Profile for Daisy Roots > Reviews

Content by Daisy Roots

Daisy Roots "grey panther" (London, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
An English Affair: Sex, Class and Power in the Age of Profumo
An English Affair: Sex, Class and Power in the Age of Profumo
by Richard Davenport-Hines

5.0 out of 5 stars well written, well researched gossip - couldn't put it down, 29 Aug. 2013
To my generation, the summer of 1963 is vivid, but I'm shocked at how little I really knew about it. Biggest shock was that Stephen Ward didn't actually do anything wrong at all. He was neither a pimp, drug dealer, procurer nor spy. He wasn't even gay. Keeler and Rice Davies were not prostitutes, just good time girls. And Rachman, while no saint, wasn't as evil as the press said. Nobody comes out of the thing well, except perhaps poor Bill Astor and his wife - but the press, the police and Lord Denning come out particularly badly. Anyway, it's well written, well researched gossip, and I couldn't put it down. A salutory reminder of just how far women and racial minorities have come in the last 50 years. Things are by no means perfect now, but worth looking back now and again to see how far we've come.

BiC For Her Medium Ballpoint Pen - Black, Box of 12
BiC For Her Medium Ballpoint Pen - Black, Box of 12

1.0 out of 5 stars At last - a girlie pen!, 28 Aug. 2013
I could never get to grips with regular ball point pens, so was delighted to find this girlie pen, designed for my dainty little fingers. My husband has promised to show me how to write a cheque soon. If I'm good.

Family Likeness
Family Likeness
by Caitlin Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Family History Novel, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Family Likeness (Hardcover)
Family History is a current obsession with so many of us, and this well crafted novel touches on so many aspects which make the subject so sad and yet fascinating: illegitimacy; race; children raised in care homes and the good and bad behaviour of adults towards children. I thought the ending came too soon - would have like a few more chapters on how life in Pembleton Terrace went on. It's a mystery novel, all the clues are there, but they are subtle, and you need to pay attention. Lovely book!

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
by Hilary Mantel

5.0 out of 5 stars The Booker well merited, 8 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Paperback)
Hilary Mantel may be narking, but she's a great writer, and the closeness of the way she tells Thomas Cromwell's story is totally gripping. It took me a few pages to get into it, but once I go the idea, I was hooked. I didn't buy it from Amazon, I won't buy anything else from them until they start paying tax properly in this country, I suggest you order it from Guardian Books.

The Ghost of Lily Painter
The Ghost of Lily Painter
by Caitlin Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars An intruiging and satisfying mystery, 20 July 2011
Despite the rich historical background, this is a very modern book, reflecting how London renews itself with each new wave of immigrants. The 21st century family are mixed race and the parts of the book set in the present day are really well observed. Others have complained that this book isn't scary enough, but not everyone wants that from a ghost story - I certainly don't. It was more of a mystery, which kept me guessing (almost) until the end, and I found that much more satisfying than being frightened. I had heard of baby farmers, but had no idea what they actually did - very chilling, especially the scene where the children are so suspiciously tranquil.

There are two love stories: Lily and Gus, then Annie's break up and new romance, but they are not central to the mystery at the heart of the plot. It's fast paced and well written, and anyone interested in the lives of women, in cities and how they evolve, will enjoy this book immensely.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent value, but could be easier to store settings, 9 Nov. 2009
I've seen this Body Fat Monitor sold for over twice the price elsewhere, so it's good value. Easy to use, easy to read, I really like it. My only complaint is that I can't work out how to store my settings, and have to enter height, weight etc., each time. Should be intuitive, but it ain't - so will have to do what I always do when all else fails - RTFM (read the manual!)

James Martin by Wahl Digital Kitchen Scales,
James Martin by Wahl Digital Kitchen Scales,
Offered by SellerVision

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect, but why do scales have man's name?, 9 Nov. 2009
These are great little scales: small and neat, easy to use, easy to clean - perfect! But why does everything have to have someone else's name on it? I don't know who James Martin is and I don't care either. I almost didn't buy it in case he was a celebrity. Wahl is a brand name I know - that's enough - stop with the sleb endorsments already! Would have given 5 stars if not for stupid name, which I have to look at all the time.

Snow Storms In A Hot Climate
Snow Storms In A Hot Climate
by Sarah Dunant

4.0 out of 5 stars Well plotted escapist novel, 2 Aug. 2009
I really enjoyed this, although not as much as "Transgressions" - my favourite of SDs novels. It's written in the late eighties, and it's fascinating how much the internet - and even more - mobile phones - have changed our lives. Much of the plot would have to be very different, and it's interesting to remember how hard it was sometimes to communicate, to find a phone, for example. This is not a criticism, just an observation of how life has changed in 20 years.

The novel seems to lose it's way about two thirds of the way in, when the girls are staying at the house by the cavern. But it picks up again, and is definitely worth your time.

Real England: The Battle Against the Bland
Real England: The Battle Against the Bland
by Paul Kingsnorth

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this, 16 July 2009
This book does for England what Naomi Klein's "No Logo" does for globalisation: it draws together all the things you already know about English life in 2009, and forces you to confront how much we are losing and how quickly we are losing it. Canals, apple varieties, pubs, markets, independent shops and cafés are disappearing at an astonishing rate. Multinationals can do what they like and are accountable to no-one. Local Councils are virtually powerless. Government and the corporate world demand that every aspect of our lives be made to pay for itself, for that is the only way its worth can be gauged.

When you have read this book, you realise just how many aspects of our lives have been blighted. Kingsnorth evokes Cobbett's epithet - "The Thing" to describe what is happening. We have moved on from Left and Right, and Kingsnorth argues that it is time the English stopped being ashamed of themselves, and wrested our identity back from the hands of the racists.

Other reviewers are right, this book will make you angry, but not, I hope, in a negative way. I hope it will affect the way people shop, travel and vote.

Apple iPod - 30GB - Black [video playback] MA146B/A
Apple iPod - 30GB - Black [video playback] MA146B/A

2.0 out of 5 stars Same old, same old, 4 July 2006
My experience has been absolutely typical of everyone else's. Got it in April 05: lovely bit of kit, went all round the world with it, camping in the sand and under the stars in Australia, all over the Far East, and after we got home, a creepy 13 months since the purchase of the little darling, I too downloaded the latest version of iTunes (6) and since then - nada.

Meanwhile had talked husband into having a black 30 gb for his birthday in Feb. The first time he left the house with it, had it in his inside jacket pocket, the screen went. John Lewis, from whom we bought it said it was his fault as the screen had been damaged. It's ludicrous to make the thing so fragile.

So now I need a new mp3, but what do I buy ? Now I know they die after 13 months (Guardian Money, passim) am I really going to shell out £200 per annum ? Incidentally, a Marks and Spencer sunglasses' case is the perfect iPod case. The sunglasses last at least 48 hours, but they only cost 10 quid. The case is precisely the right size for the pod and earbuds and keeps scratches to a minimum.

The two stars are entirely for the grace and design of the thing, but I'm an Old Person and I remember before the war, when things were made to last... (that's enough of that. Ed.)

Page: 1 | 2