunting music once again which are the main plus points for me - but I felt that perhaps they hadnt explored opportunities that could have made this third and final series that much more memorable. The acting was good, the script fine but I couldnt help thinking they had reacted rather impulsively to get a third season filmed with little consideration for the threads of a plot more distant to that of season one.
The conclusion too was weak almost like they had run out of ideas. A real shame, started so well.

Lone Star Super Cowboy 12 Shot Pistol
Lone Star Super Cowboy 12 Shot Pistol
Offered by Midco Toys Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks the part - BUT, a flawed design..., 24 April 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
I purchased this 12 shot 'plastic-ring' type cap gun in preference to the old paper cap gun of old figuring that my 5 yr old would be able to replace the plastic cap ring much easier than messing about trying to feed the paper cap rolls into the gun which I remember from my youth.
So, I purchased 10 packets of caps and this pistol only to find that when the caps are 'spent', getting the cap ring - which has been hammered into position in the barrel is quite fiddly to remove.

I found the most expedient way is to use a knife(!) to lift the ring around the circumference in order to remove in one piece. Using a fingernail and a little force simply results in the plastic cap failing and leaving individual plastic cap residues stuck in each 'chamber' position. This could so easily have had an ejector mechanism or other to allow simple removal of the whole ring.
As it is - my son comes to me each and every time he wants the caps replacing (which is almost less than 60 seconds!), exactly the reason I didnt go for the paper cap gun in the first place...

So, if you are happy replacing the caps for your little one at every given opportunity or know of a better way to remove the spent cap ring than I, good for you! But, for most I think that perhaps the somewhat 'extended' use of a paper-roll type cap gun may give the shooter more uniterrupted firing fun and mum/dad more time to play dead!

Harper's Island - Complete Season [DVD]
Harper's Island - Complete Season [DVD]
Dvd ~ Elaine Cassidy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Desert Island Disc for sure...!, 16 Mar. 2010
(I am sorry to spoil the glowing reviews posted here ....but for most thirtysomethings, you seen it all before..)

This idea has been visited many times before - group of people get together for a memorable occasion. Shallow characters with nothing but beer and sex on their minds (but nothing wrong with that!), all arriving to the party with over-the-top exuberance (that most Brits will never quite understand). They all get drunk and are having a whale of a time until, wait for it.......... a serial killer starts picking them off "....one by one...." Yawn, yawn....

The cast are the Stereo typically American dolly-bird type women and nerdy guys (who act like they never seen/heard of the female of the species before), work through the script with enthusiasm but you need to have tongue firmly planted in your cheek. eg. man traps in the woods that the individual just happens to walk over leading to their untimely demise.

Rather grimly - each episode is titled with the phonetic equivalent made when each individual is murdered.ie.Whap / Crackle / Ka-Blam etc.

However, the discs do keep rolling into the player as soon as the previous episode has ended only to see where the plot is going and ultimately who is culling the cast. But, will likely be forgotten by most within a few weeks or possibly days of completing the set.

Looking Through You
Looking Through You
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Poptastic, 9 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Looking Through You (Audio CD)
After hearing 'Getting Up With You' and not being able to get the song out of my head for some days I decided to take a punt on this album / the first purchased for many months and I am well pleased with it. Harmonious riffs and tuneful melodies propogate the lyrics making most tunes seem like a breath of fresh air to most of the tripe in the music charts these days. One or two are a little too 'electronic/cheesy' sounding for my taste and the album loses a star for in places sounding a little too like Gary Barlow(?) in my humble opinion - but this doesnt detract from a fresh and uplifting album for the mostpart with boopy tunes that you will be humming for ages..! Yeah....you! Go buy it and enjoy it!

Perfect Symmetry
Perfect Symmetry
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars All hopes - now fears...?, 20 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Perfect Symmetry (Audio CD)
I am always the first to whinge when I hear bands continually pumping out the same stuff - sounding every bit like the one that went before...
I was quietly optimistic when I heard The Lovers are Losing on the radio and recognised a somewhat 'different'(though cant quite put my finger on it),sound.

The album is defnitely a different production on the two previous offerings and whilst there are some catchy tunes therein (Spiralling, Lovers are Losing, Better Than This, Again and Again) the remainder of the songs are not particularly memorable. ('You Havent Told Me Anything' is particuarly disappointing....)

Whilst this album is well worth a listen - I feel it is not quite the same calibre as 'Hopes and Fears' or its brilliant successor 'Under The Iron Sea'.

My hopes : an album different yet comparable to its predecssors
My fears : have Keane now lost 'it'...??? Time will tell, I guess

"Avengers" Dossier: The Definitive Unauthorised Guide
"Avengers" Dossier: The Definitive Unauthorised Guide
by Martin Day
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun - change is good!, 7 Jun. 2007
I note the comments of the earlier reviewer and agree that there are errors in the text - however, this DOES NOT detract from a fun and very entertaining read. Unless you are bothered that a particular episode actually aired on 26th June and not the 24th- is this likely to bother the casual reader? It is refreshing that it is not just another detailed line by line guide of each episode but a personal interpretation of each episode. This was book was written and should be read, with tongue firmly-in-cheek ie. exactly as the programmes were intended all those years ago - Enjoy!