Profile for SimonP > Reviews

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
Offered by Unique Savings
Price: 88.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 10 July 2014
It seems to be a very good all-round performer but the speed of this SSD is particularly impressive. I upgraded from a 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD to the Evo 250GB and the difference is amazing. I re-ran Windows 7's 'Windows Experience Index' and it went from 7.6 to 7.9! If you're upgrading from a hard disk you'll be blown away but even going from an older SSD to this one has made a big difference.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2014 10:13 AM BST

ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 Motherboard (Socket 1150, Z87 Express, DDR3, S-ATA 600, ATX, Haswell, Supports 4th Generation IntelCore Processors)
Price: 109.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice motherboard, 22 Feb 2014
Overall a nice motherboard. I found it a little quirky at first but it worked out of the box, felt fast and is well specified. I contacted ASRock support over those "quirks" and they were very helpful so I'm happy to recommend it.

Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.40GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)
Offered by ValueNTrust
Price: 158.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!, 22 Feb 2014
I replaced a Core2Quad processor running at 3.4GHz with this (motherboard needed replacing) and could feel the speed difference immediately. The stock fan is a little noisy but I plan on replacing it with a closed loop water cooler then overclocking it so no problem. The HD4600 GPU is really nice, it replaced an ATI HD5750 card and the display was noticeably better when watching HD videos.

G.Skill Ripjaws-X Main Memory 8 GB 2,133 MHz 240-Pin 2x 4GB CL9 DIMM DDR3 RAM Kit
Price: 68.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, fast memory, 22 Feb 2014
It defaults to 1600MHz CL11 in my motherboard (ASRock z87 Extreme 4) but changing the settings manually lets it work at full speed and the difference is noticeable. Nice memory.

Syba 4 Port SATA II PCI-Express x4 Controller Card Optional 2 Port eSATA
Syba 4 Port SATA II PCI-Express x4 Controller Card Optional 2 Port eSATA
Price: 52.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap, but works well, 15 Aug 2012
I wanted to add some more drives but having run out of SATA ports on my motherboard, a card like this was necessary.

I followed the instructions but Windows (7 x64) didn't see the card until I disconnected the drives. It then found a driver which I replaced with the one on the CD and it sprang into life.

* The price seems a bit excessive but I couldn't find many alternatives as I needed at least 4 ports and only have room for one card. Also I wanted PCIe x4 for the extra bandwidth over x1.

* Speeds are great - I ran some tests and it works at the same speed as the on-board SATA2 ports.

* From what I've seen it isn't capable of running RAID arrays but I don't need that anyway.

* Delivery was super fast! They quoted about 5 days but it arrived the next working day.

I'm happy. :)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2013 1:01 PM GMT

Belkin TuneBase - FM Transmitter for iPod
Belkin TuneBase - FM Transmitter for iPod

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice product, 7 Oct 2009
I have tried a few iPod holders for the car and most have been average in terms of sound quality, build and flexibility. This one works very well, allows you to position the iPod where you want it and the sound quality is good.

My only criticism is that there doesn't seem to be a mounting plate for the Nano 3G (about 6 are supplied for various models) but it sits quite securely when simply plugged in and a bit of foam behind it will secure it from normal vibration.