Profile for J. Lonsdale > Reviews

Content by J. Lonsdale

J. Lonsdale (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
TeckNet PowerWave W2 13000mAH 2-Port USB Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with BLUETEK Smart Charging Technology (2A Input, Fast Power Reload) For Apple iPhone,iPad Air,iPad Pro,iPad Mini,Samsung Galaxy,Nexus,HTC,More Mobile Phones and Tablets
Offered by Hippidion.Store

2.0 out of 5 stars Insufficient welly, 9 Sept. 2015
Hoped to get four smartphone charges out of it. Managed only three partial charges. Returned and bought something with more welly.

Swees 25600mAh Ultra High Capacity Power Bank (3 Smart Port, 4.5A Output) Portable External Battery Charger For iPhone, iPad and Samsung Galaxy and More - Black
Offered by swees-shop

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a brick!, 8 Sept. 2015
Kept an Xperia Z2 a Samsung Galaxy S4 charged over a week (with pretty heavy use - as satnav and camera) and two little mp3 players as a bonus. Following disappointing experiences with a cheap solar charger and a powerbrick, nice to get one that does what it's supposed to!

German Grammar Drills
German Grammar Drills
by Edward Swick

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably useful!, 30 April 2014
This review is from: German Grammar Drills (Paperback)
This is a great book. Finally I have clear and simple explanations of the complex machinery of German grammar and some exercises that are really helping me to get to grips with it. Probably not for beginners, but from intermediate level.

Wish it were a bit smaller - easier for use on my commute (but then, there'd be less in it). Wish (in contradiction of previous wish) that there were even more exercises. If it delivered on these two things, I'd be even more effusive!!!!!

Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome album, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: follow me down (Audio CD)
One of the best albums I've bought in years (I've not bought many this century, I admit, but the fact I knuckled down and bought this one surely speaks volumes for its awesomeness).

American folk/bluegrass with a little bit of new-ness and a whole lot of exceptional musicianship. Annabelle Lee is a killer. But it's certainly not the only one on here.

The Witches
The Witches

5.0 out of 5 stars 7-year-old girl gripped, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Witches (Paperback)
Took this on holiday just in case bad weather kept us cooped up in a caravan for a fortnight. Weather was good to us, as it happened, but we still read the book through. My 5 year old did like it, but 7-year-old couldn't get enough. I'd sit reading it to her for an hour and she would demand more (this from a girls who has difficulty sitting through a quick meal). Not too scary. Engaging characters. Brilliant, original concepts. Dahl totally rules. Still.

Since re-read it with both of them. And Dahl still totally rules. Still.

The Complete Adventures of Charlie and Mr Willy Wonka
The Complete Adventures of Charlie and Mr Willy Wonka
by Roald Dahl

4.0 out of 5 stars Original story had my daughters leaping with joy, 29 Jan. 2014
Can't believe I'm only giving this 4 stars. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory went down so well with my 7 and 5 year old daughters that it had them on their feet, whooping at the key moments, all the way through. Youngest took it into school for show-and-tell (and then, when she got the pop-up version, did the same with that).

BUT, I just couldn't get them into the Great Glass Elevator. Somehow the concept/telling just didn't grab them and we've twice given up just a couple of chapters in. So I can't give this edition the five stars that the original story so clearly deserves.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Pop-Up Book
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Pop-Up Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Knock-out pop-up for fans, 29 Jan. 2014
My girls (7 and 5) loved the story so much (in original format) that the younger one asked for a pop-up version. Couldn't believe my luck to find that one existed. And it is excellent. Nice to be able to re-read the story in a shorter form (and I'm asked to do so frequently). Sometimes spectacular cardboard mechanics. Daughter so proud of it that she took it into school for show-and-tell!

LEGO Friends 41004: Rehearsal Stage
LEGO Friends 41004: Rehearsal Stage
Offered by TRQuality

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for a hyperactive 7-year-old girl and her 5-year-old sister, 29 Jan. 2014
My daughter got this (and other Lego Friends sets) for her birthday and Xmas last year. They really hold her attention when building them. She's spent time (with and without adult help) both following the instructions and getting creative, building dream homes, etc. She's spent time playing rock-star/ballerina in various adventures. It's great that Lego is now doing girl-friendly stuff, and it's such a phenomenally good toy that adults are keen to spend time on it with the kids.

My 5-year-old has also enjoyed Lego friends stuff - she might need a little more help building anything extensive, but it's certainly not beyond her.

All the sets we've got are really nice and this one, with the revolving platform, is particularly cool.

Now they're into Lego, we have an infinite demand for more. I just wish it were a little cheaper.

Illustrated Stories from Dickens (Usborne Illustrated Story Collections)
Illustrated Stories from Dickens (Usborne Illustrated Story Collections)
by Mary Sebag-Montefiore

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my daughter's most valued possessions, 29 Jan. 2014
This is a beautiful edition with really nice re-tellings of some great Dickens' stories. Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations went down very well. Bleak House, not so much - too convoluted a soap opera to hold my daughter's attention. Haven't yet read her David Copperfield (I'm halfway through the original version - don't want to spoil it!). I believe she now considers this book one of her most valued possessions!

Lego 3841 Games - Minotaurus
Lego 3841 Games - Minotaurus
Offered by ZeroCero JAPAN (Thank you for visiting us. We will send you popular items with care from japan.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thwart your family, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Lego 3841 Games - Minotaurus (Toy)
This game is awesome! Building it with my girls (7 and 5) was fun, then they proceeded to thrash me at the game repeatedly (both of them ganged up on me, so it wasn't really fair!). Then I spent days playing it with my in-laws. Everyone loved the simplicity - like ludo, race to the middle (and, like ludo, we played first player to get all their pieces home) - combined with the ability to thwart, frustrate and, quite frankly, victimise other players.

Nice one, Lego!