Profile for TedMaUL > Reviews

Shine On [International Version]
Shine On [International Version]
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Jet do it again, 5 Oct. 2006
After a year of rubbish new albums (Snow Patrol, Keane, Razorlight, The Killers...etc) its nice to hear a band that can do no wrong. This album is excellent. It rocks, it has great hooks, the pop/rock sensibility of the Beatles, the usual great vocals and tight playing, a groove you can escape into.

Shiny Magazine is the best song of the year.

Sam's Town
Sam's Town
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars More sophmore syndrome, 5 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Sam's Town (Audio CD)
Firstly, sorry for using the dreadful word 'sophmore' in the title but you get my drift.

In a year of disappointing follow ups and bands that seem to have lost their magic I had high hopes the The Killers would buck the trend. They haven't.

Hot Fuss is one of the best albums of a generation and obviously difficult to follow, but I wasnt expecting anything as good as Hot Fuss. Even with this in mind the album is a let down on so many levels. Gone is the magic, gone is the strong sense of melody. In comes out of tune, out of range vocals. Awkward atonal vocal lines mar just about every song. The Killers changed for the sake of it and clearly didnt see the compliment of being called the best british band not from britain.

Unfortunately, on my MP3 player the song Mr. Brightside follows this album and any merit I did hear in the new material suddenly vanishes.

God this is so disappointing

Smile...It Confuses People
Smile...It Confuses People
Offered by Qoolist

3.0 out of 5 stars Dont be a snob, 13 Jun. 2006
Yes, we all know that this is just as manufactured as James Blunt and KT Tunstall, and you know what? It's just as good as those 2 excellent products of the corporate bigwigs. I loved Blunt's album, I really liked Tunstall- this album is somewhere in between.Ironically, music snobs will shun this artist just to showcase their independent thinking. Its their loss.

Personally, I hated 'I wish I was..' and it wasnt until I heard 'What if I'm right' that I thought I would give this one a go.

If you hear a more catchy song than 'What if I'm right' this summer then its a good season for pop music.

The songs are not earth shatteringly innovative by any means, but they are super-slick slices of country/blues tinged pop. This girl is a combination of KT tunstall and Shania Twain, her false american accent is irritating but dont let that bother you too much.

memories of lame releases by Keane/Snow Patrol this summer are banished by this wonderfully sunny record. Give it a go

Emily
Emily
Offered by InfinityBuys

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice melody, shame about evertything else, 17 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Emily (Audio CD)
After all the hype, I finally got round to giving this one some serious attention...and it disappoints on so many levels. First, Fretwell's vocals are a love 'em or hate 'em affair. His lazy rambling approach may be part of his charm to some but I just think it just exposes him as someone who simply can't sing. His falsetto is laughable.
Then there's the lyrics: 'and if you should fall, please dont call' 'next time you write, i wont stay up all night'. I'm not joking, he really says this. I'm surprised he resisted rhyming 'mad-bad-sad'.
On a positive note, the song is catchy and there is a nice enough melody to hold your interest for a few listens. Just dont believe the hype about this one.

Do You Want To [CD 1]
Do You Want To [CD 1]

2.0 out of 5 stars not bad, just not that good, 16 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Do You Want To [CD 1] (Audio CD)
Having been listening to the song for a few weeks now I have discovered that there just isn't enough depth to this one to keep me interested. It's a catchy pop song and if it was released by a different band then I might give it a better rating but because it stands next to previous FF releases, it pales in comparison. I actually preferred the demo version of this song which had a much heavier edge to it.
Thankfully it is one of the new album's weaker tracks, and I can think of a couple of songs that didnt make the cut which were better than this- namely the sublime 'this is where pop happens' which has future monster hit written all over it.