Profile for James > Reviews

Content by James

James "Jammer" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Garmin Edge 810 GPS Bike Computer
Garmin Edge 810 GPS Bike Computer

1.0 out of 5 stars Also the support that Garmin provide is absolutely terrible. I've tweeted, 6 May 2015
Overpriced junk. When it works it works, however that's the problem, it's only when it works. Also the support that Garmin provide is absolutely terrible. I've tweeted, emailed and called to try and get my issue resolved yet no one at Garmin takes any ownership of the issue.

Absolutely appalling to be honest and it will be going back.

ONKYO Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver and Speaker
ONKYO Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver and Speaker
Offered by home AV direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 19 Jan. 2015
The only negative about this was having to collect it from Yodel as the box was SO large that they were unable to deliver it! Why Amazon wouldn't check this I don't know!

That aside, once collected, unpacked and installed, I was blown away by the sound quality. I'm no audio snob and my previous system was a Panasonic Theatre system, so once i powered this on and played either my Xbox One or streamed audio via spotify, i was blown away. The detail of the sound was just superb. It's amazing how much i've missed previously.

The build quality is great and the inclusion of Spotify is a great addition, being a big user of this service. I have traditionally streamed this from either a PC or iDevice using airports so the fact I am now able to drive sound to this using the app is very convenient. One thing you need to do if you want to "wake" the device when you send Spotify to it is to enable "hybrid standby" on the menu, this way you can see the Amp as being available to receive audio even when it's off.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2015 1:11 PM BST

Apple iPhone 6 4.7-inch Display SIM-free Cellphone (128GB, Gray)
Apple iPhone 6 4.7-inch Display SIM-free Cellphone (128GB, Gray)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip off merchants, 18 Sept. 2014
Cheaper to buy direct from Apple! Very expensive for the specs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2014 2:02 PM BST

beyerdynamic DX120 Portable Headphones
beyerdynamic DX120 Portable Headphones

1.0 out of 5 stars Good sound but let down by terrible extension cable and poor after-sales service., 1 Sept. 2014
Similar experience to the other reviewer. Whilst out running yesterday 1 earphone stopped working and the sound in the other went very crackly. It turned out to be the short extension lead that is provided (the headphones come on a very short lead and the supplied extension is needed to use them).

After contacting the manufacturer, i got an email from "Polar Audio" telling me I would need to return them so they could either be returned or repaired. I twice explained that the headphones themselves were fine and it is just the lead/cord of the extension that needs replacing but they were having none of it. I would have to return the lot and they wouldn't just ship me a replacement cable that probably costs them a few pence....

A shame really as the audio is good and my review is really aimed at the poor quality of the (required) extension and the terrible after-sales service.

I'd avoid and maybe try the Sound Magic headphones which are far cheaper and surprisingly good!

Calvin Klein CK One Cotton Strech Boxers - Grey Heather - Medium
Calvin Klein CK One Cotton Strech Boxers - Grey Heather - Medium
Offered by UnderU

1.0 out of 5 stars Great brand, poor seller, 16 Jun. 2014
The item was described as cotton stretch boxer but what was shipped was in fact a pair of "trunks" - which are a smaller fit. Annoyed, I asked UndiesCo to send a pre-paid label so I could ship back for a free replacement - they flatly refused and to be honest it's not worth my time to faff around just for a pair of pants. My advice is to go for a different seller and hope they send the right item.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2014 1:41 PM BST

AOC I2757FH 27 inch Widescreen IPS LED Multimedia Monitor (1920x1080, 5ms, VGA, HDMI, Full HD 1080p, Screen+, i-Menu)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 14 Nov. 2013
After reading several reviews elsewhere on the interweb, I decided it was worth taking the risk on, what is to me, an unknown brand. I'm so glad I did, the colours are vivid, the styling is simple and classic and the non-glare display is simply superb.

I was considering the Apple Cinema Display but I just couldn't justify the cost. I'm glad I didn't bother as I really don't know how it could could be worth so much more than this cost. I work a lot with photography and this is perfect. I also work with 2 monitors at work and missed the extra screen at home. This works just as well as you get almost as much screen size in one device.

As long as it lasts the distance then I'll be glad I went for it over the Apple.

1230 Backdraught Shutter 4" 100mm
1230 Backdraught Shutter 4" 100mm
Offered by Needspares

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Junk - avoid, 5 Dec. 2012
I purchased this despite the mixed reviews and really wish I hadn't bothered. The item arrived and was not only broken but is totally unfit for purpose. It's made of inferior thin materials, contains only one very feeble spring (despite being designed for two due to markings that can be seen on the "blades/flaps").

I contacted the seller asking for a full refund and he, a chap called Richard, insisted that I return the (broken and useless) item, which is actually now in my office bin.

For £7.30, despite the low(ish) price, it's a total piece of junk.

My advice? Read the other reviews and avoid. I like supporting small business but now it looks like I have to go to B&Q.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2013 4:05 PM GMT

Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Hi-Fi Stereo Computer Speakers
Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Hi-Fi Stereo Computer Speakers

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning in every respect, 16 Oct. 2012
I love these. The review could end there but I think they deserve more. One, they are small so I feared that they wouldn't deliver on their promise but I was so wrong. They deliver at low, medium and high volumes and the detail of the sound is simply stunning. My only tiny gripe is that I wanted to extend the reach between the left and right speakers and to do so cost me £16 for a 1M extension. I did feed back to B&W that their literature fails to mention the length of the supplied cable anywhere in their pre-sales bumf or their supplied documentation.

They also look great in a subtle "confident" manner. If you can spare the money (life's too short!) then go for it - you certainly won't regret it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2014 3:46 PM BST

Prices Lighter
Prices Lighter
Offered by Home Star Supplies Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and nasty, 1 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Prices Lighter (Personal Care)
I'm not certain this is an official Prices product as it feels far more like a cheap import. I purchased it with the sole intention of lighting candle bags at a party but it barely works now after this party. It also isn't the same as the one shown in the picture. I would personally avoid.

Kärcher WV50 Window Vac - Window Cleaning Vacuum
Kärcher WV50 Window Vac - Window Cleaning Vacuum

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life, 29 Aug. 2012
It sounds lame but this is true - I used to dread having to wipe down the wet room after every shower as it would take a while and was always an annoying chore - not anymore! This thing is so simple and so effective that it has quite literally changed my life.

If you have a wet room then get one of these!

Page: 1 | 2