Profile for gone > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
I'm Not a Girl Not Yet a Woman
I'm Not a Girl Not Yet a Woman

5.0 out of 5 stars Dance-floor Fresh, 15 Nov 2012
This single brings much club sounds along excellent vocals. The title album track is backed by a remix and dub plus the song I RUN AWAY. This is the 2nd single from the 3rd studio album titled, Britney which ranked #1 in the Billboard position. This single also contains an enhanced section from the movie Crossroads [DVD] [2002]. From the different singles of I'M NOT A GIRL, NOT YET A WOMAN this is my top choice. The added sections plus the style of dub and remix are true favorites! As a dance junkie and in need of fix to uplift my moods, this CD did the trick!

Track one, I'M NOT A GIRL, NOT YET A WOMAN is the regular album version clocking at 3:51. It is considered a soft pop rock song and has been stated to be a favorite by other music artists like Justin Timberlake in an interview when asked. When asked by interviewers whether Britney is singing about her experiences she claims not directly but that the moods and vibe were definitely relatable by her and expressed through her singing. She wanted to create a more mature sound and this song was a sample of that along with the movie CROSSROADS that was also a sign of transition from adolescent to young adult. The video has been stated to be 1 of Britney's most enjoyable to do. "The music video won the award for "International Music Video of the Year Short-Form" on the 2003 Japan Gold Disc Awards" according to Wikipedia.The song was said to be part of the promotions for the movie. The song reached #2 in the UK Singles Official Charts and at #2 in the US Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100. In Canada's Hot 100 it reached #57. The beats are fresh, soft pop rock and definitely fun! This is a very relatable song to many, and the highly infectious elements are definitely addictive.

The second track titled, I'M NOT A GIRL, NOT YET A WOMAN SPANISH FLY REMIX RADIO EDIT [3:28] sounds very similar to the album version definitely hard to tell apart since the vocals are almost identical and the instrumentation is not as noticeably different. But if you listen carefully and back to back with the other [album version] then it is apparent: they are different. This infusing more dance styles versus pure pop or soft rock.

Track three is, I'M NOT A GIRL, NOT YET A WOMAN CHOCOLATE PUMA DUB [7:34] and has a rapid paced introduction along heavy repetitive climaxing beats with techno trance bangs and effects. It strays from the album version quite noticeably and quite refreshingly as the dance aura is in full effect. The beginning repeats, "Feels like I'm caught in the middle" over and over in between club sounds as it transcends into the other words to the song, "that's when I realize x 2" music picks up and slows and speeds to more electro sounds with "I'm not a girl not yet a woman, all I need is time a moment that is mine......" In retrospect, the entire listening experience is like listening to much club sounds and less vocals. Yet the vocals are highlighted when they do turn up. Drums and elevations are definitely present and the toxicity of the elements definitely give energizing, uplifting, and packfully highly synchronized styles climaxing to the highest of levels.

The next song is I RUN AWAY and is found in the Argentinean Import album BRITNEY as a bonus track. It is also found on the Singles Collection Boxset as track 2. It is not found in the Japanese Import nor the triple disc Import titled, Triple Feature. It is also present in the other Import single 3-track I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman.

This CD is housed in a slim-line jewel case and features an added little booklet inside that has many pictures/photos from the movie Crossroads. It is a great collector's item booklet and is also an added bonus for the enhanced CD section. If undecided on which single to buy I'd recommend this one for the extras and for the diversity not found on the others. Plus if you have the Boxset, this is totally different. It is a true favorite of mine to listen to and a top choice!

Britney's aim in the album BRITNEY was to stray from the bubblegum pop and incorporate a more mature sound with sensuality along hip-hop, R&B and pop meshed together. This single will give you a taste of that combined with club dance styles definitely sizzling hot and dancefloor friendly. The song title track I'M NOT A GIRL, NOT YET A WOMAN was written by Max Martin, Rami and UK singer-songwriter Dido. It was the theme song for the movie CROSSROADS.

Britney Spears' Heart to Heart
Britney Spears' Heart to Heart
by Britney Spears

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Inspiring: Filled With Reflection & Insight!, 10 Nov 2012
This book was a total unexpected surprise. I've had it for years and never felt truly motivated to begin it. The cover is cute but the artwork and the title didn't really impress me enough to want to divulge in it right away. This book has what no other book about Britney has: her words non-fictional and true! This is not an unauthorized biography or journalist but her up close with her sayings, her quotes, her thoughts, and her dreams. Her mom's words [Lynne Spears] are of course also highlighted page to page as this is a book treasured and dedicated mother to daughter and vice versa. The book was a testament and a reflection of the close bond Britney and her mom share. Over the years, they have grown closer with the good and bad times reinforcing their relationship. Britney and Lynn wanted to share their experience and pour their thoughts in a way to inspire others.

For the curious fan, this has many untold facts and experiences by Britney. She shares her journey into her beginnings all the way to her success. This will take you up to the ...BABY ONE MORE TIME success and right before album release of OOPS!...I DID IT AGAIN. As one who gets easily bored I must say I didn't put this book down for 1 minute nor see how many pages I had left as I read. If you've ever been curious to know what Britney is like then this will answer those questions. After reading this book I feel that I will probably go back to it for inspiration and reflection.

My favorite parts are many but here are a few quotes:

Britney states: "I've always been able to work through my fears and doubts. The way I see it, you can let them hold you back, or you can tell them to back off. It's all up to you."

Britney states: "I pray all the time. Every night before I go to sleep, I thank God for what I have and ask Him to watch over me and all the people I love. Right before we go on-stage for a concert, we all join hands--all the dancers, all the musicians, all the crew--and I lead us in a prayer. I find a lot of comfort knowing I can talk to God and He's listening. That's the way we were raised, and my family still goes to church on Sundays. I don't think I could ever look at how lucky I am now and not think that God had a hand in it."

Lynn states: "I always tell Brit that God works in mysterious ways. If you're looking in one direction and the path ends, then turn around and see where other roads might lead you..."

Britney states: "When I get into my dance mode, nothing in the world can get me out of it. One of my managers, Larry Rudolph calls it "the Zone"."

Britney states: "This album is similar in style to my first-- a lot of pop music that just makes you feel good and want to get on your feet and dance. But hold on to your seats for the third one. I think it will be a change--definitely more of a stretch for me creatively. Believe it or not, I kind of see myself one day going more into ballads and R&B [that's really my sound]...."

Aside the book being full of Britney's and Lynn's thoughts there are pictures throughout and quotes from other sources [friends, family members, and so forth]. The book has details on Britney's childhood with information on her dreams, aspirations, friends, and hang ups. Unlike other books I've read this had extras not seen. One is: "Brit was usually pretty scared of Santa". Others would be photos of her and her best friend Laura Lynne Covington, as well as photos with celebrities like Ricky Martin and Celine Dione. One such detail I had not known of Britney is her determination and confidence. One quote reveals this quite well. She says:

"It's important to stick up for what you believe in, even if others challenge you. I think when you begin to doubt yourself, it's like self-sabotage. As long as you're being true to your goals and working really hard, you have to have faith that everything will fall into place. And if it doesn't right away, you still have to keep on going. You can cry over something you can't control, you can sit there moping, feeling sorry for yourself, or you can just pick yourself up and try again. I did my share of crying, but it never lasted very long. Mama's optimism is contagious, and I guess my hopes were stronger than my fears."

In short, this entire reading will give a glimpse up-close to Britney's life on the road, on tour, on creating of her albums, before her success, after her impact on the scene, when she hurt her knee, when her hopes were down, up or in between, and much more. She keeps the faith, holds strong her dream to reach the top and believes. While many would give up Britney alongside her mom's support reveal a close tight relationship that further tightens the bond to sacrifice a lot in attempts to fight for the belief in your passion! The fire was there, the desire was strong, but it was through hard work, determination, and struggle that kept the dream alive. Lynn takes you there step by step in close revelation of how it all happened. Britney pours her heart to share her moments and thoughts. And together they bring a phenomenal account that to this day no other release can compete with. This book is a must-have for the die-hard fan, Britney newcomer, or curious. It will definitely give you a better understanding of Britney and her life. Through Britney's words and Lynn's the results are apparent. No other book can capture the true essence better!

Playlist: The Very Best of Britney Spears
Playlist: The Very Best of Britney Spears
Price: 15.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashfully Strong!, 10 Nov 2012
The Playlist: The Very Best Of [artist name] series features the hits remastered, some unreleased track/tracks/remix or a pick from the music artist's favorite. Only a select list of music artists enter this realm of recognition. Britney definitely has earned her mark in the world of music to bring this compilation out. The record company chose the songs from each album that were felt to have created the most impact. This set includes the signature classics such as ...BABY ONE MORE TIME, (YOU DRIVE ME)CRAZY, OOPS!...I DID IT AGAIN, TOXIC, WOMANIZER, and I WANNA GO to name a few. The songs expand from Britney's debut album ...BABY ONE MORE TIME to the more current FEMME FATALE plus the added unreleased track titled, CIRCUS (DIPLO CIRCUS REMIX).

The sound of the Remastered Version is definitely state-of-the-art. The clarity, projection, and effects are not vastly over abundant but the vocals in the singing are distinctly more sharp, and stronger in resonance. Not quite Super Audio nor BluSpec but definitely better. The tracks flow one after the other in non-succession. For instance, HOLD IT AGAINST ME is before IF U SEEK AMY and PIECE OF ME is after I WANNA GO. The choice of tracks reflect high energy, fast paced songs definitely dance friendly, party infused, and fun! This is not the ballad collection nor the mellow mid-tempo but rather the "pick me up" selection to feel invigorated, in the mood to go to the club, or just to take pleasure in.

The bonus of course is the extra previously unreleased track not found on the album titled, CIRCUS (DIPLO CIRCUS REMIX) [4:25]. And what a surprise the bonus is! The thumpin' banging bass, drums, and effects are majestically hyper, over exaggerated, and *wild*. The repetitive bangs are rampant, the tech-no effects are fierce, and the remix is like no other I've heard. The beauty is in the total transformation of the listening experience. Nothing comes close to this over the top vastly diverse remix. It is quite short but definitely sweet! The vocals are preserved while the club ambiance is over elevated to the extreme. The intensity is along the lines of being at the club as you enter and view the scene. Not anything like what I imagined: Club, techno, trance BRITNEY in club mode ALL THE WAY!

Triple Feature
Triple Feature
Price: 22.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Collector Item: Beautiful & Classic!, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: Triple Feature (Audio CD)
This is a gorgeous collector's type open up digi-pack that features Britney Spears first 3 studio albums with no bonus tracks nor extras other than packaging. The digi-pack opens nicely to reveal stunning gold type artwork photos with the tracks of each album side by side. For collector's this is a must have. For those who are interested in owning all 3 albums at a bargain price, this is stellar. And for the person who has the Japan Imports [such as myself] this is a nice contrast to hear all 3 albums chronologically without those extra tracks that make the listening too tiresome for that choir; be it cleaning, working-out, or just enjoying back on. All 3 albums debuted at #1, the first female artist to accomplish such feat.

Aside the glamour of the artwork there is the actual contents. These 3 studio albums were each stepping-stones on their own to the platform/throne of Princess of Pop that Britney so rightfully owns. Young, talented, and vibrant she brings 2 strong pop albums on ...BABY ONE MORE TIME and OOPS! I DID IT AGAIN to feel good, dance, and enjoy. ...BABY ONE MORE TIME became the best debut album for any female music artist in history and debuted at #1 on Billboard 200. OOPS!...I DID IT AGAIN also debuted at #1 in the Billboard 200 and geared the highest sales in 1 week by a female music artist to this day. As in her book titled HEART TO HEART, Britney describes her first 2 albums as more pop vs R&B or club dance. Both bringing much fierce beats in the pop genre. On BRITNEY there is a more mature sound with some R&B edge definitely more dance strong and R&B infused. Britney was trying to incorporate a more mature sound with hip-hop elements alongside pop and dance beats. The music in this third album as stated by Britney was titled by her name because they represented a more look into her personality, and a reflection of who she is versus the previous two.

Each album contains the signature songs that have made Britney so huge in the world of pop with songs like ...BABY ONE MORE TIME, OOPS!... I DID IT AGAIN, I'M A SLAVE 4 U, and (YOU DRIVE ME) CRAZY as classics and SOMETIMES, STRONGER, DON'T LET ME BE THE LAST TO KNOW, and I'M NOT A GIRL, NOT YET A WOMAN, BOYS, AND OVERPROTECTED as spectacular to say the least! This set features the hits plus the unique packaging that makes this a true must have for the Britney die-hard fan. When you open the digi the right hand part has the BRITNEY tracks and photo in a gold sepia style tone, in the left a ...BABY ONE MORE TIME photo and tracks, and in the center OOPS!...I DID IT AGAIN with photo and tracks. If you own all 3 albums, this won't disappoint. It is a classic to own and to hand down for generations to come. It most certainly exceeded my expectations!

S & M (2-Track)
S & M (2-Track)

5.0 out of 5 stars Soaring with: S-ensual & M-oving Beats!, 1 Nov 2012
This review is from: S & M (2-Track) (Audio CD)
This sizzling sensational single brings catchy, infectious beats ranging from dance, pop, club, to up-tempo dance-pop and Euro-dance! It is the the 4th single from Rihanna's 5th studio album titled Loud. Throughout the globe the single created a huge buzz and smash! It became Rihanna's tenth #1 single on the Hot 100. On the UK R&B chart it was #1 for 3 consecutive weeks. And the song has been certified silver by the British Phonographic Industry [Wikipedia]. It also became #1 on the Hot Dance Club Songs chart. And in 2011 became certified double platinum by the RIAA.

Track 1 is the Album Version [4:04] of S&M and as stated above has much Euro-dance pop styles with a sample from Depeche Mode's 1984 song, "Master and Servant" as stated by Wikipedia. The synthesizers, bass beats and effects are definitely overstated as fierce, hypnotic and dance-able. Rihanna's vocals shine in her signature sound quite distinct in resonance.

The second track is the S&M Sidney Samson Radio Remix [3:18] and while short in length it delivers. The swirling tech-no beats along trance effects are quite extraordinary. My favorite parts are the banging electronic thumps along heavy drums and bass-lines; definitely a leap of change to more club, more *wild* ambiance as compared to the album version. Rihanna's vocals are also quite nicely heard and sound fresh, eloquently strong. The synthesizer line is off the wall.

The remix featuring Britney Spears is available in download S&M Remix S&M Remix (feat. Britney Spears). It would have been nice for that download to be also available on this 2-track. Having heard the S&M remix with Britney featured really made me more interested in purchasing this song as I had heard it on Britney's Britney Spears: the Femme Fatale Tour - Live [DVD] [2011] [NTSC] and enjoyed it tremendously.

While the lyrics are suggestive and deemed too controversial to some, the truth is that the listening experience can be interpreted differently to the average music lover. It's fun, creative, playful, and definitely sensual; definitely not to take too seriously but more to enjoy, feel invigorated to dance, or just uplift your moods!

Paris
Paris
Offered by positivenoise
Price: 4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Paris Makes The Critics Cringe, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: Paris (Audio CD)
This is Paris Hilton's first album titled PARIS. If you enjoy music for all occasions then this is for you. The catchy pop songs accompanied by the dance productions by the master of sounds Scott Storch will be sure to get the dance feeling up and strong!

There are many styles of music to enjoy in this album. They range from the reggae-infused "Stars Are Blind" for the romantics at heart, to the sexier songs like, "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" and "Turn You On". Hip-hop lovers may enjoy "Fightin' Over Me" since the beats are fresh and Fat Joe is featured. Dance fans will find "Turn It Up" to capture their club moods. Aside these tracks, there are many other songs that are sure to get you off your feet and ready to dance up a storm or just sit back and take pleasure in.

Other not as dance standout tracks include the following: "I Want You" with elements from the movie "Grease", "Nothing In This World" for pop lovers who like to feel happy and wound up for more, "Jealousy" that brings about issues many face today displaying forgiveness, attitude, and self-confidence, "Screwed", and "Not Leaving Without You" both having the catchy pop/rock/dance blends. Slower songs include the romantic sensual "Heartbeat" with breathier, softer vocal tones.

Ray of Light
Ray of Light
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Electronica Veronica: A Mantra of Healing & Enriched Enlightment, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: Ray of Light (Audio CD)
The music in Ray of Light is from a time in Madonna's life when she was discovering her reason in life, her spirituality, her enlightenment and her purpose. It is like a rebirth and the artwork blue [water] cover reflects the meaning of much of the elements throughout the songs; A cleansing/healing experience and a self-discovery. This album will take you on that journey. It has electronic, ambient, and pop sounds meshed together!

Songs like "Drowned World/Substitute For Love" address the issues of how money, fame, and certain substitutes for happiness like drugs don't bring you the fulfillments of life. "Shanti/Ashtangi" the saying [vibration when saying] brings a feeling of bliss and happiness. It is from 2 prayers that gives soothing to the soul and much healing powers as well as uplifting feeling. Madonna used modern sound with both prayers to create the effect. It is definitely one of the highlights of the album in bringing much bliss and in putting the theme very center stage.

The sound has much influences from tech-no and trance effects definitely using electronic style effects. Madonna worked with William Orbit [co-producer] to create such a phenomenal sound. Songs like "Frozen", and "The Power of Good-bye" are but a few that display much tech-no trance styles along with "Swim" that are Euro infused and addicting in nature.

The meanings behind the music are what also impact; It's about the listener relating to the tracks. As in "Frozen" you can not love unless your heart is open. That is one of my favorite songs on the album and the main reason I bought it at first. "Nothing Really Matters" is about letting your past mistakes "go" and letting your future be new starts. It also brings into the message that Karma does exist and that it is important to embrace the now rather than the past.

After working in Evita: The Complete Motion Picture Music Soundtrack and having a baby Madonna got inspired to work with him [William Orbit] who is also in Madonna's newest album MDNA (Deluxe). This musical experience is like no other. Both Madonna and William Orbit created a masterpiece of hits and tracks talked about even decades later today. Pop is combined with tech-no/electronic; Making tech-no music emotional-something never done before by any other music artist in history.

All Nite (Don't Stop)/I Want You
All Nite (Don't Stop)/I Want You
Offered by LEWKS1973
Price: 1.65

5.0 out of 5 stars For Unlimited R&B Junkies, 21 Oct 2012
This is from Janet's album titled DAMITA JO and features the title track backed by the slower sounding song I WANT YOU. This comes housed in a slim-line jewel case and the production is definitely worth the price tag getting you in the moods to dance, sing, and enjoy for sure!

ALL NITE (DON'T STOP) (3:26) has the super energetic music to want to make anybody feel like moving non-stop. This is one of my favorite songs from the first time I heard the song and saw the video. It makes me feel like dancing, shaking, and going wild. The rhythm is excellent and the up-tempo styles with varied beats are highly addictive and intoxicating. Not to mention, the vocals and singing ranges are very catchy and alluring.

I WANT YOU (3:58) is another great song. The fact the second song is different is a huge plus. Variety is always the best way to go! The theme is also great to compliment the sensual moods from the first. The words are sung quite eloquently by Janet and very soft in sound making it another Janet favorite. The lyrics are somewhat sticky and infectious for R&B lovers thus making any true fan want to sing along or just bounce back and forth. My favorite part would have to be, "...baby have your way with me because you know that I want it... I need you body and soul..." This song is still another one of my top favorites from the album although not fast or dancelike.

Lose My Breath / Game Over
Lose My Breath / Game Over
Offered by CD USA
Price: 10.78

5.0 out of 5 stars *Powerfully* Fulfilled!, 21 Oct 2012
This is from the album "Destiny Fulfilled" [Bonus Track on Asian Edition and Bonus Track for Japan]. This single has fast paced beats, heavy booming bass and much chirping clapping beats on track one and then a different type tempo on the second with a slower R&B style sure to get you in an array of moods.

"Lose My Breath" 4:02 is a a super charged song filled with much pizazz! The thumpin' bass lines, heavy pounding beats and excellent vocals make this an all time favorite Destiny's Child song. The groove is fulfilled as the song takes a dive to moments of sheer fantasy, love, and much more! My favorite part of the words are: "Ooo, I put it right there made it easy for you to get to Now you want to act like you don't know what to do After I done did everything that you asked... Grabbed you, grind you, liked you, tried you Move so fast baby now I can't find you." In short, the dance beats, R&B hip-hop styles accompanied by the words make this a smashing track.

"Game Over" 4:03 is the song to listen to when you want to fantasize and just feel romantic. The mellow R&B and singing are rampant and very pleasant. "Your just God sent, Oh the way that you be talking Has got my attention And I ain't doing nothing but listening." It's got that sensual desire theme. "Nobody ever could handle this like you...". Nice jam to hook up with that special someone and get sweet and cozy with. Or for listening, romanticizing and reminiscing. For couples who break up, this song is a nice one to come together and get back.

Te Busque
Te Busque
Offered by MMT-UK
Price: 5.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Light Behind The Darkest Tunnel: Just Maybe?.., 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: Te Busque (Audio CD)
This European Import is part of a 2 CD set from Nelly Furtado's album LOOSE. While this 2-track single has the white and yellow cover housed in the slim-line jewel case the other one has the white and light blue style. This CD single is filled with emotionally filled lyrics in English and Spanish highlighting the essence of love. The featured artist Juanes is a plus in bringing different cultures in a fabulous single! If you really are a big Nelly fan then this will be to your liking.

TE BUSQUE ENGLISH VERSION [3:39] ~ Have you ever felt like giving up because of the pain of loosing a love? Did you ever feel like you were going crazy? Have you felt like not eating, not living, or not breathing? Well this song will be empathetic to those feelings as your hopes surface and the light totally comes through as the love you never imagined came and glowed right in front of your face. Like a ray of light the music takes you to a beautiful scenario of how things can change when you are at your darkest hour. From tears in the eyes and not eating to a lovely ending of "healing the wounds" and finally feeling alive and "in love". Juanes sings very good. The melody of the music highlights the words nicely with much drums, Spanish elements, and nice bass-lines.

TE BUSQUE SPANISH VERSION [3:38] ~ This song is the same as the previous track but it is sung in Spanish with Juanes and Nelly. If you don't know Spanish this is a nice track to learn. The lyrics are available in the LOOSE Summer Limited Edition. The music has a mixture and a blend of both Spanish and English cultures. It's a beautiful duet emphasizing the end of all the searching and finding the perfect soul mate!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20