Profile for flyingkipper > Reviews

Content by flyingkipper

flyingkipper "flyingkipper" (UK)

How to Write a Nonfiction eBook in 21 Days - That Readers LOVE!
How to Write a Nonfiction eBook in 21 Days - That Readers LOVE!
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with genuinely practical advice, 19 Jan 2014
I'm trying to produce a nonfiction e-book, having no previous experience. I expected this to be lightweight fluff or - at the other extreme - far too technical for me to make sense of. In fact, it's concise, well-organised, and easy to read. It's also surprisingly motivating; far from feeling overwhelmed, I'm beginning to believe my idea might be worthwhile and achievable, and I've started work on it. I'm sure I'll be referring back to this on a regular basis to check out each stage of the process.

Philips HD9220/20 Airfryer Healthier Oil Free Fryer, Black
Philips HD9220/20 Airfryer Healthier Oil Free Fryer, Black
Offered by SPARES-2-GO
Price: 109.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Healthy Alternative for Teens, 1 July 2012
My teenage daughter is a very faddy eater and consumes huge quantities of fast food despite my best efforts to get her to 'eat healthy', so I was delighted to see this and decided to give it a go.It was an instant success - not only because the chips we made were delicious but because it was so easy to operate and clean.The novelty has worn off slightly after a few weeks but it's still used on a very regular basis and - interestingly - my daughter no longer really enjoys the oven chips we used to buy by the sackful. She's also experimented with her own coating for chicken pieces - again much healthier than the bought kind. An added bonus for me is that the amount of residual grease and mess is minimal compared with either a deep fat fryer or trays of greasy food in the ordinary oven - everything is really well contained in the unit, and easy to wash afterwards, in the the sink or dishwasher. Having a timer is another 'plus' - you can go and do other things during cooking and know you won't come back to a kitchen full of smoke! The only criticism I can think of so far is that capacity is not huge; one very generous portion or two sensible ones is the norm. However, the unit is already fairly large and would have to be much larger to hold more, so it's a sensible compromise.Definitely a good buy; qualifies as essential kitchen equipment in our household now!

Ancestral Trails: Complete Guide to British Genealogy and Family History
Ancestral Trails: Complete Guide to British Genealogy and Family History
by Mark D. Herber

5.0 out of 5 stars the undisputed bible of family history - get it!, 11 Mar 2004
Having been involved in family history research for thirty years, and being completely self-taught by trial and error, I have sometimes been tempted to invest in expensive reference books, but found many of them cumbersome, badly organised, or rapidly outdated. Genealogy is constantly developing but even so this book, in any edition, is an absolutely invaluable longterm reference. It is written in a hugely informative way, exciting and never patronising, and the sheer quantity and quality of information in it is breathtaking. You couldn't make a better investment if you're researching your family history (especially with the superb Amazon discount!) Can't fault it! BRILLIANT!!!

The New Messies Manual: The Procrastinator's Guide to Good Housekeeping
The New Messies Manual: The Procrastinator's Guide to Good Housekeeping
by Sandra Felton

5.0 out of 5 stars Horses for courses - but in my view this is a winner, 3 Nov 2002
Over the past few years I have invested in many, many self-help books designed to help me reduce and manage the clutter in my home. As a former (successful) company manager who had no difficulty creating and managing effective systems, I couldn't understand why I couldn't apply similar principles to my domestic scene. I tried one 'system' after another without success, becoming more and more demoralised in the process. Sandra Felton's friendly and humorous book is, I have to say, the first I have found which speaks to me as a person and not as a failed housewife!
Other reviews have criticised Felton's informal approach, her lack of substantial evidence for some of the parallels she draws with OCD and ADD etc. I can only say that, if you are prepared to leave aside those of her opinions which you disagree with, or find poorly supported, you will still have an eminently useful book which not only provides a sound, flexible framework for that all-important first decluttering, but offers a kind of personal encouragement and support which stays with you long after you put the book down. Felton clearly has strong religious faith, and she refers to this in the book but never in a way which non-religious readers should be offended by (I'm as non-religious as they come, and it didn't ruffle my feathers!)What is more important, I think, is that she makes no attempt to be, or to make others, in any way superhuman.
This is not a book on systems or time management applied to the home - as so many other books are. I have read many of those, admired them and tried to apply them, and I have failed miserably because the home is not the office, and your family are not your employees. If your time is not entirely your own, and particularly if you are living with the crushing loss of self-esteem which accompanies the true state of Messiness, take heart. Sandra Felton will help you to find the confident, organised, focused person you know is in there somewhere. You will, if you follow her very simple approach, change the state of your house fundamentally and (hopefully) longterm. It worked for me, and for many of my Messie friends - I am not generally given to wild enthusiasm about books of this sort, but I can honestly say that this book has changed my life for the better.

Fill Your Oil Paintings with Light and Color
Fill Your Oil Paintings with Light and Color
by Kevin Macpherson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, inspiring, and practical, 12 Feb 2002
This is a rarity in the field of 'how-to' art books - and I speak as one who has shelves crammed with them! If you're tired of opening such books and being confronted by the same old colour wheel and rules of composition, treat yourself to a breath of fresh air (literally!) and invest in this. Macpherson is a founder of the American 'school' of plein air painting, and his work has a vivacity which instantly puts the book above the traditional demonstration mode and into a class of its own. I haven't painted for years and have lost a lot of confidence, but by the end of the first few pages I was itching to pick up a brush and have a go.
Text is readable - friendly and supportive, never patronising or bullying. It's full of practical suggestions which can instantly help - e.g. if you use a slide projector, put it out of focus to simplify big shapes and assess composition. Look at your picture in a mirror to get a fresh, unbiased view.
Apart from the obvious expertise and enthusiasm(and this book bursts at the seams with both), the particular strengths are:
*number and quality of stunning illustrations - you can see the brushwork, and the colours sing
*on almost every page there are 'idea boxes' with snippets of advice or exercises to try, which encourage participation!
*demonstrations of paintings built up in the studio after plein air sessions show how Macpherson develops/corrects his work
*it's a book which is equally valuable as bedside reading or propped up next to your easel
* a raw beginner would learn a lot from it; so would a seasoned professional artist (I think!)
Without doubt, this is the one art book I would take to the desert island with me! A close second, if you're interested, would be Steve Allrich's 'Oil Painting for the Serious Beginner'