Profile for Matt > Reviews

Content by Matt

Matt

Page: 1 | 2
Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ear Headphones - Ivory (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars For Portable headphones the are very few in it's class as an ALL ROUND product, 14 Feb. 2014
The full package: The Senheiser Momentums come in a simple box which you just lift the lid off and away you go, in the package the was a sturdy feeling, though slightly bulky, carry case which contained the following:
Bubblewrap for extra protection
The headphones with 1 cable attached
1x Spare regular cable that's a shorter length
1x In-line remote cable which is the same length as the standard which is about 3 feet long

Verdict: Simple, includes everything you need and more and the sturdy carry case and spare cables are a nice inclusion (the cable is detachable)

The Build Quality:
The Headpones them self feel incredibly sturdy with very few moving parts, the adjustment is done by sliding the cups up and down on the headband as opposed to using a locked adjustment, not only does this allow for more precise adjustment it's also less likely to break. A little disappointed at the exposed cables in the headband but any damage to them should be easily avoidable.

The cables: A bit disappointing, they feel fairly flimsy, the in-line cable is well thought out though with a well placed in-line remote and 90degree headphone jack which is less prone to breaking in the pocket. The flimsy nature of the cable though isn't a big deal due to the ability to replace it with whatever cable you should choose, want a 1/4 inch jack? Just buy a cable and you're sorted! No need for adaptors! Though it'd have been nice to include a cable as standard but these are designed to be portable headphones.

The Style: Fantastic, I think Beats look too clunk and cheap to be considered fashionable & Skullcandys look tacky, these ooze
class with a very 'adult' styling to them. These are one of the few headphones that have impressed with their design, whilst Phillips is busy trying to make their headphones look like a pair of jeans these look the part with really nice retro fashion.

The Sound: These are fun headphones, and quite laid back, they really make rock & electronic music shine. Folk music sounds really nice as well but not as nice as it would on reference or open backed headphones. The is an ever so slight emphasis on bass and the mids aren't quite as detailed as you'd find on more expensive headphones but the bass is responsive and the highs are really clear and crisp, a lot of detail is present. THESE ARE NOT REFERENCE headphones, those looking for a pure and accurate recreation of their music collection should look elsewhere. NOTE: Also easily driven so no need for headphone amp or expensive Dacs as they are designed for portable devices.

Comfort: Very comfortable, unlike a lot of headphones I've had in the past these headphones do not subject me to headphone fatigue at all. The pads are soft, the band is light and the cup pressure is just right (at least for my head, which is quite large) this will vary from person to person.

Sound Isolation?: No not very much so these wont be ideal for people wishing to use these in noisy/crowded environments.

Overall: These are NOT the best sounding headphone I have ever heard from a technical perspective but in terms of enjoyment from the sound they produce they're certainly up there. I've got a lot of reference headphones and I felt like I needed a set of cans that'd jazz up the sound a little bit for when I wan't a more lighthearted and less tiring listening experience at home and as far as portable headphones I don't think I've ever owned a more robust all rounder than these! They sound great, look great, are comfortable, well designed and beat those trashy Marley, Skullkandy and Beats into the sorry hole they came from.

Venom USB Joypad Controller (PC)
Venom USB Joypad Controller (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent for Playstation Emulation, 22 Nov. 2013
IF you're looking to use this controller for Playstion emulation then I'd recommend it due to it's design... its not the worst built controller I've used and it's fairly comfortable but when it comes gaming with modern PC games I'd say just cough up the extra £15 and get an Xbox 360 controller... it's build quality, feature set and instant compatibility with most/all modern controller supported games found on steam complete with accurate button prompts and no key binding what so ever (or need to use fiddly controller emulators) it saves you more than £15 worth of hassle, I found my time with this controller frustrating.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars It does exactly what it promises, 25 Jun. 2012
I got this keyboard because as a rule I hate laptop keyboards. I always miss a fullsized keyboard whenever I am using one and they are usually not the most pleasing things from a tactile prospective. This keyboard though feel sturdy, is quite nice to use and the blue LED effect is very nice and gives the keyboard a note of personality. On the whole it's a very solid keyboard though I'm sure you can get one for a similar price with way more functions, buttons and a nicer feel this is probably the best backlit keyboard you're going to get for the price and for what it's worth it's still on its on strengths a very nice keybaord.

The are a couple of gripes, first of all the way it achieves the blue backlit effect means that the actual characters on the keys are very faded when the backlight isn't on so this means you'll need to have the effect on all the time. This isn't a bad thing, as I say it's very tasteful and not at all distracting, but for some people I just know it's going to irrationaly send up the wall.

Second of all, The windows key is not where I'd associated it to be. Instead we have a function key and the only windows key is now found on the right side, some use with the keyboard will retrain your brain but early on I found it an unusual design choice and kind of irritating at times. I assumed they did this to save placing another key on the board and I am now glad they didn't stick it on the right as I actually think it'll be way more intuitive that way then to stick it on the right side.

The enter key is a tad on the small side, I like my enter keys to dominate the keyboard like the badass it is.

Overall though it's a very pleasing keyboard to use.

For information the function keys available to you are: Media Player, Volume Down, Volume Up, Mute, Previous Track, Next Track, Play/Pause, Stop, Internet, E-mail, Display, Bookmark.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2013 11:20 PM GMT

Logitech M305 Wireless Mouse - Light Silver
Logitech M305 Wireless Mouse - Light Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Very solid Mouse, 25 Jun. 2012
I've used many cheaper wireless mice before & whilst they've all be functional they've always suffered from interference, poor range and sometimes sloppy accuracy. This wireless mouse is the first one where I thought 'Maybe I should spend more then a tenner on one of these' & now bare in mind this is the first wireless mouse I have used that cost more then a tenner so comparisons to similar product are a no go for me I'm afraid.

I did however have the baby brother of this Mouse the 'M185' which for the most part did a serviceable job and appeared to come with the same receiver as this mouse but it felt like it was ready to shatter in your hands & felt a little unresponsive at times but it was only £8. This mouse seems to address all of these issues as this feels more robust, seems way more accurate and consistent, is a tad better sized and has a much more comfortable design. One issues I still have with this mouse is the scroll wheel and the way it feels... it still feels a bit too 'mechanical' and is quite loud to boot.

I would recommend this mouse though I do get a feeling that some people would be perfectly satisfied with the much cheaper 'M185'

Something
Something
Offered by ScreamingCd

5.0 out of 5 stars A real star amongst a sea of decent 80s throwbacks, 8 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Something (Audio CD)
The have been A LOT of electro/synth based 'indie' albums as of late and it's becoming harder and harder to stand out and whilst the have been plenty of good ones not many stand out as a true quality synth pop album. Enter Chairlift and their stunning album 'Something' which hits the synth pop nail directly in the head with such permission that it is currently incredibly concussed in the corner of my room. Now it's taken me a long time to get to a review of this album but that was because I wanted to see if the giddy feeling I was getting from this album would ever wear off, which is so frequently the case with similar albums, but here I am 2 weeks and 15 listens later and I still absolutely adore the beast. Some of the best pop I've heard in a long long long time with fantastic vocals, interesting yet familiar music and insanely strong hooks, it's very hard to fault this album other then it perhaps sounds a bit too situated in it's 80s roots? I don't think that at all though so to hell with you, this album is one of the best I've heard in recent years period with only Anais Mitchells 'Hadestown' topping it in the last couple of years imho.... it's not ground breaking it's just the sort of album I apparently fall in love with & that's okay with me.

Born to Die
Born to Die

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts off well, loses momentum fast, 6 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Born to Die (Audio CD)
It's a fine art crafting a fine pop album, it's probably the one genre that it's almost impossible to gain true wide acceptance in & based on the early singles of Lana Del Rey it looked like she may be 2012's success story. The truth is a truly great pop album needs to be one full of potential singles & whilst this is true of this album a lot of these would be bloody boring singles, a handful of incredibly strong lead singles (Video Games, Blue Jeans & Born To Die) on top of 'Off To The Races' within the first 4 songs would have you believe this album is about to live up to the hype but then all of a sudden it goes incredibly pedestrian and... dull. The charisma vacuum begins and the album exposes it's self as a blackhole of ideas, running the same formula into the ground time and time again with diminishing returns, come the end of the album you'll succumb to the fact that you had either called it very right by saying the was no substance to Lana or like myself very wrong by backing such a dull vehicle & it has to be said the backlash is very much deserved in this case (though the nasty comments in some reviews aren't). This album had potential but it doesn't quite live up to it. (2.5 stars)

Illuminated People
Illuminated People

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost in the shuffle, but one of the best releases of the year so far, 6 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Illuminated People (Audio CD)
Lost in the shuffle would be the best way to describe this album, amongst the bigger releases I almost completely overlooked this album despite the material I had heard being rather good. So what is this album like? Well it's hard to say really, it takes it's sound from many mourish tasty pies from the Reggae, Electronic, Indie Pop, Noise & the like & it's all very catchy, the album arguably opens with it's weakest cut the overlong 'Libra Man' starts off well enough but it eventually reveals it's self as a bit meandering, thankfully this isn't a problem the rest of the album faces and what you get is hooks galore, great vocal variety & some sweet harmonies! 'Entwined Pines' sounds all very Why? in the chorus until the noisy guitars come crashing in, 'What We Done Wrong' is a fantastic pop number, 'Shores' is a vocal harmony master-class channelling Merriweather Post Pavillion and the closer has a very The Fall like hook to it, what this album is is one that never lets go of your interest and it's very accomplished in what it does... it covers a lot of ground and does it very well & I highly recommend the album.

Paralytic Stalks
Paralytic Stalks

1.0 out of 5 stars After 14 years of Montreal finally put out a bad album, 6 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Paralytic Stalks (Audio CD)
of Montreal always rank highly in my list of anticipated releases, whenever a new album is due to drop my pupils dilate, I salivate and become a totally irrational human being for a good months or so. So why have I been so quiet about this particular release? Well needless to say it all feels like a 2nd rate release from the ho hum singles, lack of hype and general lack of interest from even the biggest of of Montreal fans this album sort of sunk without a trace & when I finally did get the chance to hear it... it was quite easy to see why. I've loved of Montreal Mach 2 and everything they've done to varying degrees & I personally thought the Prince Funk Pop inspired 'False Priest' was amongst their very best albums, however this album doesn't sit right... it's all over the place and rarely holds an idea down but not in the strange and hypnotic way Skeletal Lamping did..... this album is trying to find a new voice and I respect it for trying but this album doesn't leave an impression of any kind and that's really worrying from a band that prides it's self on grabbing peoples attention, this isn't a weak album it's just down right bad.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2012 5:18 PM BST

Dara O Briain Talks Funny - Live in London [DVD]
Dara O Briain Talks Funny - Live in London [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dara O'Briain
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars This guy's stand up is amongst the best you're going to get these days, despite his poor presence on panel shows., 9 Dec. 2011
I was surprised when I first watched this DVD, bought as a punt during a sale this was a DVD was expecting a bit of topical humour from and a few giggles but nothing special but how I was wrong. Basically O'Briain is a very intelligent guy and uses his knowledge well to make hist stand up not only unique but totally accessible.

This show treads the line of Observational and traditional humour well with a bit of surrealism thrown in for good effect, all of them in perfect balance. His interaction with the audience is done with enthusiasm and wit unlike the blind harassment his co-panellist Frankie Boyle throws out. Having seen all of his DVD's I think this one is the best, but only by a margin. One of the great Stand Up DVD's of this decade easily & I still laugh at it frequently after several viewings.. Highly recommend.

Kameo: Elements of Power - Classics Edition (Xbox 360)
Kameo: Elements of Power - Classics Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by games.empire

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best 3D Platformers of this generation, 9 Dec. 2011
This game came out early in this generations life cycle and it does show, but that doesn't stop it from being an imaginative and charming game with nice levels and great variety. Whilst it won't hold a candle to the Mario's of this world it's a very enjoyable game with it's flaws but it's got enough going for it, at the price it goes for these days it's a must.

Page: 1 | 2