Profile for P. W. Bland > Reviews

Content by P. W. Bland

P. W. Bland "Phil B" (UK)

Music for a Long While
Music for a Long While
by Francis Alan Jackson

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a long read and to be frank I thought it rather petered out about 75% of the way through but I stuck with it and on the who, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Music for a Long While (Hardcover)
As a young church organist growing up in Yorkshire in the late 1950's & 60's, Francis Jackson was a hero and no visit to York ( usually for trainspotting purposes !) was complete without a visit to the Minster for evensong. His recitals were a "must do" and the release of his LP records ( particularly the GCO Series No2 which I still have & treasure). So it was with some trepidation that I embarked on reading this book lest it dispelled the magic of those years !. Not a bit of it - he comes across as a surprisingly gentle and humble man, providing a fascinating insight to the life of a cathedral musician and virtuoso organist from the war years & across the latter half of the 20th C. It's a long read and to be frank I thought it rather petered out about 75% of the way through but I stuck with it and on the whole enjoyed it. A fantastic life well documented and so wonderful he is still with us ! Thank you Dr Jackson for inspiring me to play the Organ and providing me with so many memorable musical moments across 50 years.

Konig Satellite F-Splitter
Konig Satellite F-Splitter
Offered by Invero
Price: 1.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Just be aware......, 26 Oct 2012
I bought this to split a single cable satellite dish feed in order to feed a normal Sky box & a Freesat box in two bedrooms.

Splitter works fine with approx 20% loss of signal power ( no real effect on reception) but please be aware that you CANNOT run both boxes at the same time. If you want to do this you will need to cable each box seperately from the dish. You will need to power down (standby) the box you are not using.

Roberts STREAM63i CD/DAB/FM Internet Sound System with iPod Dock and Record Facility
Price: 295.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb bit of Kit, 16 Aug 2011
I have had this Stream 63 for several months now and find it superb. I bought it for its Internet Radio capability as the radio reception where I live in the Yorkshire Dales is abysmal.

Very simple to set up, found my wi fi network OK ( & several of my neighbours !) and off we went. The surprise was that the DAB reception was good - 100% better than my old Sony DAB radio even without an external aerial. I was very surprised that Roberts had not built in an external aerial socket for DAB but on this form perhaps it isn't needed. FM reception remains pretty poor and again no means of connecting an external aerial that I can see.

On all other fronts the sound quality is brilliant and it plays & charges my wifes iPod Touch 4 extremely well. Haven't tried Last FM yet - a job for a rainy day !

All you will ever need in one box - not cheap but then quality kit never is. Highly recommended
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2012 4:17 PM GMT